Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2012, 09:07 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,162,761 times

Advertisements

It's not always a simplistic case of "bathroom abuse" or "teacher power trip."

In some cases, do teachers abuse power? Oh, certainly.

Do students? Well, think of this: Let's say I have a class of 30 students. Fifteen of them decide they want to use the bathroom. (This is not fiction.) I therefore have to spend time writing bathroom passes -- let's say, thirty seconds per pass. Students also have to come in and go out throughout the hour as they enter and leave.

At thirty seconds per pass times fifteen students, that's 7.5 minutes per period spent simply writing passes.
That's also 30 times the students in the room are disrupted by entrances and exits.

If this happens every single day, we have now lost 22.5 HOURS to simply writing passes by the end of the year. This represents your taxpayer dollars being (kinda literally) pissed away on non-instructional time, while the time not directly lost in writing passes is disrupted by entrances and exits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 09:17 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Wallace View Post
It's not always a simplistic case of "bathroom abuse" or "teacher power trip."

In some cases, do teachers abuse power? Oh, certainly.

Do students? Well, think of this: Let's say I have a class of 30 students. Fifteen of them decide they want to use the bathroom. (This is not fiction.) I therefore have to spend time writing bathroom passes -- let's say, thirty seconds per pass. Students also have to come in and go out throughout the hour as they enter and leave.

At thirty seconds per pass times fifteen students, that's 7.5 minutes per period spent simply writing passes.
That's also 30 times the students in the room are disrupted by entrances and exits.

If this happens every single day, we have now lost 22.5 HOURS to simply writing passes by the end of the year. This represents your taxpayer dollars being (kinda literally) pissed away on non-instructional time, while the time not directly lost in writing passes is disrupted by entrances and exits.
Having wooden passes and having only 2 students at a time out of the room eliminates the time spent writing passes. That was something our schools implemented. The passes had the room number on it and were for bathroom passes only.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:05 PM

200 posts, read 482,992 times
I've seen kids pee on themselves because teacher's tell them no, so what's your opinion?

OMG. What a no-brainer.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:44 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,202,821 times
I have a policy in my classes that you can get up and just go to the bathroom just only one at a time.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:24 PM

652 posts, read 1,053,253 times
I haven't read the whole thread, but there is another reason one segment of the population needs to go more often, and that is girls that are menstruating. A small percentage that have really heavy flow may need more visits at certain times, and might need a little more time with each visit.

Unless we want them to wear some super heavy duty diaper, there are probably some girls on any given day that would feel most comfortable going to the bathroom every hour to two hours to assess the situation.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:05 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur66 View Post
I haven't read the whole thread, but there is another reason one segment of the population needs to go more often, and that is girls that are menstruating. A small percentage that have really heavy flow may need more visits at certain times, and might need a little more time with each visit.

Unless we want them to wear some super heavy duty diaper, there are probably some girls on any given day that would feel most comfortable going to the bathroom every hour to two hours to assess the situation.
I had a girl come in late the other day and I informed her she was tardy. At the end of the hour, she, discreetly let me know that she was late becuase she was on her period and had to use the bathroom. I excused the tardy. IMO, this is the way it should be handled. She didn't argue about the tardy. She just came to me at the end of the hour. I'm ok with that.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:28 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,677,361 times
Okay, I am not going to read 10 pages on bathroom passes (sorry), but I have two cents.

I give my students two restroom passes at the beginning of the semester. If they have them at the end of the semester, they are extra credit. If they use them both and still need to use the restroom, we call home each time. That is usually enough to put the kibosh on restroom abuse.

One thing I have noticed: Since obesity is rampant and students, in general, are eating larger portions, their need to go #2 is greater and it may come in the middle of the day. (TMI, I know)

Old 09-25-2012, 08:56 PM

328 posts, read 682,653 times
Default teachers

The school should give the teachers two passes for the semester to use the bathroom. If they do not use it they should earn credits. The credits can be used for a big glass of water, or a small glass of water, except in New York City--where only a 16 ounce of water will be made available.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:58 PM

328 posts, read 682,653 times
Default teachers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Okay, I am not going to read 10 pages on bathroom passes (sorry), but I have two cents.

I give my students two restroom passes at the beginning of the semester. If they have them at the end of the semester, they are extra credit. If they use them both and still need to use the restroom, we call home each time. That is usually enough to put the kibosh on restroom abuse.

One thing I have noticed: Since obesity is rampant and students, in general, are eating larger portions, their need to go #2 is greater and it may come in the middle of the day. (TMI, I know)

The school should give the teachers two passes for the semester to use the bathroom. If they do not use it they should earn credits. The credits can be used for a big glass of water, or a small glass of water, except in New York City--where only a 16 ounce of water will be made available.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:05 PM

639 posts, read 1,964,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I had a girl come in late the other day and I informed her she was tardy. At the end of the hour, she, discreetly let me know that she was late becuase she was on her period and had to use the bathroom. I excused the tardy. IMO, this is the way it should be handled. She didn't argue about the tardy. She just came to me at the end of the hour. I'm ok with that.
When I was in high school there is no way I would have been able to tell a teacher I was on my period. I would have been way too embarrassed, and I'm sure that's true for many girls. Especially if the teacher is male. They shouldn't be required to explain why they need to go.

I read through part of the thread, and I'm amazed at how often teachers have posted about half their class needing to go to the restroom at the same time. I can't imagine that happening at any school I went to. Very few people abused it at my school, and they were usually the same few "class clown" type boys who always did things like that. Not hard to recognize.

I was always very frustrated by not being allowed to use the restroom at school. Being allowed to use the bathroom should be a basic human right for children, and I consider denying them that right to be child abuse. I'd like to know how many teachers and administrators manage to go the full 7-9 hours (including commuting time) without using the bathroom?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education