Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 10:27 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
If you are an expert then please list me 10 anesthetics that were fully developed and invented by big pharm. I dont mean an anestetic that was improved slightly and repackaged.
You dont even know enough about the subject to ask the proper questions. They have not been "slightly" improved at all. Slight changes in chemical structures have led to GREAT improvements in fluorinated compounds, opiates, benzodiazepines, and GABA compounds, but it took considerable R&D to figure out what those slight changes were. If it were that easy, we would have the perfect anesthetic already. I assure you there is no money to be made by holding back the perfect anesthetic. There is only a downside. Any drug I name can always be traced back to it's origin, and I can already see that that is the game you plan on playing with me, so what is the point. I am not playing a game. You try to change everything to fit your bizarre model of the world, but luckily, most people live in reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 10:36 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
but i haven't seen one thing that the government got involved in that resulted in improvement.
There are many: roads, the mails, parks, rural electrification, sewers, sanitation and public health, erosion control, flood control, riverine navigation, workplace health and safety.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 03-16-2010 at 10:45 AM..

Old 03-16-2010, 10:41 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I assure you there is no money to be made by holding back the perfect anesthetic. There is only a downside.
You are exactly right about this, and that would be the only reason Pharm would have any interests pursuing it. Anesthetics have no place in the cure of anything, and are continuously needed, so, they are almost like "treating a symptom". Pharm is VERY good at making me people "feel better" and become dependent upon their drugs to feel better. However, they cure nothing.

Quote:
Any drug I name can always be traced back to it's origin, and I can already see that that is the game you plan on playing with me, so what is the point.
Not exactly true. Many of the mind control drugs Pharm comes out with are proprietary and pretty much based in their own R&D.

Quote:
I am not playing a game. You try to change everything to fit your bizarre model of the world, but luckily, most people live in reality.
No, I live in the real world which you refuse to acknowledge because of your own professional biases.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:11 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
You still have no clue what a strawman is. Referring to anything I said in this whole post as a strawman is a demonstration of that fact.
It was meant as an ironic commentary on the quality of some of your arguments.

But hey, at least you are responding to things that posters have written instead of your constant evasion and misrepresentation when called on your looney hyperbole.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
You dont even know enough about the subject to ask the proper questions. They have not been "slightly" improved at all. Slight changes in chemical structures have led to GREAT improvements in fluorinated compounds, opiates, benzodiazepines, and GABA compounds, but it took considerable R&D to figure out what those slight changes were. If it were that easy, we would have the perfect anesthetic already. I assure you there is no money to be made by holding back the perfect anesthetic. There is only a downside. Any drug I name can always be traced back to it's origin, and I can already see that that is the game you plan on playing with me, so what is the point. I am not playing a game. You try to change everything to fit your bizarre model of the world, but luckily, most people live in reality.
Can you hook me up with some of those mind control drugs capt. science here is talking about? I have some serious yardwork to get done this weekend and don't want any guff from my kids.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:28 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,200,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It was meant as an ironic commentary on the quality of some of your arguments.

But hey, at least you are responding to things that posters have written instead of your constant evasion and misrepresentation when called on your looney hyperbole.

Im still looking for examples of this......

Old 03-16-2010, 02:11 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Can you hook me up with some of those mind control drugs capt. science here is talking about? I have some serious yardwork to get done this weekend and don't want any guff from my kids.
The only stuff Ive got around here that even resembles that is Sodium Pentothal (truth serum). They wont feel like doing much yard work, but they WILL tell you who really broke the vase in the living room.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
The only stuff Ive got around here that even resembles that is Sodium Pentothal (truth serum). They wont feel like doing much yard work, but they WILL tell you who really broke the vase in the living room.
I will probably just use something over the counter....like McDonalds. That will compel them to do my bidding! Muah ha ha!

Old 03-16-2010, 02:26 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I hold with capitalism but I don't hold with the buggers running hog wild. There need to be controls; the best control IMO is a union so the workers can negotiate for good wages and conditions and fund lobbying forces. I reckon that's why American Capitalists fight unions harder than they fight any other form of control over them.
i can't say i agree with you there, tom. i might have at one time, but we JUST saw the unions sell out all other workers for a bigger share of the health care pie for themselves, and don't get me started on the GM bailout. people see america as a sinking ship and evidently it is every man for himself anymore.
did they lift a hand to stop illegal immigration? heck no, the AFL/CIO is championing illegal immigrants and their rights as oppressed workers.....

unions are just another layer of dues and bureaucracy for workers now.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:28 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
unions are just another layer of dues and bureaucracy for workers now.

I made about twice as much money as non union workers doing what I did plus I was able to retire at 55 on a union controlled and fully funded pension. For that the dues (3.5%) and bureaucracy were a good deal.

Like any other economic entity a union exists to benefit itself and it's members and as such need not apologize for looking after it's own interests and not those of society in general; indeed when being selfish it plays it's proper role in the invisible hand that corrects markets.

Of course unions are as prone to folly as any other organizations but I don't hear conservatives arguing that corporations have no further use because so many fail or are prone to folly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics