Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 12:34 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtn View Post
I remember in grad school having to submit all work online. Once we submitted the paper it was run through a program that crossed referenced my paper to the Internet. Anyone know what this program (or something) is called?
That's what was done here at the high school level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 10:07 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
I remember in grad school having to submit all work online. Once we submitted the paper it was run through a program that crossed referenced my paper to the Internet. Anyone know what this program (or something) is called?
Turnitin.com

Old 04-30-2012, 10:09 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Why do kids get thrown out of honors class for cheating and get a second chance for other classes? Shouldn't cheating be unacceptable, THE FIRST TIME, whether a student is in an honors class or not?

Old 04-30-2012, 10:49 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
Some people sue for outrageous things. I know a father who sued because his son was fired for smoking pot on the trading floor of an investment bank in New York. No, seriously. His argument was that his son's addiction was a disability and thus he should have been placed on medical leave rather than fired. I left the law firm that was handing the case and never heard how it ended.

Incidentally, it's better that the boy learn about cheating now. I had a roommate in college who was expelled for plagiarism a semester he was supposed graduate. He learned his lesson the very hard way.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:05 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Incidentally, it's better that the boy learn about cheating now. I had a roommate in college who was expelled for plagiarism a semester he was supposed graduate. He learned his lesson the very hard way.[/quote]

How sad.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:46 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
turnitin.com

Old 05-01-2012, 07:36 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,723,264 times
When I was in school...and a child got into trouble, a parent responded with "what did you do?"

Nowadays when a child gets into trouble in school, a parent responds "what did the teacher do".

Unbelievable. Have some integrity, dad. Schools can only go so far to help mold individuals that will fully function in our diverse society in a good way; parents need to play their part too. It shouldn't be parents vs. schools. It should be parents & schools (together).

Old 05-02-2012, 03:52 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Incidentally, it's better that the boy learn about cheating now. I had a roommate in college who was expelled for plagiarism a semester he was supposed graduate. He learned his lesson the very hard way.

Thanks to the dad's response, I'm not so sure the boy will be learning the right lessons about cheating, so he may still wind up going the way of your roommate.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:09 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
"A father is suing his son's Northern California school district for throwing the boy out of an honors English class after he was caught cheating. The sophomore at Sequoia High School in Redwood City copied someone else's essay, which aside from being just plain wrong, also goes against the "honesty pledge" students sign at the beginning of the class, making it explicitly clear that any cheating will result in expulsion from honors courses. Clear cut, right? Well, the dad is pointing out a conflicting school policy that says students won't be punished for cheating until the second time they're caught. Um, can the second incidence of cheating be this dad trying to cheat the school system and bend the rules for his kid?"
Dad sues school district after son is punished for cheating - msnNOW

I don't understand why you'd give a warning for cheating in the first place? I'm pretty sure high schoolers know cheating is wrong to begin with. A warning is just a free pass to attempt cheating.
This is in my neck of the woods and the father (and mother too) are getting tons of flak for their actions. The father's a family court lawyer and people are calling his office to give him a piece of their minds. The mother was a former director of admission for that school if you can believe or not -- one of the highest paid in the district before she was laid off due to budget cuts.

The school offered to allow the kid to join the honors class the following year but the parents rebuffed the offer and instead wanted the punishment to be for the kid to work as a teachers helper afterschool for the rest of the year and not get kicked out of the program.

What a douche!

Old 05-03-2012, 10:48 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,748,387 times
Maybe the father didn't pay attention to the school's plagiarism policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education