Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2012, 02:47 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times

Advertisements

Over the last couple weeks, our school has been administering End of Course exams and the kids in my Algebra I class were part of the group being tested. (When I say "my class," I mean that I'm the SPED collaborative teacher.)

Last year, all the History exams were revised and became much more difficult. This year, the state decided to revise the Math exams -- they'll do Science next year, IIRC.

Most of the kids in our class are decidedly average. Great kids, not so great students, but they try SO hard.

The scores came back at the end of school today and ..... <*sighs*>

Of the 20-ish kids who took the test, less than 25% passed -- and the ones who DID pass had very low scores.

Come Monday, we have to find the kids and give them the news, and I know that many of them will be crushed. They already have low "math self-esteem" and this is just going to make it worse. They're going to think they're stupid, and that's just not the case. The TESTS are stupid.

These low scores are showing up across the state, so it's not just our schools and our kids -- but I *know* these kids, and it breaks my heart that they work so hard and all they get is a slap in the face from the state.

I'm sure someone will jump in here and say it's our fault as teachers, but for the record, my co-teacher previously has had -- for several years -- a 100% EOC pass rate. The tests have changed.

Thank you, NCLB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 02:56 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Did you do any benchmark testing prior to this ?

Here in Texas we've switched tests and some schools did benchmark tests to get an idea of how the kids would do on the new tests and get intervention put in place early.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:56 PM

606 posts, read 903,119 times
I'm not a teacher but I feel your pain. I HATE those tests! As a parent with 2 LD kids with IEP's, I know how painful it can be for the kids and how hard it is to deal with that hurt. My kids have failed those tests more times than not. What's worse is when the state makes them retake them in hopes they will pass the second time only for them to fail it again. They take a huge hit in the self-esteem area.
Are you allowed to give your opinion on how crappy the tests are as a teacher? As a parent, I tell my kids to look at all their accomplishments through the year and we go through them one by one. How well they do and how important it is that no matter what ONE test says, they continue to try to do THEIR best.
If this year's test is that bad, I hope they revamp it for the sake of everyone.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:05 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Did they give you sample questions of how the test was changing or was it a big surprise?

Old 02-24-2012, 04:10 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
I really do not need a benchmark to know how students with a 50 IQ will do on my English I EOC.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:22 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Did you do any benchmark testing prior to this ?

Here in Texas we've switched tests and some schools did benchmark tests to get an idea of how the kids would do on the new tests and get intervention put in place early.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Did they give you sample questions of how the test was changing or was it a big surprise?
We knew the test was changing, but we were given no sample questions ahead of time. For two weeks prior to the exam, kids practiced on released versions of previous tests -- and they were ALL scoring high enough to pass. Unfortunately, the new test was different enough that the old tests didn't help all that much.

And just to clarify -- it wasn't only the Algebra I kids that had to deal with the new tests. Students in Geometry and Algebra II also faced new tests, with similar (disastrous) results. A number of parents have already complained to the state (we were one of the last districts to administer the exams), and I'm sure that more will do so -- but that won't erase the crushing disappointment the kids are going to experience next week.

<*sighs*>

And zthatzmanz, I fully understand the frustration of expecting low-ability students to pass standardized exams, but that's not the population in this case. These are average-ability (or above) students in regular education classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education