Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 07:28 AM

4,507 posts, read 4,047,324 times

Advertisements

I think it's well known that grade schools do not prepare kids for the real world and most don't even prepare them well for college. Also entire subjects that are fundamental to our society (such as how to start a business) are so absent it's as if it doesn't even exist in the world. What classes do you think schools should have to better prepare kids for the real world, or at least truly maximize their chances / preparedness for college?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 08:00 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
I think it's well known that grade schools do not prepare kids for the real world and most don't even prepare them well for college. Also entire subjects that are fundamental to our society (such as how to start a business) are so absent it's as if it doesn't even exist in the world. What classes do you think schools should have to better prepare kids for the real world, or at least truly maximize their chances / preparedness for college?
Sure, let's start business admin in grade 1. Good grief! A person needs a general knowledge of the world first!

Old 11-18-2013, 08:03 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,186,174 times
Quote:

In later years of grade school, kids should be familiar with manipulating simple spreadsheets.

How many middle school kids even know what a spreadsheet is?

And, how many high school kids, college kids, and working adults DON'T have to know this?

More PE
More Math
More Science
More Information Technology
Less art
Less music
No history
No Literature
No cursive

Old 11-18-2013, 08:12 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
In later years of grade school, kids should be familiar with manipulating simple spreadsheets.

How many middle school kids even know what a spreadsheet is?

And, how many high school kids, college kids, and working adults DON'T have to know this?

More PE
More Math
More Science
More Information Technology
Less art
Less music
No history
No Literature

No cursive
Wow. That is truly frightening.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:19 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,186,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Especially the history the government wrote and the elected school board (they're politicians) approved.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:29 AM

22,594 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Really?

You want business classes in what?... second grade?

Our school district does an excellent job, both with out elementary curriculum AND with maximizing "their chances / preparedness for college" through senior high.

Why is YOUR district failing?

Old 11-18-2013, 08:35 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
It sure is!

"Those who forget the past are condemned to relive it".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Really?

You want business classes in what?... second grade?

Our school district does an excellent job, both with out elementary curriculum AND with maximizing "their chances / preparedness for college" through senior high.

Why is YOUR district failing?
My district as well. I even remember a little project they did in 4th or 5th grade called "mini-society" where they had to run a little business, e.g. selling craft items or such, and figure their costs, overhead and profits.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:46 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,353,873 times
The basics in grade school.

Math, Spelling, English, science, history, music, and PE should all be taught.

We should not teach to the test but teach where kids are at. Problems seem to be that so many teachers teach so the kids can past a test. That helps the school show that they are doing their job but when so much time is spent in passing a test how much education is taking place?

When you hit high school that would be the perfect time to explain how money works, how investment works. I would have a class on how improving yourself and excelling in school would help the student get into a better college.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:41 AM

4,507 posts, read 4,047,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
My district as well. I even remember a little project they did in 4th or 5th grade called "mini-society" where they had to run a little business, e.g. selling craft items or such, and figure their costs, overhead and profits.
I've played video games that would have prepared me more than that.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:43 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Quote:

Business MAth

Principles of Business

History of Capitalism

Be the best drone you can be

Wage Slave and HAPPY

Climbing the corporate ladder

How to use friends and manipulate peers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education