Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 04:13 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,082,500 times

Advertisements

The case-shiller for May just came out and it like other indicators is improving!

Home Prices Post Monthly Increase - WSJ.com

Most of the media is talking about the not seasonally adjusted numbers, which increased. The seasonally adjusted numbers declined just a bit, but are improving. See both at:

S&P | Indices > Alternative Indices - S&P/Case-Shiller® Home Price Indices - Home Price Values

Stabilization during the selling season at least historically has meant that the worst is over and prices will decline a modest amount in real terms during the off-season for the next few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 05:52 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,853,903 times
Default Good news

Score another one for the Optimists
Yes things are starting to look up. Real estate could be at the bottom now.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:09 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,829,971 times
Is it improving like the unemployment/foreclosure/bank failure rate? Just curious if it matches those others as well.

Real estate is not at the bottom in Seattle. It just keeps getting worse. I'm talking commercial real estate. The single family home sell ratio had an uptick. It's summer....whaddya know. The condo market is still so bad, they're talking about converting many to "low income" homes. "Bout freakin' time. Low income here is 46,075 a year, by the way.

The commercial real estate market here is taking a beating, and pretty soon, unless something drastic happens, I see a lot of commerical real estate companies going bankrupt. They're having a real hard time getting loans, when their value has went kaput.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:12 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,312,024 times
Usually with these bubbles it takes about the same amount of time to bottom out as it did to reach the peak.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:39 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,918,197 times
After the last recession it took housing around 8 - 10 years to really recover. No-one is talking about going back to the boom times. What we are looking for is evidence that we are pretty much at the bottom and beginning the long and arduous climb back.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:46 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,288,953 times
Before the pumpmonkeys all jump up and down and pee their pants in glee, a quick read of Bill McBride's comments on seasonal adjustments to the Case-Shiller numbers is in order:

Case-Shiller House Price Seasonal Adjustment and Comparison to Stress Tests

Seems that when one normalizes the data for the very pronounced seasonal trend this time of year, it was still a (small) decline Y-O-Y.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:52 PM

2,221 posts, read 5,288,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
After the last recession it took housing around 8 - 10 years to really recover. No-one is talking about going back to the boom times. What we are looking for is evidence that we are pretty much at the bottom and beginning the long and arduous climb back.
The last recession wasn't caused by a debt implosion and financial system collapse. The last time we saw that was GD I, and it took a lot longer than 8-10 years to recover. It was more like 25 years.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:42 PM

975 posts, read 1,754,684 times
I know a lot of successful people and none are negative and lack hope. Ever. They know things are never perfect for one and that within each problem lies an opportunity. It's sort of game to out create the problems life throws at you. And, of course, if you're winning the game what's there to make you feel negative?

Just that info alone should make it easy to figure out who the winner's in life are whether out in the real world or on the internet.

That's why I preach to my kids to avoid negative people like the plague. Any idiot can see the reason why something can't work, but success is reserved for those to focused on achieving to notice all those reasons why they should fail.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
The last recession wasn't caused by a debt implosion and financial system collapse. The last time we saw that was GD I, and it took a lot longer than 8-10 years to recover. It was more like 25 years.
So nothing to do with the Savings and Loans failure then. There are plenty of parallels between this recession and the one at the end of the 1980s including failure of a major component of the financial system (which was also bailed out by govt.) and a collapse in property values. There are far fewer parallels with the GD.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderx View Post
I know a lot of successful people and none are negative and lack hope. Ever. They know things are never perfect for one and that within each problem lies an opportunity. It's sort of game to out create the problems life throws at you. And, of course, if you're winning the game what's there to make you feel negative?

Just that info alone should make it easy to figure out who the winner's in life are whether out in the real world or on the internet.

That's why I preach to my kids to avoid negative people like the plague. Any idiot can see the reason why something can't work, but success is reserved for those to focused on achieving to notice all those reasons why they should fail.
Tons of opportunity out there. Not just opportunity to make money but also opportunity to take advantage of depressed values and prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics