Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 10:16 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times

Advertisements

If you are strong with languages and memory skills, how about law? If your minds works around the logic that the legal field requires and the memory you would really have a good law practice. Impressive in a court room.

You would have to have the ability to reason, remember, communicate (orally and in written word).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 10:40 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,236,821 times
I'd look into accounting or stock trading.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:47 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,319,747 times
Are you any good at recognizing patterns? My son has an exceptional memory though not total recall by any means. He uses it in mathematics and physics by recognizing patterns and solving problem based on previous patterns.

When he was taking his last actual class(some kind of advanced quantum physics) before he didn't have to take any more classes and just work on his dissertation, he and his fellow PhD students were given a final exam from heel. The last question was one that his peers had no idea how to answer because they said it made no sense that they understood. My son was the only one who tried to answer it. He recognized a pattern in it that he'd seen before. So he wrote, "I have no idea how to do this problem, but I do know how to do another problem that is similiar so using the same data I will answer that." Turned out that it was a problem that they didn't have time to answer even if they did know how, but my son's answer was actually step one in a three stage step process of answering the problem. The prof simply wanted to know if there was anyone in his PhD group who could see the familiar in the unknown.

If you can use your memory to recognize patterns in things, then you can make your actual skills go way way further. There are so many occupations where having access to everything, without having to look anything up, can serve you enormously, but you have to be able to inter-relate the data that you can remember or you are just an idiot savant---a Rainman.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:51 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,378,548 times
If you have a photographic memory, why not aim high? Become a lawyer or a doctor.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:29 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,374,374 times
FWIW, I happened to be talking to my friend yesterday who is a psychologist. She stated that there have been no conclusive studies that support a "photographic memory" really exists. She believes that people like my daughter may just have incredible pattern recognition and mnemonic creation skills - i.e. they are not taking a "visual snaphot" of a page, but are instead quickly recognizing patterns and creating sophisticated mnemonic devices in order to retain/retrieve the information. Just thought it was interesting...

Old 06-04-2011, 09:00 AM

6 posts, read 47,078 times
GoCUBS1

Yes you are correct, I used the term 'near-photographic memory' simply so that laypersons could understand. There is no such thing as photographic memory. Some people have abnormal brains that usually interfere with other brain function (like Rain Man), but all this is is a sophisticated mnemonic skill with no distractions, kind of like being in theta-stage right before you fall asleep and can lucidly hallucinate. And even Rain Mans recall is somewhere between 80-98% depending on the book, not 100%.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:33 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,097,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
You want to earn a million dollars before you are twenty-seven??
6 figures <> 1 million

100,000 (6) <> 1,000,000 (7)

To OP - like many others have said, focus on something you enjoy. Learn a language or 2? Instruments? Learn about history, economics, language, culture... life long learning is a great thing

Last edited by Athair; 10-21-2013 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: Adding in my own input

Old 10-25-2013, 08:06 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,266,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illdblli View Post
I have a near photographic memory (although it's a misconception that photographic is instant) and I'm trying to decide what to go to college for.

What do you think is the most lucrative career field for someone with near-perfect memory? It can be any type of data from pictures, charts, precise facts, signs and symbols such as numerical data, etc.

I've been able to memorize entire textbooks that are over a thousand pages. Keep in mind though that it takes time - about 6-11 seconds per sentence, but once memorized it is there for life.

I know of many IT fields that require many hours of 'studying' for tough exams, which I could easily pass - however they also have requirements like '5 years work experience' to work your way up the certifications, even if you could ace the tests before that. I'm looking for something that I could climb the ladder up in quickly to make over six figures.

Thank you for your ideas!
If you finish a computer science degree, you have a better than average chance of finding a job. Just do a search for "average java salary" to see one salary example.

Programming as a whole changes very fast. What you learn one year may be obsolete 2 years later, so you have to constantly read and read if you want to stay relevant. Most people with average memory, like me, can only remember generalities and not details. If you can recall the details, then you are much faster at solving problems. You can become the 'guru' or 'go-to' guy/gal at your job, and then you call the shots. My last job was working with a company that had about 900 engineers and software engineers in one building alone. The few 'gurus' who just seemed to know everything were the ones that were basically immune to layoffs. In this day and age, that is a big deal.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:32 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,719,651 times
A translator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education