Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 08:49 AM

572 posts, read 1,304,624 times

Advertisements

A teacher at my dear stepson's school recently "rewarded" students (11-12 year-olds) by buying them Big Macs.

I am a teacher, so I know what it is like to deal with helicopter parents. I don't want to be "that" parent. However, this is really bothering me. Dear stepson is overweight, bordering on obese, and he gets teased for being fat. School is aware of this. Last year, child asked for a conference, because he wanted to discuss how unhappy he was at school.

I try to stress good eating habits and exercise, but I am fighting a losing battle. His parents do not think it is a problem, and I guess now, neither does one of his primary teachers. Help me understand why a teacher would bring a Big Mac to a kid with a weight problem, or any kid for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 08:58 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,078,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1 View Post
A teacher at my dear stepson's school recently "rewarded" students (11-12 year-olds) by buying them Big Macs.

I am a teacher, so I know what it is like to deal with helicopter parents. I don't want to be "that" parent. However, this is really bothering me. Dear stepson is overweight, bordering on obese, and he gets teased for being fat. School is aware of this. Last year, child asked for a conference, because he wanted to discuss how unhappy he was at school.

I try to stress good eating habits and exercise, but I am fighting a losing battle. His parents do not think it is a problem, and I guess now, neither does one of his primary teachers. Help me understand why a teacher would bring a Big Mac to a kid with a weight problem, or any kid for that matter.
Former NC teacher here...one question for you..does your stepson buy lunch at school? Because if he does, he is getting wayyy worse than a big mac.

The teacher is not very bright, obviously. I'd report it to the admin myself. That's really pretty bad.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:02 AM

572 posts, read 1,304,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
Former NC teacher here...one question for you..does your stepson buy lunch at school? Because if he does, he is getting wayyy worse than a big mac.
On days he is with us, I make his lunch. Pretty sure he gets school lunch on the other days.

I hear you on the school lunch. There was a time when I was going to take on this monster and do a "Jamie Oliver." I had this whole nutrition plan and was going to help schools get on this plan. Then I realized that it would be like fighting 30439823950986 city halls.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:01 AM

22,638 posts, read 47,790,777 times
It is a bad idea, IMHO.

But at 550 calories, a Big Mac on occasion is not horrible.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:19 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,285,146 times
Just curious, but how do you feel about teachers giving students candy, chips, and other crap like that? Because it happens everywhere, all of the time, and most teachers/parents/administrators don't think twice about it.

Personally I am not a big fan of giving candy to kids as a reward or any kind of motivation. In the past when I have done it, I have tried to use things like raisins or pretzels, things that aren't exactly healthy, but aren't terrible, either.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:07 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,206,723 times
Quote:

Since that would be extremely expensive on a teacher's budget, I really doubt that she came up with that reward herself. I am betting that the class decided on that reward and the teacher couldn't talk them out of it. The teacher is probably kicking herself for allowing the students to make suggestions and I'm sure that it won't happen again. If it was a class reward it would have really singled out your stepson if the teacher would have bought him a side salad instead of a Big Mac like the other kids had.

A "reward that big" was probably something that only happens once or twice a school year so I wouldn't obsess over it.

BTW My son was chunky in school but he was the one who decided to shape up and exercise on his own by the time he was 11 or 12. If your stepson is serious about it he will start to work harder on losing weight and shaping up. If his other parent/step parent set a bad example it will be harder but he can still be successful with help and encouragement from you.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:10 PM

109 posts, read 137,045 times
Big Macs tastes good, no big deal

Old 12-24-2012, 02:45 PM

701 posts, read 1,565,210 times
I wasn't aware this was an issue. I remember a teacher of mine, back in the 2nd grade, who used to give out candy and cinnamon gum to the students who did multiplication tables the fastest. You best believe I was hitting that math every time because I wanted the candy!

At 23 years old, I like to think that I'm still pretty speedy when it comes to multiplication, even though I haven't had a math course in years.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:50 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,258,782 times
Quote:
On days he is with us, I make his lunch. Pretty sure he gets school lunch on the other days.

I hear you on the school lunch. There was a time when I was going to take on this monster and do a "Jamie Oliver." I had this whole nutrition plan and was going to help schools get on this plan. Then I realized that it would be like fighting 30439823950986 city halls.
Personally, I think the kids probably wanted big macs...Big deal. Be glad he has a teacher that cares enough to reward the kids. If you are really upset, offer to take the class next time, on your dime...and take them to a health food store or juice bar.
I think if you are worried about this child, that is a start. But, his mother is his primary care giver obviously, or he'd be living w/ you and his father full time. As a stepparent, you have a small role...His parents are the ones who need to step in and do whatever they deem necessary. Feed him well, teach him good habits. Buy him a membership to a gym, or his local Y. Have exercise equipment at your house, work out w/ him. Make sure he knows that he is wonderful and praise his good behavior....it will plant the seed.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:35 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,728,698 times
In sixth grade my teacher took 6 or 7 of us to the mall to eat at a chinese place as a reward. Permissions slips were required.

Didn't the rewarding of Big Macs require parental notification and permission?

And if so, you're a bit of a busybody for worrying about it.

If not, that's an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education