Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 09:08 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,354,812 times

Advertisements

I know that the high school recommends at least 2 years. Not required here.

Do universities require this for admission? Do you need a foreign language as a requirement to graduate most universities?

Even if the student plans on going into science/math field?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 09:19 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,916,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post

Do universities require this for admission? Do you need a foreign language as a requirement to graduate most universities?

Most colleges want to see at least 2 years of a foreign language. They prefer to see 3 years. Many universities require foreign language as core academic class regardless of the student's major.

If you have a college bound high school student I would advise the student to take at least 2 years of a foreign language.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:28 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
My alma mater currently has a foreign language requirement. Fortunately, I graduated before it was a requirement. I blew off my foreign language classes in high school around 1980 and '81 and I have come to regret it.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:51 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,111 times
Quote:
Especially if the student plans on going into a science/math field. Normally if you are doing that field, you are getting a BS rather than a BA, and one of the differences between a BS and a BA is that a BS requires a foreign language.

(The theory behind that is that you must have an understanding of a foreign language in order to read publications in translation.)

Also, pretty much every grad degree in the sciences requires a foreign language. The last thing you want is to be trying to learn a foreign language in 2 years in your mid-20s while trying to write a thesis or dissertation.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:53 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,164,704 times
All of the schools I applied to required it. You should start in middle school.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:58 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,916,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
The last thing you want is to be trying to learn a foreign language in 2 years in your mid-20s while trying to write a thesis or dissertation.
Not to mention that it is difficult to take a foreign language at the college level if you have never had it at a high school level.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:04 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Quote:

Huge mistake. Most decent colleges and universities expect some foreign language.

More importantly, learning a foreign language broadens one's opportunities in life. I took German and Russian, and I kick myself every day for giving both up after two years.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:05 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,535,081 times
Most colleges do ask for 2-4 years of a foreign language. It would be a shame for a student to realize that he/she has less of a chance of acceptance to a college because they didn't feel like taking a FL in HS. As the above posters have pointed out, it's also a good thing to be multi-lingual.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:14 AM

370 posts, read 1,366,091 times
Not getting a few years exposure to a foreign language would be a detriment to a student.

We need to have a more multicultural approach to education and if the USA and its citizens want to be 'global' we should be teaching foreign languages in schools in ELEMENTARY school not just in middle or high school.

My son (Grade 8) is in year 2 of Spanish. I expect him to do all 4 years of high school and AP if possible.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:18 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
Every university my 2 kids applied to required it from high schoolers, at least 2 years. I don't know if its actually required for kids to take here in order to graduate or not. It was required for kids who were on the college bound track however.

Some of the universities required it for all of their students as part of their core curriculum others only for those majoring in liberal arts subject or something related to some sort of international study. Neither of my kids chose universities that required all their students to take one, but both of them ended up in majors that did. Both my kids took more than the minimum required in high school. One took 4 years worth the other took 3 years. The one that took 3 years in high school still had a hard time with the 4 required semesters in college. He told me he couldn't imagine how someone could do it if they hadn't had it in high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education