Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 01:04 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,461,271 times

Advertisements

Do a web search on "Building Thinking Skills" and "Critical Thinking" you should find plenty of resources to teach children "thinking skills". I'm not sure if I can post links, so just PM me for exact sites to check. My oldest daughter is 5, and it's part of my after-school education for her. She likes going through the books with daddy ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 02:44 PM

13,630 posts, read 10,031,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compSciGuy View Post
Do a web search on "Building Thinking Skills" and "Critical Thinking" you should find plenty of resources to teach children "thinking skills". I'm not sure if I can post links, so just PM me for exact sites to check. My oldest daughter is 5, and it's part of my after-school education for her. She likes going through the books with daddy ...
That looks interesting, I had no idea such courses existed.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:21 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
And maybe even adults?

Classes in rational thought maybe.
Are we talking logic as in if A is B and C is B then A is also C?

Problem solving>? Creative thinking? Independent thought?

Or are we talking teaching people to think like everyone else and follow the leader?

Old 01-04-2012, 06:37 PM

198 posts, read 483,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Wallace View Post
Rational thought and religion don't really have a great deal to do with each other -- nor, from the perspective of either one, should they.

Religion is a matter of faith, not fact; if facts were present, faith would not be necessary. I do not have to have faith that 1+1=2 in order to see that it does.

Rational thought is not a matter of opinion. It is much closer to mathematics than to any other discipline.
Great post CW. The teaching of logic and rational thought are not "brainwashing" as some are claiming. More like a branch of mathematics useful for the evaluating the validity of arguments. Consider the following argument:

An elephant has ears.
My brother has ears.
Therefore, my bother is an elephant.

While both premises of this argument are true, the conclusion is false. Yet a surprising number of individuals let themselves be swayed by arguments like this when the underlying language is not so obvious.

This is a very simple example. We owe a great deal to ancient and medieval logicians for formalizing the rules of logic which, when applied properly, are of great use as B.S. detectors.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:26 AM

13,630 posts, read 10,031,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Are we talking logic as in if A is B and C is B then A is also C?

Problem solving>? Creative thinking? Independent thought?

Or are we talking teaching people to think like everyone else and follow the leader?
The former.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:46 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,132,509 times
considering the kids today can barely read, spell or can do math without a calculator i dont see how anyone is going to be able to get them to "think correctly"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education