Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 04:06 AM

3 posts, read 9,591 times

Advertisements

According to me, Public schools charm getting fade due to non availability of study material and even teacher are not showing their interest towards the students.Students of government school always complaining about teaching not giving proper attention to the students.Teachers always busy in staff room and their personal chats
where as the private schools give proper attention towards their students and provide good and beneficial study materials.

What do you think Which is better Public school or Private school??????

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-06-2017 at 06:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 05:05 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
abrts123,
I don't think what you are saying makes any sense. Public Schools are funded mainly by the local area's so while schools in poor areas may not have needed materials, that's certainly not the case at most schools. Location (public or private) does not influence whether a teacher is "showing interest" or "giving attention". I'm not sure what in the world you mean by, "busy in the staff room with personal chats". All teachers (public or private) have mandated classroom hours and cannot be anyplace except where they are assigned. I'm kind of curious about where you got your idea's about our schools, because they are not based on reality.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:08 AM

2,596 posts, read 5,582,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrts123 View Post
According to me, Government schools charm getting fade due to non availability of study material and even teacher are not showing their interest towards the students.Students of government school always complaining about teaching not giving proper attention to the students.Teachers always busy in staff room and their personal chats
where as the private schools give proper attention towards their students and provide good and beneficial study materials.

What do you think Which is better Government school or Private school??????
I was prepared to take your concerns seriously until I got to the part about "Teachers always busy in staff room and their personal chats..." and then I had to start laughing since most teachers are horribly overworked and don't have the kind of free time you're envisioning. It made it clear you hadn't actually been in a public school, or you would have known that simply wasn't the case.

But, to answer the question: I think there are many choices in schooling and students are diverse, each having their own needs and learning styles. It is impossible to say any one method is "best" because what may be best for my child may not be best for yours. Some children flourish in private school, some flourish in public school, some flourish in home school, Montessori, parochial... you name it and there are happy (and unhappy) kids there. Additionally, there are some kids who are blessed with certain attributes and strengths to the point that they probably would have been successful no matter where you put them.

I think it's too easy to take cheap shots at whatever form of education you're looking at. You can attack public school with the comments you made and say the teachers aren't interested, but that simply isn't true for the majority. Heck, I worked one year at a private/parochial school where the lead teacher in the room (uncertified, btw) sat there and fussed with her nails and did her hair, bored out of her mind while the kids ran around and she ignored them... but that one person isn't indicative of parochial schools or their teachers as a whole. You can same home-school parents just sit around and watch TV expecting the kids to teach themselves or are the epitome of helicopter parents who don't want their kids to be exposed to the real world. In truth there are probably some of those out there, but there are also plenty of people doing a great job.

Basically, make the choice that is right for your kid and respect that other people can do the same. Be particularly careful not to put down the other forms of education, particularly ones you do not ascribe to, as you would be the least informed person to discuss them truthfully. Just because they aren't right for your child does not make them flawed as a whole.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:04 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
This general question makes little sense. It all depends on the individual school.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:06 PM

111 posts, read 295,425 times
Ahhhh, now I understand the difference. Thank you OP!

Old 02-10-2011, 08:08 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
I think that parents, by the very fact that they are paying property taxes AND tuition, have more of a say and are more involved in private education. Parents and kids being on board is KEY to successful education. In government schools, there are SOME parents, maybe even MANY parents, who are involved- but there are also many parents who are not. For this reason, I think that private education is best. It's also why I am a huge believer in vouchers and for-profit schools as competitiors to government schools. Competition and free enterprise make everything better.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:26 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,582,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I think that parents, by the very fact that they are paying property taxes AND tuition, have more of a say and are more involved in private education. Parents and kids being on board is KEY to successful education. In government schools, there are SOME parents, maybe even MANY parents, who are involved- but there are also many parents who are not. For this reason, I think that private education is best. It's also why I am a huge believer in vouchers and for-profit schools as competitiors to government schools. Competition and free enterprise make everything better.
Private education by its very nature is more exclusionary. While there are a few scholarships available, for the most part unless you are fortunate enough to have the necessary funds, you are unable to attend. Therefore, yes, you will likely have a higher percentage of parents with the financial means and free time to be highly involved.

Whether that's "best" is subjective. Certainly, do what is best for your child, but with the wisdom to understand that what's best for your family may not be best for everyone else's. It's entirely possible to be happy with one's own choice and secure in the knowledge that it was right for their child without feeling the need to proclaim it the best... a truly wise person understands that the "best" is a moving target--no two children have the exact same needs and really, no form of schooling is truly superior over the other. All come with various pros and cons and it's up to each family to decide what fits their needs.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:29 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I think my favorite part is the preface, "According to me." Well. As long as it's according to you.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:47 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,868,092 times
private/charter school.

If they don't educate the kids to the parent's satisfaction then they go out of business. Thats a pretty good incentive to educate the children.

If the government doesn't educate the kids then what happens? They get more government money. I'm not kidding.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:02 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
For profit schools don't actually fare well.

The Edison schools are the biggest of the for profit charter companies.

Edison Schools Perform Poorly Nationwide - An Authoritative News Source for Elementary School, High School, and Higher Education News and Education Articles

Quote:
The length of time Edison has run schools does not improve the performance of students. It does not seem to matter how long Edison has been managing schools. Students in schools that Edison took over in the mid-90s continue to perform below the state standard on achievement tests. Some of these students in the lower grades have only been subject to an Edison education. These students perform no better than other students in the state nor do their achievement levels exceed those of students in schools more recently taken over by Edison.

Business Schools | The American Prospect

Quote:
Edison learned what career educators have always known: Managing schools isn't as simple as it first might seem. The idea behind for-profit public education was that districts would turn over school budgets to Edison, plus supplemental funds meant to offset the costs of educating a population that was, in Philadelphia's case, 70 percent low-income and 80-percent non-white. Edison was supposed to run an über-efficient operation and pocket the surplus. But it never worked that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education