Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 04:02 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Questions I have to the OP:
What electronics aren't made in Asia these days?
Why do I care what Chinese wages are? I don't know what things cost over there.
- The issue is not that its made in Asia.
- Nobody can convince you to care about anything.

The issue is not the wages, but rather that the majority of their factories were not even following labor laws. 25% or so were not even paying their minimum wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Uh - Apple is a computer/hardware manufacture. Microsoft is not. I'd say that they're simply protecting their intellectual property.
Apple is not really a manufacture. More so a hardware retailer. Their computers are built from standard components, they are just modded a bit (You can without too much effort get OS X to run on any old PC, so called hackintosh). Their ipods, iphones, etc are built with components made by other companies. They merely design and create the software for them.

What intellectual property are they protecting exactly? Allowing OS X to run on PC hardware not sold by them does not remove their intellectual property rights. They only allow their OS to run on the hardware they sell because they are making a killing off the hardware they sell. If they opened up OS X they'd actually have to compete with other companies.

Quote:
And yes, a large part of their OSX is opensource as they rely heavily on the opensource community. Which is the opposite of what MS is doing.
OS X is using the open source community while contributing zero to it.

Quote:
Finally - with regards to the article. Its not Apple's facility... its their suppliers.
Apple does not manufacture anything themselves, so this distinction is immaterial. The final assembly of Apple's products is done in China, the more sophisticated components (GPU, Screens, etc) are imported to China from the US and Japan.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:19 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
I could care less.
This attitude is what is killing our economy.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:32 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
I could care less.
As for me, I couldn't care less. Sorry you can.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:47 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
The issue is not the wages, but rather that the majority of their factories were not even following labor laws. 25% or so were not even paying their minimum wage.
Ok, then, to rephrase it:

Since the issue is not the wages - for all of us who aren't Chinese, what is the big deal about someone in China not following communist Chinese law?

Old 07-17-2009, 08:36 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Apple products are extremely overpriced. I'll take a $300 notebook anyday.
And you'll get just that, a $300.00 notebook!

In about one year it will make a nice paper weight.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:02 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
- The issue is not that its made in Asia.
- Nobody can convince you to care about anything.

"25% or so were not even paying their minimum wage."

and companies are doing the same to illegals here..
so I hear....

I'd say at least 90% of the employees at wally world could not buy a home if they had to because of the low wages at wally world..

Do you care about those people????

If you do I'll let you know the next time they have a picket line here and you can join it..

Mac's Rock....

The above message brought to you by a Mac Mini....

Old 07-18-2009, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Since the issue is not the wages - for all of us who aren't Chinese, what is the big deal about someone in China not following communist Chinese law?
If you think violating labor laws (that are not particularly strict in the first place) and essentially running a sweat shop is okay, then there is no much to say.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
and companies are doing the same to illegals here..
so I hear....
So? Two wrongs don't make a right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Do you care about those people????

Last edited by Global Friend; 07-20-2009 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: Allegations like these should be posted with links to back them up.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:55 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,795,107 times
Quote:
I'm sure they abuse Chinese workers just as Apple does.
Why do you keep blaming Apple for the actions of their subcontractors?

Is it some sort of personal grudge? You want to prove that PC's are superior? You just feel like violating CD's TOS with libelous statements?

I use suppliers too, and while I hope that they treat their employees well, I can't babysit them all. Why should Apple have to do so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics