Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 03:21 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,410,912 times

Advertisements

I think parents should encourage their kids to learn what they're inclined towards, what they're good at, what they care about in terms of their values and activities, and to help them focus on making a living, regardless of the previous interests. This doesn't mean "Talk them into law school" or any such. I mean that the kids should incorporate the need to make a decent living into their plans.
I knew a well-educated (judge and teacher) couple growing up. Their oldest son really loved literature. They talked some about how it would be fine if he, say, became a plumber or got some kind of skill or trade with making a decent living in mind, especially as he hoped to be a husband and father, and to read all the time outside of making a living, talk books, maybe write, but to be able to make a living for the other things in life.
I think he got a PhD and is teaching at UPenn. That is something that probably someone couldn't get these days.
I was always impressed with the parents' values- to be able to make a living somehow, and to follow passions also. Congratulations, Noah!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 06:18 PM

404 posts, read 1,557,716 times
who the hell ever "becomes rich?"

who?

its an lol

Old 03-27-2010, 07:13 PM

18,472 posts, read 15,262,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avant-garde View Post
So confused Any advice or words of wisdom?
The sooner you stop worrying about what other people think, the better off you will be in life. People thinking you are rich has some major drawbacks too, believe me. The end goal of all that we do is happiness. If the little things make you happy, you are a lot better off than someone driving around in a porche, thinking "If I could just get a Ferrari, then I will be happy." There will always be something more expensive than the one you have, and IMHO it is a set up for an unhappy life where you are never satisfied with what you have. I believe if you do what you love to do, the money will follow, and even if it doesn't, you are 1000 times better off than a "rich" person who spends most of their time doing something they hate.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:22 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,543,681 times
Forget about doing what will make you this most money and simply follow your passions. The money will follow. People that seek out professions soley for what the paycheck will be usually do not end up being fulfilled/satisfied/happy.

Also, the truly wealthy (especially old money folk) tend to be very frugal in general. The people driving around in Ferraris and Lambourghinis (sp?) and wearing haute couture directly from the runway every season are usually burning through their cash faster than they can earn it.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:33 AM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avant-garde View Post
Then why is it that so many youngsters (like me) aim for a career that will get them the maximum amount of money rather than something that makes one passionate (and has production/knowledge value), like science/engineering?

Most of the friends I know aim to be surgeons, investment bankers, or lawyers. When asked who wants to be a scientist, or even engineer, there is a look of disgust on their faces.

Maybe it is just at this period in our lives that young adults tend to value more what they can "show off" to others than adults do. Thus, of course having flashy cars, big house, and luxurious lifestyle seems worth way more striving than perhaps, than some career they find more meaningful.

What are your thoughts about money and the enjoyability of life... this is from a male perspective, so it seems that the issue of status really does play a role. Sometimes I wish I were born a woman, since they say that (most) women tend to pick careers based on personal meaningfulness and don't really care as much (and aren't judged as much, obviously) by how much they can bank from their jobs.

I know it is right to pursue a job that one finds more meaningful, but unfortunately it seems that the issue of status (as a male) brings me down to reality... being a scientist sure isn't considered a "sexy", enviable, or high-status career (in terms of wealth). I know there are some out there, but I doubt that many women would choose a scientist over a banker, doctor, or lawyer. I also know the thing about sour grapes and was hoping that wouldn't happen to me one day either. So confused Any advice or words of wisdom?
The magic income that makes people happy is about $40,000 per year. Once you start making more than that, it doesn't add much to your happiness. Once you get beyond 40K, your happiness will have to come from things other than money and the things money can buy. (Relationships and spirituality are the two big things that come to mind). So find a career you enjoy (or at least one you don't hate) where you can reasonably expect to make $40,000 per year or more and then don't worry about what other people are doing. That 40K number is confirmed in the research by psychologists and behavioral economists. High social status does NOT make people happy (also confirmed by happiness researchers).

This is a great blog post on the subject.

New research reveals some new ways to buy happiness, sort of | Penelope Trunk's Brazen Careerist

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 04-01-2010 at 01:07 AM..

Old 04-01-2010, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I don't think anyone considered "rich".
I think it depends on how you define "rich". If you mean "glittering rich" with net worth of $10 million or more, you're right. You usually have to own a business for that (and even then, it's very tough). But lots of people, even people on average to somewhat above average incomes, can accumulate $1 million if they save diligently, starting in their 20s, and invest in good stock mutual funds. $1 million isn't a luxury lifestyle if you want the money to last, but it's a lot more than most people have.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Excellent point. As the book says, stop acting rich and start living like a real millionaire.
Here's the link to the book you were referring to:

Amazon.com: Stop Acting Rich: ...And Start Living Like A Real Millionaire (9780470482551): Thomas J. Stanley: Books

FYI, Stanley's other books were better, but Stop Acting Rich is good enough for someone who's never read the genre.

My personal favorite from the genre is:

Amazon.com: The Difference: How Anyone Can Prosper in Even The Toughest Times (9780307407146): Jean Chatzky: Books

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 04-01-2010 at 01:08 AM..

Old 04-01-2010, 01:14 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,175,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The magic income that makes people happy is about $40,000 per year. Once you start making more than that, it doesn't add much to your happiness. Once you get beyond 40K, your happiness will have to come from things other than money and the things money can buy. (Relationships and spirituality are the two big things that come to mind). So find a career you enjoy (or at least one you don't hate) where you can reasonably expect to make $40,000 per year or more and then don't worry about what other people are doing. That 40K number is confirmed in the research by psychologists and behavioral economists. High social status does NOT make people happy (also confirmed by happiness researchers).

This is a great blog post on the subject.

New research reveals some new ways to buy happiness, sort of | Penelope Trunk's Brazen Careerist
Also see this column I read today:

David Brooks: The Sandra Bullock trade | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Opinion: Viewpoints

Old 04-01-2010, 01:43 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,283,434 times
Most people dream that when they are rich they can finally do whatever they want...

But there is an old saying: "When choosing your work, choose something you love, then you will never work a day in your life..."

Look at it this way... If you were to choose a job you hated to make lots of money (and we assumed it was a typical 9 - 5 job), then:

8 hours a day * 5 days a week = 40 hours a week
4.5 weeks a month (approx) * 40 = 180 hours a month
12 months a year * 180 = 2160 hours a year
Work from 21 to 65 (44 years) * 2160 hours a year = 95,040 hours in your lifetime doing something you hate!

Most people don't like to do something they hate for more than 5 minutes! And the above isn't even including overtime (like a doctor would be almost guaranteed to have to put in).

Disclosure: I'm an engineer and am 24, I make about 2x what my friend who went into finance makes... But he might catch up as I hear their salaries increase quicker than ours.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:27 PM

784 posts, read 2,730,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Most people dream that when they are rich they can finally do whatever they want...

But there is an old saying: "When choosing your work, choose something you love, then you will never work a day in your life..."

Look at it this way... If you were to choose a job you hated to make lots of money (and we assumed it was a typical 9 - 5 job), then:

8 hours a day * 5 days a week = 40 hours a week
4.5 weeks a month (approx) * 40 = 180 hours a month
12 months a year * 180 = 2160 hours a year
Work from 21 to 65 (44 years) * 2160 hours a year = 95,040 hours in your lifetime doing something you hate!

Most people don't like to do something they hate for more than 5 minutes! And the above isn't even including overtime (like a doctor would be almost guaranteed to have to put in).

Disclosure: I'm an engineer and am 24, I make about 2x what my friend who went into finance makes... But he might catch up as I hear their salaries increase quicker than ours.
Most jobs that provide lots of money aren't 9-5 jobs. I imagine that after a certain threshold ($5MM, $10MM), the person could retire early to pursue what he really wants. In the truly high paying jobs, this could be before age 35, not the 65 that you stated. And yes, finance salaries increase much more so than in engineering. For the coveted positions, total compensation should double every 2-3 years or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics