Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 07:47 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times

Advertisements

We have a traditional calendar of 180 instructional days, with school days lasting 6.5 hours. School started in early August and ends the third week of May.

Studies do not show that the year-round calendar improves student learning, and any time it is brought up by school boards in my county, it is voted down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 09:12 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Our kids go 186 days. HS runs from 7:30 - 2:40.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Our kids go 176, I believe.

Elementary School: 6 1/2 hrs/day
Middle School: 6hr, 50 min
High School 7 1/2 hrs

Old 09-18-2012, 12:09 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Here the instructional school day is not 6 hours a day but rather 7 1/2

So in a UK school there are 1140 school hours, and in the US there are 1342 hours. Appears we have a longer school year after all.
Yes sorry I wasn't being specific about the number of hours in the day. Are your kids in public elementary school? If so you are getting a better deal, because my two older kids (grades 3 and 5) are actually doing the same length day in California as they were in the UK: 6 hours 25 mins.
Here they do from 8.35am - 3pm.
In the UK they were doing 8.50am - 3.25pm (this is what I meant by the school day being roughly the same)

In fact my daughter who is in grade 2 is only doing 5 hrs 10 mins here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Our kids go 176, I believe.

Elementary School: 6 1/2 hrs/day
Middle School: 6hr, 50 min
High School 7 1/2 hrs
Thanks. Do you think these hours are fairly standard throughout the US?

--------------------------------------------------------

Here in California, my kids had a roughly 10 week summer break which I wondered how on earth we were going to fill, but was surprised at how fast it went, and it was nice spending the time with the kids. (My kids thought all their birthdays had come at once!! They were in heaven!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
We used to have this type of modified calendar at some of our schools, but they all went back to traditional calendars due to budget cuts a couple of years ago. (The district preferred the term "modified calendar" as one that was more accurate than "year round".) Many teachers, myself included, would like to go to this type of schedule.

We have 183 student days. I think our student day of 6 hours and 40 minutes is long enough.
As a teacher, what was it you preferred about the modified calendar? I was a teacher back in the UK before I had kids. I'd have loved a 10 week break myself!! 6 weeks used to go very fast I remember!

Old 09-18-2012, 12:42 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times
When I was in school it was around 170-175 days, 6.75 hrs / day most days.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:21 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Summer break dates back to when 70-some percent of our nation's economy was based on agriculture and kids were expected to help out on the family farm. The idea eventually spread to urban schools as a means of preventing "overstimulation" of the students.
And then it spread to the teachers' unions...

Old 09-18-2012, 03:43 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentmum View Post
Hi there,
I moved to California from the UK about a year ago. I have 3 kids all at public elementary school here.
Having completed a school year and long summer break, it felt to me that the kids were always off school compared to back home, however on investigation, I have found that actually in my case its only 11 days different. I guess it just feels a lot more due to the long summer break here.
In the UK there is a standard of 190 instructional days.
In the US I understand it varies from state to state. My kids have 179 instructional days at their school here.

A friend of mine said that historically the long summer break was because adults felt that kids should be kids and be allowed to enjoy their childhood.
I just wondered how others feel about the amount of free time kids have in the US and in other countries. I'd be interested to get some other perspectives on this.
I think kids have too much free time. I think kids benefit from structure. I'd love to see, at least, three more weeks of school, and breaks scattered throughout the year instead of concentrated in the summer. I'm in the minority though so it will never happen.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Summer break dates back to when 70-some percent of our nation's economy was based on agriculture and kids were expected to help out on the family farm. The idea eventually spread to urban schools as a means of preventing "overstimulation" of the students.
Actually no. The time the farm needs kids to work is planting season (May) and harvesting season (September and October). The summer off has nothing to do with agriculture. In areas that had an agrarian calendar, kids went to school in June, July and August. They're just not needed at home to watch the crops grow. They still had three months off. They were just May, September and October. It was when we no longer needed the kids on the farm that the months off were moved to June, July and August. I don't know why but if I had to hazard a guess it would be that schools were not air conditioned but neither were homes back then so that's just a guess.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
And then it spread to the teachers' unions...
Only because it gave us a block of time to work another job. As a teacher and parent, I'd like to see the breaks spread throughout the year but that will take away my ability to earn extra income in the summer. That will kill ever going to year round schools. NO one is going to compensate us for the time we can no longer work.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
We have a traditional calendar of 180 instructional days, with school days lasting 6.5 hours. School started in early August and ends the third week of May.

Studies do not show that the year-round calendar improves student learning, and any time it is brought up by school boards in my county, it is voted down.
Yup. The general public wants schools to take the summer off. THAT is why we have the summers off. It doesn't matter what the studies say. John Q. Public knows better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education