Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 01:31 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I think a lawsuit is justified if part of the condition of the education contract is employment or a certain amount of foot work done by the institution in relation to employment.

Many colleges, especially private institutions, will tout their ability to find employment for their grads, or the employment rate of their graduates. If a person goes to this particuliar school based on these things, and finds them to be false, I fully believe there should be some retribution.
Back to the original point of this post. And your view is ridiculous. What education contract do you think was in force? Did the university commit in writing to doing a certain amount of work to get their graduates a job? Even if they promoted their career center or other help - the student still has to compete. And the 2.7 GPA (and I suspect other shortcomings of the person in question) just wasn't good enough. Any promotion of employment rates would be presented as historical and not a prediction of the future.

Remember - the job market is tough for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 02:54 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Back to the original point of this post. And your view is ridiculous. What education contract do you think was in force?
If the college promoted advertisements such as "100% student placement", and failed to negate that claim in written signed paper work, the promotion could be considered a verbal guarantee.

Quote:
Did the university commit in writing to doing a certain amount of work to get their graduates a job?
I dont know if the University commited to doing any amount of work, I dont have any of the details sitting in my lap. Hence, why I said IF.

Quote:
Even if they promoted their career center or other help - the student still has to compete.
If the school advertised a certain unconditional placement guarantee as part of the educational contract, she would NOT have to compete to receive the benefit of that guarantee.

Quote:
And the 2.7 GPA (and I suspect other shortcomings of the person in question) just wasn't good enough. Any promotion of employment rates would be presented as historical and not a prediction of the future.
Who are you to make that call? Are you an attorney or admissions officer for the school she attended? Do you have intimate knowledge of everything she signed or was guaranteed? No? Ok then.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:49 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,857,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Stac2007 wrote:
Well if you had the choice of two doctors, one who earned a 2.7 GPA in college and another whose GPA was a 3.5 which one would you choose?
A doctors GPA is totally irrelevant in my selection process. I'd present my questions to both of them and base my selection on their responses. GPA has little correlation with street smarts. GPA indicates that one is a good student, but it provides no guarantee of on-the-job excellence.
So if a med student received a 2.7 grade on his/her understanding of the human heart that would not bother you? I don't understand your way of thinking.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:12 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
Stac2007 wrote:
So if a med student received a 2.7 grade on his/her understanding of the human heart that would not bother you? I don't understand your way of thinking.
No, it would not bother me becasue I wouldn't ask about their GPA. I'd present my questions and base my selection on the responses and wether or not I felt comfortable with the person. That strategy works very well for me. If knowing the doctor has a high GPA works for you...go for it!

Old 08-13-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post

You are assuming that GPA is based on that particuliar med students understanding of the human heart. There lies the problem.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:47 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Randomdude - I have never heard of a college advertising, claiming, or otherwise assuring their students of 100% placement. That would be utterly stupid for a college to do. If one did - then they would clearly be at risk if a graduate didn't find a job. Right now - with the economy the way it is - it would be a huge problem.

The only kind of educational institution that might do this is one of the trade schools that advertises "tech" degrees on late night TV.

I have a child in college now, and another in a year. I assure you I have not seen nor heard any commitments made about my children getting jobs after they graduate. They talk about services available - but no promises.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Randomdude - I have never heard of a college advertising, claiming, or otherwise assuring their students of 100% placement. That would be utterly stupid for a college to do. If one did - then they would clearly be at risk if a graduate didn't find a job. Right now - with the economy the way it is - it would be a huge problem.

The only kind of educational institution that might do this is one of the trade schools that advertises "tech" degrees on late night TV.

I have a child in college now, and another in a year. I assure you I have not seen nor heard any commitments made about my children getting jobs after they graduate. They talk about services available - but no promises.
And if this were the case, the student would have absolutely no claim, I agree. However, I do not know what she was given, or signed, and thats why I said, IF a particuliar institution made some guarantee.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:00 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
Update about the college, seems it is a trade school misrepresenting itself as a 4 year college. The measure of a students standing in the workplace, the default rate on loans, for this college from students is 9.5%, compared to 1.5% of average college students. With a cost of $2,300 a semester for instate students.

Follow Up: Sued College Ain't Exactly Harvard

Old 08-17-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Update about the college, seems it is a trade school misrepresenting itself as a 4 year college. The measure of a students standing in the workplace, the default rate on loans, for this college from students is 9.5%, compared to 1.5% of average college students. With a cost of $2,300 a semester for instate students.

Follow Up: Sued College Ain't Exactly Harvard

A Trade school huh? Now I wouldnt doubt that they fed her some BS about getting her a job after graduation.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:46 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
About 12 years ago when I was making a transition from being a burned out mortgage loan officer to the hot career field of IT, I started calling around to the local ( I lived in Virginia Beach at the time ) IT training schools. I new nothing about IT, so my opening question was very general, something like....What do you recommend, what's the best field to get into. They ALL recommended pursuing a Microsoft certification known as MCSE ( Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer ). Of course the courses required would set me back about $12,000. I enrolled in the first weeklong crash course which only cost a cool $2000. Almost from the get go, I started having a STRONG feeling that I was getting ripped off, but I hung-in-there and completed it anyway and passed the Microsoft exam a few weeks later. Nonetheless, the feeling of being ripped off persisted. My feeling was confirmed when I started browsing thru the IT section of the local Barnes and Noble. On the shelf were all of the books, containing all of the information, practice exercises, practice exams etc, for about $50 a book. The little bit of extra help provided in the classroom was not worth the extra $1950 ...to me, so I decided that I'd teach myself from the books. After passing the second Microsoft exam in the series, I admitted to myself that Systems Engineerding was not my cup of tea, but I was hooked on doing something in IT. I eventually discovered programming and taught myself with a combination of books, online courses, cds etc, spending less than $1000 in the process. In less than a year after leaving the mortgage industry I had my first fulltime IT job, with no degree, and no real world experience on my resume. Fortunately I'm a great communicator and I'm able to create a favorable impression during interviews, convincing the interviewer that I could do the job. From my studies and hands on practice, I also had the ability to pass a job related test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics