Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 06:39 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,442,957 times

Advertisements

part one

i do not want you to think iam trying to get some type of sympathy out of it ..i just a fact that iam makeing in this area..

first off iam Dyslexia i really did not understand what and the how of why could not do somethings when it came to writeing of the propler sentence and how they are layed out to writeing and grammer of writeing ..

when i went to school in the 60s and onward intill i got into the military from the 4th grade onward i was passed from one special ed classroom to another through out my years in school for i was allways told that i had a learning problem but was never told what was the learning problem was for some of my teachers thought i was just lazy and did not want to do the work or could do the work but would not ..

when i joined the military i was told i was not stupid but had a problem understanding the how and what was on inside my brain and my D.S helped me out a lot in the areas where i was haveing problems after he figure out the problem was with me for he had a son that was the same way and that how he figure it out ..in the military i found it easly to pick up langauges easly and the look at things in a way that made people think i was some type of head case who need to be locked beside the guy where hunting for as m.p ..

part two

my oldest granddaughter is Dyslexia also along with showing signs of beening restless in the classroom like i was in school and i was wondering if home schooling would be better for her at times..for she really is starting to hate the whole school thing for she can not keep up

for a 11 year old she can do things that is just amazeing at times with her langauge skils she can speak english spanish and korean without a trace of accents in them..she smart and she can figure out things very quickly but when asked to explain something it like pulling eyeteeth with her ..her sister are doing good in school and do not seam to have the problem with schooling as she does..

so what do you think about the homeschooling idea for i think her mom would be off pulling her out of the school system and teaching her at home than trying to force her do something that is going to scar her in a way that makes her hard for her to go school at a later date..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 06:52 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
What she needs, is a tutor who specializes in dyslexia who can train her how to read and write in a different way. Homeschooling is one option, but ONLY if her mom is prepared to do the work of that specialized tutor. Preventing the girl from learning to read and write won't make her grow up being a better person. It'll just make her grow up to be another illiterate in the system.

She needs to learn how to read and write. She just needs to learn it differently. If she's doing great in other things, then she doesn't need to be taken out of the environment where she's doing great.

On the other hand, there's nothing wrong, per se, with homeschooling. But when you're dealing with a child who has a learning disability, you need to have a teacher/teachers who are equipped to help the child get past it. If the mom is equipped, then she should go for it. If the only reason she's considering it is to get her away from learning how to read and write, then she's doing a huge disservice to her child.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:14 AM

we have talked about the tutor route along with the school helping with some of the socalled special tutors programs for the kid ..plus when she can my daughter has friends who are in the military also help with the tutoring sevices with free home cooked meals for them for there work with kid afterschool she starting to get the help that she needs but i was wondering about the homeschooling set up for the kid would not be so pressured to feel that she has to keep up with her classmates and make the mistake that are not need to make right now....my second oldest girl is getting ready to be reassigned again and we talked about comeing back to the states instead of another overseas post in the Airforce..

Old 10-06-2010, 09:40 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,295,470 times
Does she receive special help at school? Knowledge about dyslexia has come a long way since the 1960s and increases all the time. There are many techniques that students can learn to help with reading and writing.

This type of tutoring requires special training plus patience and experience. That's a lot of ask from a home-school parent. It's not impossible, but difficult.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:15 AM

she getting tutoring from the people at the air base in korea but the problem is the parents are about to be moved again and i was wondering if she was home schooled when in transit from the korea to her new home would help with the adjustment of beening on the move for about two months before they are at there new home here in the state..so where ever they land they can get the help that they need with her ..

i hopeing that they get NM or Co area for there new home base..my son in law and my daughter are both in the air force and it was luckly that they got the same air base togerther ..when one pulled a tour of Irag or A-stan the other stay behind with the kids..my daughter has a job that does not really go anywhere but to a base and they stay at the base for there work ..but my son in law is a security police i think that what they are called they are like a M.p in the army .

i probably one of the few people who really does understand her and what she goes though right now or as my daughter say monkey speak for the language when we are talking at times ..it just a version of texting and it funny to hear it spoke..my grandkid is smart and she is doing well with the lesson but i scared that the system will let her down in the long run instead of helping her ..

Old 10-07-2010, 07:14 AM

270 posts, read 504,521 times
I'm training to be a regular-ed teacher, and you need to help your daughter find special education services, because the regular teachers are not at all equipped to deal with Dyslexia or other learning disabilities, especially at the middle and high school levels. If her learning disability isn't brought to their attention, she might end up without special services. According to my friend, who is in her twenties, this happened to her. She ended up having to be homeschooled and having to take the GED, but, alas, I think she still has a few comprehension problems that interfere with her doing well in college, and, if you slip past the system, you have to find your own means of qualifying for special services when you are an adult. Testing can be very expensive. It's a no-win situation. If your daughter is very intelligent, you should get her tested and allow her to recieve the services she needs. Otherwise, she might wind up struggling with her advanced high school or college readings, feeling very frustrated when she can't figure out basic math, and crying over her foreign language requirement because she doesn't understand how to spell new words or write in the new grammar. Likely, her professors will also feel frustrated and unable to help her, because she wasn't tested when she was younger. Save her the frustration and anguish, and allow the public school to assist her today so that she will have an easier time tomorrow.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:35 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,295,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
she getting tutoring from the people at the air base in korea but the problem is the parents are about to be moved again and i was wondering if she was home schooled when in transit from the korea to her new home would help with the adjustment of beening on the move for about two months before they are at there new home here in the state..so where ever they land they can get the help that they need with her ..

i hopeing that they get NM or Co area for there new home base..my son in law and my daughter are both in the air force and it was luckly that they got the same air base togerther ..when one pulled a tour of Irag or A-stan the other stay behind with the kids..my daughter has a job that does not really go anywhere but to a base and they stay at the base for there work ..but my son in law is a security police i think that what they are called they are like a M.p in the army .

i probably one of the few people who really does understand her and what she goes though right now or as my daughter say monkey speak for the language when we are talking at times ..it just a version of texting and it funny to hear it spoke..my grandkid is smart and she is doing well with the lesson but i scared that the system will let her down in the long run instead of helping her ..

That's not really "homeschooling;" it's really just extra help during a transition. Homeschooling is an option to replace a public school. You're simply looking to supplement her schooling, which is always a good idea, whether they move or not.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
That's not really "homeschooling;" it's really just extra help during a transition. Homeschooling is an option to replace a public school. You're simply looking to supplement her schooling, which is always a good idea, whether they move or not.
one of things we talked about was the home schooling angle for her to try it out ..it depends on where they get stationed at and if the school system can handle the job of getting her the help she needs in the classroom ..

we have looked at the home schooling network websites and there are a few programs to help with the extras on dealing with a child with dyslexia plus a couple of the ladys on base where she at homeschool there kids and she thought it would be a better set up for a year or two intill they could get the kid up to speed on things ..

so iam trying to figure out away for my kid to help her kid for we do not want her to fall behind as she comes back to the states and enters public school here

Old 10-07-2010, 11:07 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,232 times
I questioned some variant of dyslexia/dysgraphia in my DS when he was younger. I found that google had some great resources.

We did send him to Sylvan, which also has an online program, so maybe that's a good resource for you?? I know they did wonders for my son. I think it was more because they geared his instruction toward his strengths and that helped him build self-confidence. He's doing far better now thankfully, but I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that we jumped on it when he was young.

I would definitely have testing done to see where the issue may lie. There is much more information on learning disorders than there ever has been historically.

Good luck - here are a few links.

Home Schooling the Dyslexic Child (http://ezinearticles.com/?Home-Schooling-the-Dyslexic-Child&id=718667 - broken link)

Dyslexia - A to Z Home's Cool Homeschooling Concerns

PURLs of Wisdom Blog » Homeschooling Dyslexic Children

Old 10-08-2010, 02:10 PM

298 posts, read 565,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
part one

i do not want you to think iam trying to get some type of sympathy out of it ..i just a fact that iam makeing in this area..

first off iam Dyslexia i really did not understand what and the how of why could not do somethings when it came to writeing of the propler sentence and how they are layed out to writeing and grammer of writeing ..

when i went to school in the 60s and onward intill i got into the military from the 4th grade onward i was passed from one special ed classroom to another through out my years in school for i was allways told that i had a learning problem but was never told what was the learning problem was for some of my teachers thought i was just lazy and did not want to do the work or could do the work but would not ..

when i joined the military i was told i was not stupid but had a problem understanding the how and what was on inside my brain and my D.S helped me out a lot in the areas where i was haveing problems after he figure out the problem was with me for he had a son that was the same way and that how he figure it out ..in the military i found it easly to pick up langauges easly and the look at things in a way that made people think i was some type of head case who need to be locked beside the guy where hunting for as m.p ..

part two

my oldest granddaughter is Dyslexia also along with showing signs of beening restless in the classroom like i was in school and i was wondering if home schooling would be better for her at times..for she really is starting to hate the whole school thing for she can not keep up

for a 11 year old she can do things that is just amazeing at times with her langauge skils she can speak english spanish and korean without a trace of accents in them..she smart and she can figure out things very quickly but when asked to explain something it like pulling eyeteeth with her ..her sister are doing good in school and do not seam to have the problem with schooling as she does..

so what do you think about the homeschooling idea for i think her mom would be off pulling her out of the school system and teaching her at home than trying to force her do something that is going to scar her in a way that makes her hard for her to go school at a later date..
The "Sonday System: (Winsor Learning-www.winsorlearning.com) by Arlene Sonday and "Unlocking the Power of Print" by Dorothy Blosser Whitehead (call 520-235-3710 to order) are two very good and very affordable home tutoring options for dyslexic children. They are programs based on Orton-Gillingham methods, which is one of the best methods for instructing kids with language processing disorders. The Sonday System is geared for the novice tutor (it comes with instructional DVDs, similar to the Scottish Rite program, but MUCH cheaper). The manual and materials by Dorothy Whitehead are very inexpensive, but not as self explanatory as the Sonday System. Also, look up the Scottish Rite learning centers, depending on the area, they can be an invaluable resource. My daughters attended one of their learning centers, and they worked miracles. The Scottish Rite hospital of Texas publishes a two year Orton-Gillingham based program to be used at home, by an inexperienced tutor, but it costs $1000-$2000. However, it is the program followed by the dyslexia teachers in the Texas schools, and is excellent.
In addition, Saxon math is an excellent program for a child with dyslexia/language processing disorders. It is a home school math curriculum that is used in many private schools teaching kids with dyslexia. It is also very affordable, and my favorite math program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education