Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 07:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Spelling is not on the standardized tests therefore it's not important.
I say it tongue in cheek but it's the truth.

Teach to the test, nothing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 07:24 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Wow! I truly hope that this is more of an isolated incident because if not, then we should be hearing parents up in arms all over the place. No spelling tests?? I confess to relying on spellcheck a bit, but I would never, ever want children to not know how to spell correctly without it.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
The tools are becoming the crutches.

Calculators, spell check, computers vs paper & pencil.

Cursive is gone and block writing is horrible.
Kids don't do research in libraries anymore; it's all google now.

They can't seem to fit in 7.5 hours what I was learning in 5 hours back in the 60/70's (9-3 with 1 hour lunch)

Old 09-05-2013, 09:02 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
I teach in an elementary school. We don't have spelling lists or spelling tests, but that does not mean we don't teach spelling. We don't teach it in isolation. "Spelling" is not a grade on the progress report. We don't teach particular word patterns each week. It can be taught without a list of words on Monday and a test on Friday.

I would never say that spelling doesn't matter. I tell my students and their parents that it does matter. When we write we have to think about how to spell. We have to use our spelling strategies and think about spelling, otherwise our writing will look like this: hj firk even hurt gbh jeffie. I would also never tell a child to rely on spell check. It is a tool, a resource that can be used, but again you still have to be able to recognize which suggested word is spelled correctly.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:04 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Well, heck.
With spellcheck AND google, why bother with school at all?

Old 09-05-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Spelling is not on the standardized tests therefore it's not important.
I say it tongue in cheek but it's the truth.

Teach to the test, nothing more.
We tell our students all the time that spelling is important. I remember 15-20 years ago when teachers would actually say to students when drafting, "Don't worry about your spelling". We don't say that any more.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:07 PM

9 posts, read 15,055 times
Parents, educate yourselves and ask questions. I was willing to work with the school, but they were not willing to work with me or my son. A teacher change probably would have worked out fine. All they would have had to do was get out of my son's way while he taught himself. That's what I've always done with him. There is a gifted program, but it doesn't start until third grade. This is typical across the nation. Our elementary school is a blue ribbon school and people move to our area to go to this specific school, because its reputation is so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Wow. My oldest's elementary school principal said that very thing....back in the early 1990s. That group of kids went on to spell phonetically and once they reached middle school, they could barely write. We took our kids out of our (supposedly highly ranked) public school system after that and sent them to parochial schools.
*groan* (or should I write *grown*)!

The administrators here all fed me the same lines about how the word study method is what research shows is effective. I didn't buy it. I taught and I know better. A tiny bit of googling sent me to an author who also knew better, and it turns out that he's an expert in the field of spelling.

You are in CA - I am in the Midwest. Even back when my parents were beginning teachers, all the education fads started on the coasts and worked their way in. Ten years ago when I moved here they tried to tell me that "whole language" was an effective method for teaching reading. Now they have finally moved back to phonics.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:09 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,459,601 times
To this day, I continue to give credit to one CP English teacher that handed out a new vocabulary word each day with a little cartoon using that word in it.

The cartoons still stick in my mind and made remembering while learning that word (spelling and meaning) fun.

I ran into her son not long ago and told him how much I appreciated her. She's long since died, but I will never forget her. At a high school reunion this summer, a group of us all said she was the one teacher, while strict and tough, we feel left the most lasting impression on us all.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 09-05-2013, 09:10 PM

Whole Language was on its way out when I started teaching 21 years ago.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:15 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momzuki View Post
I am so frustrated because we moved to an area that is supposed to have great public schools. Kindergarten was great and the teacher was willing to let me son work on his level, at least enough to keep him from going crazy. This year was a different story, and I'm glad I found out at the beginning of the year. I tried to work with the school but I was totally shut down.

My biggest clue that there was a HUGE problem was when the teacher said there would not be any spelling lists or spelling tests. In first grade! Even prior to this, I suspected something might be a problem because of the poor quality of work that was coming home. Very different from last year.

I delved a little deeper into the spelling issue and the principal told me that kids didn't need to learn how to spell because they can just use spellcheck! He said spelling isn't even important enough to be on the report card in the upper grades. He also told me that public school cannot meet the needs of a gifted child, and that my son is ahead so I should not worry and everything would "even out by third grade."

The teacher, principal, assistant principal, and curriculum director all assured me that "word study" would teach conventional spelling of irregular words. Because I am a former teacher, I knew that it would not. I found an author who also was concerned about spelling not being explicitly taught, and I voiced my concerns. He wrote an article about us and our decision to homeschool:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...spelling-tests

Spelling was just the tip that led to opening the whole thing up. Reading and math were not ok, either. As I asked questions I kept getting more and more dismayed.
Word Study IS spelling. It is just a more effective approach than traditional spelling lists, which really don't work at all. I've used word study and it was definitely more effective, plus in general more educational than a random list. And it IS the explicit teaching of spelling - more explicit than the old spelling list method. If you are a former teacher and don't know about word study and what it actually is, then you are way behind the times. Most likely the principal didn't give a good explanation because he himself doesn't understand it. Most principals don't have a clue about instructional methods, but they try to pretend to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education