Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 07:33 AM

549 posts, read 1,929,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Most Rural town lack jobs, There main export is there kids, From what I've read, and seen most Rural town, support there school, and the kids get a good education, move on to college or into the work force. But the town are hurting as the kids leave to find work, they never get back. The population start to go down, There are less people to buy the stuff so the stores close.
It's sad. I was really considering to teach out in the Midwest (I'm from the East Coast). There were two deterrents though - the demographics and the tornadoes! Like you said, most of the kids move on to college never to return. Some don't want to return to the "slow life" while others stay where the jobs are. I'm in my mid 20s and it'd be difficult for me to find people my own age with whom to associate. And then, of course, tornadoes are fairly self explanatory
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 01:02 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,826,998 times
Tornadoes are unlikely to strike you, though. I've been near two in my life. One injured a person. Both did some damage. They didn't last long and didn't come near my house. A tornado is no more likely to kill you than a flood or a hurricane or an earthquake. Any where you go has its dangers. You just learn to deal with them. I'd rather live in the Midwest and deal with tornadoes than live on the Gulf Coast and deal with hurricanes every other year (at least) or on the West Coast and deal with earthquakes.

Most kids or residents where I live do leave, but most don't seem to go far. They go to the larger cities in the area. Some go very far away, but most I know of either stay within 150 miles or leave for college and come back. Of course, it depends on what their occupation is.

Old 08-28-2010, 04:49 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
Having grown up in the midwest, and taught in the midwest, I can safely say that as major deterrants go,Very valid concerns about being able to find like-minded peers of a similar age in a small community teaching district are a much bigger deal than the remote chance you will be seriously affected by a tornado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education