Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 08:19 AM

280 posts, read 685,904 times

Advertisements

Another suggestion is to enable the closed captions when watching English-language programming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 08:37 PM

294 posts, read 476,222 times
Watch movies/television shows on DVD or on the internet so you can pause and rewind when you see/hear something interesting. This should be easy to do in China. Write things down so you don't forget them. Imitate the way it's said until it sticks. Download Skype/MSN/or even use QQ International to find foreigners who are outgoing and or looking to practice their Chinese. Books help if you want to improve your reading and grammar, and that's about it. Most people who only rely on textbooks for learning tend to sound like robots when talking.

That's about all you can do unless you have foreign friends in your country or are going to a country where the language is spoken.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:43 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,719,651 times
Screw more classes. You have to live the language and become immersed in it in your daily life. I have worked with many research scientists from mainland China and Taiwan. I do notice that it's hard to shake the accent, but their written English is impeccable.

Another possibility IS to take language courses taught by current or former US military NCOs, whose methods are very intensive and results oriented. I took an 8 week, 8 hour-a- day course in Spanish from such man because I had to pass an oral foreign language examination for a somewhat rare dialect in order to get a specific job assignment. I passed the test; took the assignment and had no difficulties.

Last edited by Frihed89; 07-23-2013 at 03:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education