Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 03:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Seems the latest fashion is to cut costs even more in India by hiring non IT graduates for IT work since they can give an even lower salary.

Is company profit all that matters these days ???

Is it worthwhile to hire non-techies for techies' work? - SiliconIndia

"Bangalore: With the new trend being set up by IT firms to hire non-techies to do techies' work, it seems that working hard at engineering colleges for 3-4 years to enter this field is worthless.
But all these firms who are hiring these non-techies believe that quality of the work will not be affected by hiring non-engineering graduates, as these non-techies are being hired for testing software applications and managing computer infrastructure, in order to do more with fewer staff and at lower wages than computer engineers.

It is believed that from nearly 10 percent of their current workforce, non-engineering graduates could account for nearly 20-25 percent of the staff at companies such as TCS, Wipro and HCL, over the next one to two years."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 07:10 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,744,592 times
The IT industry was created and supported by people who didn't have 4 year computer engineering degrees, it's only in the last few years that this 4 year degree was a requirement. I think the college degree requirement is more about keeping colleges relevant than really preparing someone to have the real world knowledge to support computer systems. In the 90's you could make more money than senior accountants as a system administrator without any college or certifications. This jealousy has more to do with college degree requirements than any real necessity.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:40 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Any basic phone tech support I've ever run across has to follow a script anyway, so I can see them cutting costs this way.

I mean, really, how many degrees does it take to hold up the tech support end of a conversation like this?

"Hello, this is Joe. I am your tech support technician. May I have your name please?"

"Harry Chickpea"

"May I calling you Harry?"

"Yes."

"Good day Harry. How may I being of helping you this fine day?"

"Its raining and there is a tornado outside, and I just saw Toto and Dorothy flying by on a bicycle."

"I am sorry that it is raining there on this fine day. How may I being of helping you?"

"My R-2 unit has a bad motivator."

"Have you tried re-booting your R-2 unit by removing the power cord and then plugging it back in to the wall socket?"

"I don't have any wall sockets. I get my power from a fakir over in the science forum who is living on sunshine and has a socket between his buttocks."

"That must be Steven. He was let go recently as was looking for more suitable work. He is a very bright fellow. Have you removed the power cord from Steven's buttocks and then reinserted it?"

"Uhhh, no."

"Please do that now. I will hold."

(sounds of scuffle and screaming in the background)

"Well I'll be darned. That seems to have solved the problem!"

"Is there anything else I can helping you with today, Mr. Harry?"

"Nope, that'll do it."

"Thanking you and have a nice rainy day. My name is Joe, and I will write that your problem was solved."

Old 05-01-2010, 05:49 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,597,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That has been all that mattered for quite some time, where have you been?

I work in support in my company and the amount of different products we have, combined with different software we have, supporting it is no small feat in insanity. Compared to anything I've seen, our support is pretty darn good.

I dread anytime I need to call tech support. After I educate the 1st 2nd and 3rd lvl guys on their own product, I usually get a basic "I'm sorry I can't help you.".
Thanks for wasting my time

Old 05-02-2010, 12:03 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
Wipro is one of the big Indian IT corps that many of the large the corps here use to offshore their help. That way it is easier for the corps here, they just sign a contract with the wipros of the world, rather than have to interview and hire and do bkgd checks on their own.

I think the Indian business "wall street journal" of sorts is "Business Standard" if you want to keep a pulse on all things Indian business.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:15 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Seems the latest fashion is to cut costs even more in India by hiring non IT graduates for IT work since they can give an even lower salary.

Is it worthwhile to hire non-techies for techies' work? - SiliconIndia

"Bangalore: With the new trend being set up by IT firms to hire non-techies to do techies' work, it seems that working hard at engineering colleges for 3-4 years to enter this field is worthless.
But all these firms who are hiring these non-techies believe that quality of the work will not be affected by hiring non-engineering graduates, as these non-techies are being hired for testing software applications and managing computer infrastructure, in order to do more with fewer staff and at lower wages than computer engineers.

It is believed that from nearly 10 percent of their current workforce, non-engineering graduates could account for nearly 20-25 percent of the staff at companies such as TCS, Wipro and HCL, over the next one to two years."
Looking at many economies around the world, the answer is obvious.

Globalization is just a away to drive down wages and pit worker against workers. The plan is working quite well.

YouTube - What Is Globalization? - Noam Chomsky

Old 05-02-2010, 07:43 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,807 times
I have always called it a race to the bottom. It will drive down wages for almost all workers.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
I have always called it a race to the bottom. It will drive down wages for almost all workers.
Me too collegeguy35..see my sig.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:25 PM

4,904 posts, read 3,361,298 times
No wonder so much of the software being released these days is so buggy LOL....

Old 05-02-2010, 09:29 PM

4,904 posts, read 3,361,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Looking at many economies around the world, the answer is obvious.

Globalization is just a away to drive down wages and pit worker against workers. The plan is working quite well.

YouTube - What Is Globalization? - Noam Chomsky
That's why the new economic order cannot last and some new ideology will rise up to challenge it. Islamic fundamentalism, maybe even a rebirth of Communism, is something to watch for in the future...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics