Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 09:36 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times

Advertisements

What were some common "ephemeral" words when you were in high school or college? And what are some you hear out of the mouths of students today?

Two that were popular when I was in college (2006-2010) were the verb "pregame" and the noun "random".

To "pregame" meant to drink alcohol, usually at a private location (apartment, dorm room, etc.), prior to a party or event. Pregaming seemed to be most often done by those not of legal drinking age in college, but could be done by those of age to avoid paying the premium for beverages in bars and clubs.

A "random" was a person with whom the speaker does not have any acquaintance. For example, a girl could say "Ewwww creepy! A random messaged me on Facebook asking me if I want to meet him in person!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 10:09 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,854 times
We called kissing, "sucking face" and what they today call, hooking up we called, "making out".

Old 05-03-2012, 12:08 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
A lot of the terms are still used, just not as frequently.

Every sentence had to have some form of the word f**K in it. Fuuuu*k me! was a common response to anything good or bad. Not just crass people, pretty much everyone talked like that.

"Duuude" came into play later at the end of college. It was an expression used for pretty much anything good or bad.

"Kick A$$" was used for anything positive or favorable.

"Ohh Nooooo" in a high pitched tone (like Mr. Bill) used to express a sarcastic and disbeliving response to a statement about something bad happening, where the responder felt that the person talking was a sissy about what a bad thing is.

"Bite me." Was also a common response, usally to some insult or disparaging remark.

"Party" was used in about a dozen different meanings "I want to party with you" = Lets have sex; "Lets Party" = start fighting; "It is time to party" = celebrate. Party hearty = get really drunk or high. "We partied through a few lights and then I blew him away" = I won a close street race.

During end of the Clinton adminstration, "We were smoking cigars" was used to say you were having sex.

"Bollexed up" meant messed up. I think it came from a movie.

Bozo - to describe an idiot or an idiotic action.

Nimrod - I think it meant idiot. Heard it a lot, never really knew what it meant.

Buzzed or Buzzing = drunk or stoned

"lets Rock and Roll" was used to decribe driving away, having sex, partying, fighting, leaving the current location, pretty much any action.

"Commie" "Pinko" and "F**" (a word used to describe homosexual men that CD does not allow) were used constantly as quasi insults, usually good natured insults between friends. THe terms wewre thrown around constantly, especially in high school.

Some things like the last are difficult to understand how they were used unless you were there and young at the time.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:51 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Peacenik - Someone against the Vietnam war
Hawk - Someone who wanted to bomb Hanoi
Draft-dodger - Someone who didn't particularly want to be shipped to Vietnam
Head shop - A store that sold illegal drug paraphernalia, or so I've been told
Grass - Marijuana
Weed - See grass, above
Pig - Cop
Fuzz - See pig, above
Flower Child - Someone who wore love beads
Love beads - Something worn by a flower child, see above
Stoned - The result of patronizing the head shop
Rap - What you did with your friends after Philosophy class
Score - Used in connection with grass, see above
Flip 'em off - Express displeasure with someone by showing them your middle finger
Flash 'em the bird (see Flip 'em off, above)
Lay it on me - What you said when you wanted to rap
Bitchin - Primo
Primo - See bitchin', above

Old 05-03-2012, 02:06 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Groovy?

Old 05-03-2012, 04:52 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Gnarly- either really good or really bad
Wicked awesome or just wicked - really good
Pronto style - ASAP
Bitchin- good
Big time- alot
Sketchy - creepy, not truthful
Stoked -happy
kook/dweeb - loser
grom/grommets - little kids

Old 05-03-2012, 05:04 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
Retard.

You could refer to yourself as a retard if you did something retarded. You could call somebody else a retard if they did something retarded. Or you could poke fun at someone as being a retard if they were trying to act all cool and uppity when really they were being... retarded. Or if something happened that was dumb, you could say that was retarded. I'm sure there were other ways we used it that I'm not thinking about right now.

You can't do that these days. It's considered offensive. Like, calling fat people fat. But, personally, I feel like P.C.'ness has gotten out of hand. People are too sensitive and take things way too seriously, IMO. People are retards that way sometimes. lol

Old 05-03-2012, 07:53 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,835 times
Cool (one of those timeless words, I think)
Killer (really cool: Oh wow, those shoe are killer!)
Gnarly (excessive/extreme: I drank a gnarly amount of beer last night)
Tubular (surfer term that meant something good)
Dude/Dudette (male/female)
Tripendicular (from Fast Times at Ridgemont High)

And of course all that had to be said in a Valley Girl voice (or a Spicole voice if you were a dude).
Zolar (loser)

Old 05-04-2012, 10:08 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
Gag!

We used to say that, too... our parents said "gag me with a spoon!" but we just shortened it to "gag!"

Old 05-04-2012, 11:20 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,017,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Retard.

You could refer to yourself as a retard if you did something retarded. You could call somebody else a retard if they did something retarded. Or you could poke fun at someone as being a retard if they were trying to act all cool and uppity when really they were being... retarded. Or if something happened that was dumb, you could say that was retarded. I'm sure there were other ways we used it that I'm not thinking about right now.

You can't do that these days. It's considered offensive. Like, calling fat people fat. But, personally, I feel like P.C.'ness has gotten out of hand. People are too sensitive and take things way too seriously, IMO. People are retards that way sometimes. lol
When was that? I remember "retard" was used as an insult at least to the late 90s even to early 2000s where I live but not much after that (probably due to claims it was offensive, like you mention). I will still occasionally hear it but very rarely and not as often as it was say even 10 or 15 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education