Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 09:00 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times

Advertisements

I think if a teacher is having an issue with numerous students abusing bathroom breaks, the teacher might want to consider what else is going on, and why in her class. Using the restroom is a norml function; having a difficult student or two goes with the territory; having consistent problems with numerous students indicates a classroom management problem or a teacher who for some reason isn't engaging the students. JMO of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 09:06 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,883,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I don't have a problem with it. I just make sure I pee during my lunch break so I don't have to later. I know the score. If I don't go at 10:30, I won't get to go again until 2:30. So I go at 10:30. What I don't get is why this is unreasonable to expect of students but ok to expect from teachers. Believe it not, teachers are human too and subject to the same biological processeses.

I know about human digestion...why do you think I make it a point to go to the bathroom right after I have lunch? Hint...so I won't have to later when certain processes kick in. I know that I'm going to have to go shortly after eating so I go preemptively. It's like going to the bathroom before a long car trip. If you start out with your bladder empty, you go longer before you need to use the bathroom again. Do you really not know this? As long as I go during lunch, I don't have a problem making it to the end of the day. I don't remember the last time I left class to go to the bathroom. I did a few times my first year but I figured it out and haven't called anyone to watch my class in over three years.

If students made it a point go to the bathroom at lunch time, they'd be asking for fewer bathroom passes. I've asked kids why they didn't go at lunch and they, usually, tell me they were busy talking to friends. They wait until class starts to ask. I find that annoying when they could have gone 5 minutes earlier and not disrupted class.
I'd rather just let the kid go, then have to clean up pee all over the floor. If they miss the information, it's their job to get it, so let them stay after school,or get it from a friend.
If I was a teacher, I would not try to figure out who has to go, or who doesn't, just let em go. Will they miss information? Yes, is it my job to reteach it? No.

During Senior Year In Highschool, I had 6th lunch. So I had nothing to drink until 6th period. When the bell rang, I did not have to go, but it doesn't take very long before I had to go.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:11 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
I'd rather just let the kid go, then have to clean up pee all over the floor. If they miss the information, it's their job to get it, so let them stay after school,or get it from a friend.
If I was a teacher, I would not try to figure out who has to go, or who doesn't, just let em go. Will they miss information? Yes, is it my job to reteach it? No.

During Senior Year In Highschool, I had 6th lunch. So I had nothing to drink until 6th period. When the bell rang, I did not have to go, but it doesn't take very long before I had to go.
Unfortunately, it becomes my job to give it to them. I really wish I could hold kids accountable for what they miss but I can't. It's me who ends up staying after school to teach them what they missed because they were out of the room or me who has to repeat the material during class for them. I find that very annoying.

I used to have a girl who liked to sit in my class and text. I, finally, decided to just let her because I was tired of the game (I have to actually see the phone to take it. Kids are good at pocketing it before I get into a position where I can see it so it's a game.). I figured it was her grade (BIG MISTAKE on my part). At one point, when we were going over a review, she blurted out "WHEN did you teach us this?" in an incredulous voice. Before I could answer, the entire class shouted back "When you were texting". Guess who got into trouble because she was texting in class and not paying attention. Hint NOT HER. I learned the hard way that I am not allowed to let my students learn from the natural consequences of their actions. I'm supposed to police their actions so there are no consequences for them. I find this annoying. I have plenty of kids who want to learn. I'd rather spend my time on them.

I do not let kids go during lectures or labs. They know this is my policy. I'm ok with being a couple of minutes late if they get to the class and tell me they're going to the bathroom. They're, usually, back before I have attendance in. I don't care if they go during work time as long as I'm not seeing the same students over and over asking to go. I do see this in 7th hour but that's because the kids take the bus and once they're done with their work, they'll start asking to use the bathroom (I think they work harder just so they can get done and go). I let them go one at a time. I know it's just that they want to have time to get to the bus and they're a good class anyway. Most of them are done with their work with 10 minutes to spare. If it's not disrupting class, I really don't care.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 09-15-2012 at 09:20 PM..

Old 09-15-2012, 09:16 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
That depends on the factilities. I would assume that only a small percentage of the students have to go at the same time and factilities are adequate. I went to a high school with over 2000 students and don't recall having a problem peeing between classes. Heck, I had time to go out for a smoke...(back in the 70's when students had smoking areas). Where there's a will, there's a way.

What irks me is when they ask right after lunch. Seriously? You were just in the cafeteria for 30 minutes with 5 minutes passing on each end and you couldn't use the bathroom?
I went to a high school comprised of four floors, 1200 students and about 10 bathrooms, 3 stalls each. I had time for a smoke too - right inside the bathroom stall.

As for lunch? The time it takes to stand in line, get your lunch, pay and find a seat let alone eat takes up the better part of a half hour.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
I don't have a problem with it. I just make sure I pee during my lunch break so I don't have to later. I know the score. If I don't go at 10:30, I won't get to go again until 2:30. So I go at 10:30. What I don't get is why this is unreasonable to expect of students but ok to expect from teachers. Believe it not, teachers are human too and subject to the same biological processeses.

I think it's just as silly for teachers to have to wait to go too.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, it becomes my job to give it to them. I really wish I could hold kids accountable for what they miss but I can't. It's me who ends up staying after school to teach them what they missed because they were out of the room or me who has to repeat the material during class for them. I find that very annoying.

I used to have a girl who liked to sit in my class and text. I, finally, decided to just let her. I figured it was her grade (BIG MISTAKE on my part). At one point, when we were going over a review, she blurted out "WHEN did you teach us this?" in an incredulous voice. Before I could answer, the entire class shouted back "When you were texting". Guess who got into trouble because she was texting in class and not paying attention. Hint NOT HER. I learned the hard way that I am not allowed to let my students learn from the natural consequences of their actions. I'm supposed to police their actions so there are no consequences for them. I find this annoying. I have plenty of kids who want to learn. I'd rather spend my time on them.

I do not let kids go during lectures or labs. They know this is my policy. I'm ok with being a couple of minutes late if they get to the class and tell me they're going to the bathroom. They're, usually, back before I have attendance in. I don't care if they go during work time as long as I'm not seeing the same students over and over asking to go. I do see this in 7th hour but that's because the kids take the bus and once they're done with their work, they'll start asking to use the bathroom. I let them go one at a time. I know it's just that they want to have time to get to the bus and they're a good class anyway. Most of them are done with their work with 10 minutes to spare. If it's not disrupting class, I really don't care.
Is this really that big of an issue? Kids are literally missing THAT much classwork due to going to the bathroom?

Old 09-15-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Is this really that big of an issue? Kids are literally missing THAT much classwork due to going to the bathroom?
In some classes, yes. With some kids, yes. I've had kids who will ask for a bathroom pass every single day. I had to go to a once a week policy in one of my classes last year because there were so many bathroom requests (lower level chemistry course with kids who really did not want to be there). I swear half the class went on Friday . They knew they had one pass and they used it.

If every student asks for a pass once a week, that's 6 passes a day per hour and a total of 150 minutes of class missed just in one class (multiply by 7). You have to put this in perspective. We have 50 minute periods. 5 minutes is 10% of our class time. It's 25% of a lecture. It may mean they miss the lab procedures, or the chemical disposal procedures, or the safety talk before a lab or that they don't have time to finish the lab.

Most of my classes are pretty good about asking before the bell rings or waiting until we're in work time or labs are done but there are the kids who abuse bathroom passes. Sometimes, whole classes do.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:26 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,883,712 times
Quote:

I used to have a girl who liked to sit in my class and text. I, finally, decided to just let her because I was tired of the game (I have to actually see the phone to take it. Kids are good at pocketing it before I get into a position where I can see it so it's a game.). I figured it was her grade (BIG MISTAKE on my part). At one point, when we were going over a review, she blurted out "WHEN did you teach us this?" in an incredulous voice. Before I could answer, the entire class shouted back "When you were texting". Guess who got into trouble because she was texting in class and not paying attention. Hint NOT HER. I learned the hard way that I am not allowed to let my students learn from the natural consequences of their actions. I'm supposed to police their actions so there are no consequences for them. I find this annoying. I have plenty of kids who want to learn. I'd rather spend my time on them.

I do not let kids go during lectures or labs. They know this is my policy. I'm ok with being a couple of minutes late if they get to the class and tell me they're going to the bathroom. They're, usually, back before I have attendance in. I don't care if they go during work time as long as I'm not seeing the same students over and over asking to go. I do see this in 7th hour but that's because the kids take the bus and once they're done with their work, they'll start asking to use the bathroom (I think they work harder just so they can get done and go). I let them go one at a time. I know it's just that they want to have time to get to the bus and they're a good class anyway. Most of them are done with their work with 10 minutes to spare. If it's not disrupting class, I really don't care.

I think it depends. Obviously, telling a kid to wait a sec and a downright no is different.

If a teacher tells a student no, I wouldn't be surprised to see the student just walk out. I've seen it happen.
Telling them to wait until I get to a certain point is a little more acceptable depending on how bad they have to go.

Most who actually have to pee don't miss that much, probably less than 5 minutes.

My Highschool was tough, we only had 3 minutes, which barley gave us enough times to get books, so we'd run slamming into each other like to trains just trying to make the bell.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I think it's just as silly for teachers to have to wait to go too.
What would you suggest? It's not like I can walk out of my room. There, simply, are no bathroom passes for teachers. In a dire emergency you can call the vice principal to come watch your class but do that too many times and it's going on your PR. So you figure it out.

I don't even think about it anymore. I know how much I can drink in the morning and at lunch and I make sure I go at lunch time so I can make it to the end of the day. I do have to get back on that schedule before school starts though. I get used to just going when I want during the summer.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
I think it depends. Obviously, telling a kid to wait a sec and a downright no is different.

If a teacher tells a student no, I wouldn't be surprised to see the student just walk out. I've seen it happen.
Telling them to wait until I get to a certain point is a little more acceptable depending on how bad they have to go.

Most who actually have to pee don't miss that much, probably less than 5 minutes.

My Highschool was tough, we only had 3 minutes, which barley gave us enough times to get books, so we'd run slamming into each other like to trains just trying to make the bell.
Three minutes passing time is not enough but some schools have to do it to keep issues to a minimum. It's human nature to take care of what you have to when you have limited time and to goof off when you have excess time. Still, 3 minutes is short. Is there a reason it's that short?

Personally, I'd like to see 15 minutes between classes, like they do in Asian schools (to give students time to ask the teacher questions and give the teacher a chance to take care of things too) but we're responsible for anything students do when at school so we can't do that. We have to watch them all the time so giving them time where they could find trouble would be taboo. We're not allowed to hold our students accoubtable for their own actions like they can do in other countries. I understand France has a two hour lunch when kids and teachers can actually leave campus. Can't do that here. We're liable for anything a student does during school hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education