Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 08:38 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,377,273 times

Advertisements

My son will be a H.S. freshman next year and has stated that he wants to take 2 foreign languages throughout high school. He will have to give up his study hall to do this.

He has been taking French for several years, so he will be placed in Honors French 2 as a freshman (the AP track). He also wants to add Spanish 1, which he has little background in. All his friends are taking Spanish and he sees how useful it is.

He seems to have an aptitude for languages. He picked up French very easily (straight A's) and has nearly a perfect accent (according to his teacher). He has always been good at voices/impersonations/music so that doesn't surprise me - he has a very good ear. He is a quick study on learning vocab, sentence structure, etc. He is interested in foreign travel, intl. politics, etc.

I am wondering if taking a full H.S. load with 2 foreign language courses, plus all Honors courses, will be too much. Should I encourage him to look at taking Spanish classes outside the high school? I have heard that the H.S. language courses are relatively easy (e.g. have heard they are an easy "A") compared to the other coursework he'll be taking.

Will it be confusing / overwhelming for him to be studying 2 languages at once? Does taking 2 languages give him any advantage in the college admissions process?

Just curious if anyone has experience/advice in this area.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 11-13-2013 at 08:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 08:51 AM

22,587 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Sounds like it is a great choice for him!

Old 11-13-2013, 08:51 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,094 times
It is typically odd in American high schools to study one or more foreign languages in-depth but it is very normal in many places. Here (Quebec), students are generally bilingual French-English by graduation and many are also trilingual (Spanish).

I would greatly encourage your son to do this, as it presents itself a number of opportunities in later life (aside from travel, Spanish is in obvious demand in the US for business/public service work - you would be surprised as well the opportunities it opens up to Canadian business, which has nearly 25% population French speakers).

Learning French and Spanish together is great because one tends to reinforce the other, they are both similar in grammatical structures that are different from English (such as reflexive verbs). That and learning languages has been shown to increase overall intelligence, the more you think, the more you think.

I'm incredibly biased as I teach ESL and my kids are both in bilingual education (which is a standard here) but I say go for it. At worst, he can travel with it and have fun when young At best, good business opportunities. I'm sorry, I don't know how it affects US college applications - but I do highly encourage you to consider a semester abroad for him in a country where the language is native.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:55 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,912,451 times
Absolutely he should do it, there is only benefit in learning multiple languages, especially given your son's interest in international relations. It is easier too to learn Spanish after French, not the other way around.

My kids are at an international school and everyone is required to take a third language beginning at middle school.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:56 AM

8,071 posts, read 7,436,873 times
From what you say he has an aptitude for languages and he wants to do it, so let him.

My elder son took Latin and French his freshman and sophomore years. I took Italian my senior year while also taking Spanish. Italian was a laughingly easy A because it's so close to Spanish, and I really needed to bring up my GPA!

Old 11-13-2013, 09:09 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Yes, do this, study hall is a waste of time.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:47 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
... I have heard that the H.S. language courses are relatively easy (e.g. have heard they are an easy "A") compared to the other coursework he'll be taking....
My son coasted through high school (slacker) but had four years of straight A's in honors Spanish. He also took it in junior high. I took a semester of it in college (night class), showed him some of the material, and he couldn't understand it! In his high school, I'd say it was too easy.

My late wife spoke five languages. She could spell anything! (I always said she could proof-read the dictionary.) I think spelling was easy for her because of her command of so many languages -- that and because she was just naturally so darned smart.

I'd encourage him to go for it -- much better than study hall!

Old 11-13-2013, 09:48 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default Yea!

A child who wants to challenged.
Awesome. Great.
"Study" Hall is a complete waste of time.

By the way.
After learning French, he will see Spanish as trivial. I am serious about this. His biggest problem is is going to pronouncing "le" correctly when he is speaking.
(I took 2 years of Spanish in high school and then French much later as an adult. Many concepts transferred as they have the same root structure.)

Old 11-13-2013, 09:58 AM

83 posts, read 150,436 times
If anything, I'd say drop the French and pick up Spanish. It is much more widely spoken. But if he wants to try both - why not?

Old 11-13-2013, 09:58 AM

533 posts, read 1,112,454 times
Let him do it. I took three languages (Spanish, French, Latin) in high school because everything else besides the different art classes were boring.

The only times I overlapped language courses was when I took Latin and Spanish. The only reason why it was difficult was because I was taking a full course load at my high school, and then decided to take Latin online in addition to all of the other classes I was already taking.

I don't think it will be that difficult. I wish I would've stuck with languages in college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education