Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 06:50 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times

Advertisements

Adult discussion? It is more fun to talk about how two years ago all the nuts thought we'd all be in souplines. Why get serious now?

Even the mean nutty type economists from any political persuasion don't advocate stuffing money into mattresses. Some have personally turned their back on anything other than the lowest risk kind of investing, but that is mostly because they are fabulously wealthy from book deals: How Paul Krugman found politics : The New Yorker

If you can find some non-hysteria motivated type news that might be interesting, but otherwise...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 06:50 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
You're killing me Chet but I can't rep you yet.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:37 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Adult discussion? It is more fun to talk about how two years ago all the nuts thought we'd all be in souplines. Why get serious now?

Even the mean nutty type economists from any political persuasion don't advocate stuffing money into mattresses. Some have personally turned their back on anything other than the lowest risk kind of investing, but that is mostly because they are fabulously wealthy from book deals: How Paul Krugman found politics : The New Yorker

If you can find some non-hysteria motivated type news that might be interesting, but otherwise...
But you still haven't responded to my question about you're working for a bank?

Old 02-23-2010, 09:16 PM

No.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
No.
Oh, ok. I just wondered since you seem to want to represent bankers interest most. I could be wrong but it sure seems that way.......

Old 02-23-2010, 10:06 PM

I just posted a reply to some dude that is 37 years old and wants to cash his meager $45K tsp. What it gonna do with that? The guy needs to saving for his retirement and folks that go around spreading nonsense about the 'sky falling' really harms the planning that folks ought to be doing.

I ain't funny, it is twisted.

I remember a similar sort of thinking striking some back when the dot com stocks were cratering. One guy that I knew who otherwise struck me as pretty bright cashed out his sizable 401k and bought a BMW X5. That SUV is probably now worth less than a year old Corolla. If that guy had spent a little more time looking at the success of the iPod maybe he would have left some money invested in Apple and now that $50K would be worth around a quarter of a million dollars.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
I just posted a reply to some dude that is 37 years old and wants to cash his meager $45K tsp. What it gonna do with that? The guy needs to saving for his retirement and folks that go around spreading nonsense about the 'sky falling' really harms the planning that folks ought to be doing.

I ain't funny, it is twisted.

I remember a similar sort of thinking striking some back when the dot com stocks were cratering. One guy that I knew who otherwise struck me as pretty bright cashed out his sizable 401k and bought a BMW X5. That SUV is probably now worth less than a year old Corolla. If that guy had spent a little more time looking at the success of the iPod maybe he would have left some money invested in Apple and now that $50K would be worth around a quarter of a million dollars.
all well and good but it's all to easy to forget that money is an illusion that is man made. That said, there is no way in hell I'd have most, or all, of my money in banks or stocks that can suck it out from under me in less than a heart beat. While the money mongers want a person to give them their money the smart man will secure those things that will sustain him without money so that money isn't the be all end all that people are tricked into believing it is.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:29 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
Putting your money in your mattress just makes it easier for someone to steal it.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
I'm paid down in debt..should be all paid off by next year.
Not stuffing my mattress fully but I do have some ...just in case

Cash is king right now..you'll be ready to swoop in when no one else can.
Millionaires were made during the Great Depression. These were the ones that had cash.
When all debt wiped out other people..these cash ready guys came in on the bottom floor.

We will crash sooner or later (hope for later) so the system can be purged of debt.
Then the cycle will start all over again. Just look at history if you don't believe.

Economies, history operate in cycles rather then linear. They've all imploded in the past and they have all recovered. Just don't get caught short like our illustrious official economists who "never saw it coming".

Old 02-24-2010, 01:04 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
You nailed it. Cash is King, without question.
sorry Cash is not king...cash is the most dangerous thing to have now. Big inflation is coming and your cash will be worth 50 cents on the dollar when all is said and done. This government firmly believes in Keynesian philosophies and will print any amount of dollars needed to cover any and all private losses. Inflating our way out of the current and forthcoming crisis is the only resolution for us, there is no other solution right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics