Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 07:27 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbill View Post
Who is more influential to a young student a football coach or an English teacher? What activity will the student get excited about the most? What lesson plan or test will this student remember( a real game or a mutiple choice test)? Is the physical health of a student just as important or more important than a five paragraph essay? I think both are important, but I remember what happened on the field more than I remembered some lesson or any curriculum. While we have an English course requirement of 4 years or regular English (no electives), we have dropped the PE requirement from 4 years to 2 years ( California high school). Many students are being tested to death in subjects that may not matter. We do require 1/2 semester of Health class for freshman only.
Depends on the teacher, depends on the student. I never played football in my life, but I sure as hell remember my English teachers. My brother was a collegiate full-ride scholarship athlete AND is a professional writer. He thinks back FAR more fondly on his writing professors. His coaches were dicks. His physical health is great, and his livelihood is dependent upon his ability to write well. You can be a physically healthy and academically healthy student. This whole "one thing or the other" mindset is BS.

I also grew up in one of the only, if not THE only, states to keep a 4-year P.E. requirement on the books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 07:35 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,851,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Depends on the teacher, depends on the student. I never played football in my life, but I sure as hell remember my English teachers. My brother was a collegiate full-ride scholarship athlete AND is a professional writer. He thinks back FAR more fondly on his writing professors. His coaches were dicks. His physical health is great, and his livelihood is dependent upon his ability to write well. You can be a physically healthy and academically healthy student. This whole "one thing or the other" mindset is BS.

I also grew up in one of the only, if not THE only, states to keep a 4-year P.E. requirement on the books.

no one said it had to be one way or the other. but you better believe the 10,000 people in the stands on Friday night are concerned less with the head coaches ability to teach geometry and are more concerned with his ability to dissect an opposing defense. btw you can be a "dick" as a coach and be great. Bobby Knight isn't exactly a nice guy haha .

Old 01-14-2011, 08:15 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,361,138 times
Every school I have ever worked at has a group of lazy teachers. They pray for snow days and complain about anything they are asked to do. They have always pissed me off.

These are usually the same teachers who complain about the lack of respect for teachers and the lack of pay as well. I have honestly lost a lot of respect for teachers since I started teaching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education