Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2009, 08:25 PM

53 posts, read 267,921 times

Advertisements

We´re a family who´s looking into renting an apt. in Roosevelt island, due to the fantastic Manhattan views. We´ve heard though (and seen on schooldigger.com) the school is really bad, someone told me that if the public school one´s address is zoned to needs improvement my son would be eligible to enter another (better) public school. Is that correct? Should I call an enrollment office or just contact schools in Manhattan (close to the subway stop there). We cannot afford private school..
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 08:50 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
What grade would your son be entering? And be sure to also check out Inside Schools for school reviews.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:23 PM

Hi squeezeboxgal,

My son´s behind, since he only speaks and understands Danish so far (he got here a month ago), though we practice some English with gim, he´s not going to catch up in kindergarden, where he is right now. I´m thinking if I can get him into pre-k somewhere, it will be a better start for him, he´s bright but might get wrong ideas about schools due to falling behind at the end of a school year.
Any advice appreciated, and tx for inside schools

Old 03-22-2009, 08:15 PM

44 posts, read 154,116 times
I came here when i was 8 without a word of english as well. They skipped 2 grades with me and started in second grade(my sister 6th and other 4th). Im now a senior in high school and pretty much say that my english is up to par. I think your son will do fine, kindergarden or not. Difference is that i went to a public school in flushing not Roosevelt Island. That was 10 years ago though, things might have changed.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:22 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xian791 View Post
I came here when i was 8 without a word of english as well. They skipped 2 grades with me and started in second grade(my sister 6th and other 4th). Im now a senior in high school and pretty much say that my english is up to par. I think your son will do fine, kindergarden or not. Difference is that i went to a public school in flushing not Roosevelt Island. That was 10 years ago though, things might have changed.

Sorry, getting off-topic for a second...
Do you go to Flushing HS?

To the OP-- Yes, you should be able to go to another school if that one is failing. I really don't recommend sending your child to a failing school. I teach in a school in the south Bronx, and even though it's not failing, it still isn't a very good school. I can't imagine what a failing school is like.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:44 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
Rachael -- do you know what the process would be for the OP to apply for a different school? And how should she go about finding one?

Old 03-23-2009, 06:24 AM

318 posts, read 1,098,226 times
I thought that the child had to attend the school before being offered a transfer, perhaps someone knows for sure.

I'd look into Midtown West PS 212 - I hope this link works. Insideschools.org :: School Profile - P.S. 212 Midtown West School

You'd have to apply and interview, but it's supposed to be a very good school.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:26 AM

Thank you Pete Piper
I wonder if they will admit my son for pre-k (special conditions, he´s Danish, only speaks and udnerstands Danish) in pre-k at this time of year though he´s 5 yrs old (?)..And whether I´m late for registry into kindergarden from September 09...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Piper View Post
I thought that the child had to attend the school before being offered a transfer, perhaps someone knows for sure.

I'd look into Midtown West PS 212 - I hope this link works. Insideschools.org :: School Profile - P.S. 212 Midtown West School

You'd have to apply and interview, but it's supposed to be a very good school.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:22 PM

44 posts, read 154,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Sorry, getting off-topic for a second...
Do you go to Flushing HS?
I went to P.S 22(Flushing)
Junior High School I.S.25(flushing)
Murray Bergtraum HS(manhattan)2 years
Bayside HS(bayside queens)last year here

And for danishmom, its never to late to register your child to school. During the first few years of my school years, new students were coming in, in all months even as late as may-.-Most of them were immigrants and didn't speak a word of english.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City