Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 10:26 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Technology has in effect - removed memory from the young human brain...has removed skill that was once gotten from rehearsal and simple repetition. The function of memory and human skill has been suffered a transfer - form the human to the machine...now everything is stored OUTSIDE the young human being///// in other words their brain is now in the computer...I just hope there is never a prolonged electrical power failure...they would perish.
A disciplined memory function is key to intelligence. If younger generations are getting by without developing their memory, that could be a problem down the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 11:49 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Technology has in effect - removed memory from the young human brain...has removed skill that was once gotten from rehearsal and simple repetition. The function of memory and human skill has been suffered a transfer - form the human to the machine...now everything is stored OUTSIDE the young human being///// in other words their brain is now in the computer...I just hope there is never a prolonged electrical power failure...they would perish.
Unfortunately, I have to agree.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:54 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
A disciplined memory function is key to intelligence. If younger generations are getting by without developing their memory, that could be a problem down the line.
Very true. Also, people are relying and depending on spell check, on looking things up without any effort, on copying and pasting, on not having to write formally, and kids are reading books less and less.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:36 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Simple recall is viewed as obsolete, and this causes problems across the board.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:26 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,412,409 times
Do the schools help each child find what he or she likes to read in grade school?

Or do they just tell them what to read no matter how boring? Won't that teach them to hate reading? If they won't read, how will they learn to write reasonably well?

psik

Old 07-01-2013, 09:43 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,744,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPDAL View Post
Why Do You Capitilize Every Word In The Topic Title? That's some poor writing in my opinion.
There is a bunch of grammatical mistakes from the adult posters in this thread as well.
There are a bunch of grammatical mistakes....

Old 07-01-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
Do the schools help each child find what he or she likes to read in grade school?

Or do they just tell them what to read no matter how boring? Won't that teach them to hate reading? If they won't read, how will they learn to write reasonably well?

psik
Schools didn't teach me to love reading books. My dad taught me that - watching him read voraciously! I have found that when the folks kids live with are avid readers, the KIDS become avid readers.

Schools, on the other hand, taught me to love certain types of higher literature. A lot of kids were bored, but I loved Shakespeare. I became enthralled with the play, Othello, and the character of Iago, went to see the NY Shakespeare Festival, and as an adult, went to Stratford-on-Avon. Fell in love with The Canterbury Tales when I found out what they were really about! How did I fall in love with all that? Easy. I already had a background of reading, which I'd learned from having my dad, the avid reader, as a role model, so I had an interest in words, letters, stories, reading.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:46 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is so funny. Consider that when writing was first developed, the people thought it would stop people from remembering oral history. We USED to pass everything down by listening and reciting. I doubt if anyone recites anything from memory any longer. In reference to writing things down, Socrates had this to say:

Out of the Jungle: Socrates' objections to writing

Quote:
...this discovery of yours will create forgetfulness in the learners’ souls, because they will not use their memories; they will trust to the external written characters and not remember of themselves. The specific which you have discovered is an aid not to memory, but to reminiscence, and you give your disciples not truth, but only the semblance of truth; they will be hearers of many things and will have learned nothing; they will appear to be omniscient and will generally know nothing; they will be tiresome company, having the show of wisdom without the reality.
Should we not have books then?

Old 07-01-2013, 10:59 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post

psik
I give a decent amount of choice, personally, and do try to tailor my selections to student taste. I DO have a lot of autonomy to do so,though.

I do not have a problem with exposing kids to genres they might not choose on their own, though. I was assigned books I didn't enjoy, and it didn't make me hate reading.

I started school with a love of reading, though. School didn't instill it, my parents beat them to it.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
This is so funny. Consider that when writing was first developed, the people thought it would stop people from remembering oral history. We USED to pass everything down by listening and reciting. I doubt if anyone recites anything from memory any longer. In reference to writing things down, Socrates had this to say:

Out of the Jungle: Socrates' objections to writing

Should we not have books then?
I don't know why you're comparing language (written, in this case, in books, in this case) to computers, which are things that have mega-millions of facts instantly, superglued to our fingers via a phone or computer.

See, EVEN IF you drive a caravan of trucks with 10,000 books around life, and don't ever get out of the caravan, even if you have the vast memory to know in which of the 10,000 to look all things up, even if you update the set of books daily, even if you keep all the newspapers of the world in the caravan as well, even if know where they all are, and even if you are able to have the speed of Spiderman to fly, pull out the one you want, and locate the page you (already know) you need, you STILL will not have the "memory-sparing" effects of the computer.

The computer relieves us from having to use most use of our memory, which is a really, really, really bad thing. And we have computer access 24/7, and even on our phones. We no longer have to remember one damned thing. Not even what we're doing tomorrow. And I didn't grow up this way, but kids now ARE growing up this way - not using their memories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education