Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 07:24 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
The dr. prescribed Focalin. We will do the environmental allergy tests do....and the teacher said we will start looking into the 504 plan, as he is unlikely to qualify for an IEP.

So you guys confirm that his disinclination to read independently has to with the ADHD?
Do you realize you are looking for a medical diagnosis for your child from an anonymous internet message board?

It has nothing to do with ADHD. As a teacher I saw a gazillion kids who didn't like to read, and none of them had AD-anything. But some of them had overbearing parents who tried to force them to read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 07:48 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
You cannot make someone like something if they don't like it. As long as he is willing to read what he needs to read when he needs to read it you should be happy.

BTW-plenty of kids have parents that help them at home.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:57 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
Your child does show all the symptoms of ADHD.
Children that age usually still like to be read to, even though they can read themselves.
It would only take a few minutes at bedtime. Perhaps his other parent could do this, if you don't have time.
All things considered it does sound like you are being too competitive and pushy - you might just end up pushing him away
from books forever.
(Just because he doesn't want to read now, doesn't mean it will always be this way.)

Old 09-09-2012, 08:08 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Why? Because a parent can only read to you so much. Because a parent nowadays is overwhelmed with so many other responsibilities (well, at least the kind of parents we are...we both have heavy, professional careers)...and because a parent cannot read the world to you.

There is A WORDL to read about out there and in my experience, children who do not become voracious, curious readers, may still end up doing a good job in school and snatch some degrees from various higher ed institutions, but they will NEVER, EVER end up truly educated individuals.

This is why.
And what if your child becomes one of those people who are successful without ever becoming one who loves to read simply for the sake of reading? Then what? Will you make it clear to him that you find him unacceptable regardless of his accomplishments? That's the path you are headed down.

And kids enjoy being read to for all kinds of reasons, not the least of which is simply spending some sweet snugly downtime with their parent. I'm sorry you seem to feel this is a burden to you. It's a time that's gone soon enough.

Have you considered some kind of after school activity to help him expend some energy? Help him find something HE enjoys doing in his downtime. And no, he doesn't have to be great at it, he simply needs to enjoy it and have some fun. He may (or may not) be more inclined to pick up a book then......

ETA to clarify by after school activity I do not necessarily mean organized sports.....free play with logos or other things that do not require him to sit still and are something he enjoys is what I mean.

Last edited by maciesmom; 09-09-2012 at 08:35 AM..

Old 09-09-2012, 08:10 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Yes, classroom behavior can be a problem too. He is not disruptive to other children, but he is to himself. The teacher reports he needs constant reminders to stay on task, he dazes off, he blurts out answers but he fails to raise the hand when he should often because he dazes off, he has a very disorganized desk, etc.
Many children at that age behave similarly in school. It isn't easy for most 7 year olds to remain on task for a full school day. But, even if at some point medication would be deemed helpful (and nothing you've said makes me think this is the time), it should only be a dose low enough to get him through the school hours, not to make life a bit easier at home.

Is reading assigned as part of the homework nightly? It always was for my boys, but perhaps that didn't start until the later grades, I can't remember. I am also a voracious reader, but the boys would read what was required, and rarely one page more. Somehow they have managed to make it through school with great success.

I think as long as he is performing well academically, skip the meds, don't pursue the IEP, and lighten up on the reading demands. Medicating ADHD children should only be done to make their lives better, not ours.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:27 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Many children at that age behave similarly in school. It isn't easy for most 7 year olds to remain on task for a full school day. But, even if at some point medication would be deemed helpful (and nothing you've said makes me think this is the time), it should only be a dose low enough to get him through the school hours, not to make life a bit easier at home.

Is reading assigned as part of the homework nightly? It always was for my boys, but perhaps that didn't start until the later grades, I can't remember. I am also a voracious reader, but the boys would read what was required, and rarely one page more. Somehow they have managed to make it through school with great success.

I think as long as he is performing well academically, skip the meds, don't pursue the IEP, and lighten up on the reading demands. Medicating ADHD children should only be done to make their lives better, not ours.
I teach 3rd grade (special education), but I along with the other 3rd grade teacher assign 30 minutes of reading a night. Thing is we don't require the child to read the book. The parents can read the book to the child. It really doesn't matter who is doing the reading as long as the child is exposed to the text. Plus when the parent and child read together it improves parental involvement, and the overall performance of the student in school. Kids need to know their parents care about their education, and reading together is a great way to do that.

One thing I should have asked the OP you say your son is a good reader, and that's great. Here's my question does he comprehend what he reads? I've worked with students who can read anything you put in front of them, but if I ask them what they've read they can't tell me. At 7 even if he is advanced his comprehension is most likely not to the point where he'll be reading a lot for enjoyment. Typically at 7 children are more into imaginative play e.g. legos, action figures.... If he's not comprehending then that could be the reason he is not reading as you think he should. Has he had a DRA or Rigby?

Old 09-09-2012, 08:31 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I teach 3rd grade (special education), but I along with the other 3rd grade teacher assign 30 minutes of reading a night. Thing is we don't require the child to read the book. The parents can read the book to the child. It really doesn't matter who is doing the reading as long as the child is exposed to the text. Plus when the parent and child read together it improves parental involvement, and the overall performance of the student in school. Kids need to know their parents care about their education, and reading together is a great way to do that.
I completely agree, and sometimes I would read to them, sometimes they read to me, and at other times they read independently. The OP is looking to get away from being involved in the process.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:52 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,443,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Do you realize you are looking for a medical diagnosis for your child from an anonymous internet message board?

It has nothing to do with ADHD. As a teacher I saw a gazillion kids who didn't like to read, and none of them had AD-anything. But some of them had overbearing parents who tried to force them to read.
I already have the medical dx, Marie. I am not looking for it from the board.

I sympathize with your outraged tone and I will choose to ignore the personal attacks. No, seriously - no grudge - I can completely hear you because often times I feel exactly the way you do.
That this is not even a real "condition", it is who he is and that's that. He just doesn't fit this world that demands of children at increasingly younger ages to be studious, readers, academically-oriented, book-oriented, focused, quick hand-raisers, communicative, etc - or else.
Or else they end up not doing that well in school - with the series of negative chain-reactions that ensure from that reality, once established.

For now, he has no academic issues because I've sit on him like a hawk, knowing his focus-related weaknesses.But school is not getting any easier, it is getting harder - and my tutoring interventions might only go so far in the future.

We are still debating the medication - yes, I am aware of the side effects, and we might end up not using it anyway. We haven't started anything.

WE will try to get his 504 at school. The school is unlikely to give in for an IEP.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:55 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
I refused to eat when my mother hounded me to death. I liked food. I just didn't like to be over-controlled. Maybe it's you.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:38 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,443,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I completely agree, and sometimes I would read to them, sometimes they read to me, and at other times they read independently. The OP is looking to get away from being involved in the process.
100% wrong.

I have NO INTENTION of cutting out my nightly reading to him. I often read to him advanced books that he loves and that he would not be able to read by himself given the complexity of phrases. I would never deprive him of this kind of exposure.

However, what I WOULD love to see is that he himself picks something to read on his own, at whatever level is comfortable for him, in addition to the reading I do for him myself.

So don't put words in my mouth and intentions in my brain. They are not there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education