Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 11:25 AM

37,799 posts, read 40,996,819 times

Advertisements

"Last week, it was a couple of teenagers suspended for a year for playing with airsoft guns on the front lawn. This week, it’s a second-grader suspended for a day for using his finger as a pretend gun. Yes, eight-year-old Jordan Bennett was sent home after administrators at Harmony Community School in Harmony, Florida, concluded that the gesture was an act of violence. In March, Josh Welch, a seven-year-old (yes, seven) student at Park Elementary School in Baltimore, Maryland, was accused of nibbling a rectangular, strawberry-filled pastry into a gun-like shape, then stating “bang, bang.” School officials were sufficiently disturbed by this event to remove Josh from class and banish him from the premises for two days."

“Bang, Bang,” You’re Suspended: Second-Grader Sent Home for Carrying Invisible Gun | The Foundry: Conservative Policy News Blog from The Heritage Foundation

Five days suspension for playing with an air soft gun in your own yard.
Two days suspension for a pastry gun
One day suspension for an invisible gun.

If a kid farts do they suspend them for a gas attack on the school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 12:15 PM

809 posts, read 1,330,523 times
A friend and I were just discussing this. Her daughter is marrying a police officer. We discussed their future children discussing daddy and using the "g" word. This is just awful.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:24 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times
Those kids who were "playing in their yard" were really in the street, shooting and hitting other kids on their way to the school bus stop. Don't misrepresent, it demeans you point.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:42 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
The older boys I think were legitimately suspended as despite their protestations, they were shooting other kids who were not on their property.

OTOH, young children (and especially young boys) play with guns because they are incorporating things that confuse them or are taboo into their play. It has to do with understanding power as well.

Children Need Gun Play | Empowering Childhood

Quote:
First of all, banning all pretend weapons actually makes war play more risky. Children often have such a burning need to resolve their mixed up feelings about violence, that they will get sneaky if it is not allowed. My experience as an early years practitioner is that banning gun play is a losing battle, however much we try to re-enforce the rule! I used to hate seeing children playing with guns, but I’d much rather children play with their created guns, under direct supervision, than do it hidden.
Boys and guns: Okay to play? | BabyCenter

Old 10-05-2013, 06:24 PM

501 posts, read 932,834 times
When I was in elementary school, we were not allowed to form pretend guns with our fingers at school.

Kids should not nibble at their food to form gun shapes, hold them up, and yell bang-bang. That's wrong, and the parents should be very concerned about it.

I don't agree with the one size fits all of zero-tolerance, and not sure the punishments were appropriate, but these behaviors are wrong and something should be said about them because it's outside the realm of what kids are allowed to do at school.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:08 PM

8,055 posts, read 7,425,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
When I was in elementary school, we were not allowed to form pretend guns with our fingers at school.
Just curious, what year did you graduate?

I honestly don't know if pretend guns were allowed at school when I was a kid or not (graduated 1978). Either they were allowed, or nobody did it, because I can't remember a fuss.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:16 PM

507 posts, read 916,947 times
(Never mind, I have strong opinions on the subject that both amaze and delight my friends expectations.)

Old 10-06-2013, 04:17 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,765,142 times
Same thing here. I went to elementary school 1978 to 1985, and pretend guns with your fingers was strictly not allowed. Fake guns have a strong tendency to escalate into real fists.
You know what really is an overreaction? "a suspension involving an 'act of violence' might just doom a child’s future academic and career prospects before they really begin."
I have seen students involved in murders end up going to prestigious schools with full rides. I don't think an elementary school suspension like this is going to hurt someone's future academic and career prospects one bit.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:20 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,765,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Just curious, what year did you graduate?

I honestly don't know if pretend guns were allowed at school when I was a kid or not (graduated 1978). Either they were allowed, or nobody did it, because I can't remember a fuss.
Maybe you don't remember because when a kid got suspended, their parents considered it a silent shame and dealt with it at home, instead of immediately running to the national press and a lawyer.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:23 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,425,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Maybe you don't remember because when a kid got suspended, their parents considered it a silent shame and dealt with it at home, instead of immediately running to the national press and a lawyer.
No, I think it's more likely that if someone did it, they got after-school detention (assuming it was forbidden in the first place). We are talking about elementary school which for me was 1965 (Kindergarten) thru 1972 (6th grade) in suburban metro New Jersey.

And anyway, if a kid got suspended I would have heard about it from the kid himself or the from grapevine, not the parents!

A suspension is too drastic in this case for an 8 year old. Unless the child has previously existing psychiatric issues, I would go to the national press, too, if I were the parent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education