Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 12:14 PM

149 posts, read 203,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
It isn't toxic to the grass. It is VERY toxic to aquatic life.
how about oil from bp spill,the millions of barrels, is this nutritious to aquatic life?

if not, the chemical dispersant used by the cleanup crews(gov't), was the millions of gallons of that stuff good for aquatic life?

but these little extremists thought that they could just wash cars, disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 12:20 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strateloss View Post
so the soap is healthy to the grass?
Grass does not have a powerful lobby advocating for it.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:48 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,776,410 times
Quote:
so the soap is healthy to the grass?
When a car is washed on the grass, the soapy water filters through the soil, to the groundwater and into a stream. The soil basically acts as a filter, absorbing a lot of the phosphates in the soap and protecting the stream.
When a car is washed on pavement, the soapy water washes right into the storm drain, which goes right into the stream, unfiltered. Which means the stream receives a large pulse of high phophate soapy water. In a slow moving stream, or one full of fish, this can lead to algal blooms and possibly fish kills.
If the city has this ordinance, obviously they've had problems with water quality in the past. So they're trying to prevent as much pollution from going into the drains as possible.
The students could wash the cars on the grass, or perhaps do something else to raise money for their field trip.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:35 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Soap isn't good for streams, for the same reason it's not good for an aquarium. It dissolves the natural slime coat on the fish, making them more susceptible to diseases and parasites.Charity car washes are not allowed in San Antonio unless they're held at a commercial car-washing facility, because it wastes water and we've been in a drought for years. The kids here have found alternate means of fundraising.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:49 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I understand you feel passionately about this issue, but are you saying you don't know if there are environmentally friendly car-washing soaps? Phosphate-free laundry detergents have been on the market for decades. Has nobody thought to make a buck marketing "green" car-washing soap?
</p>As for who would monitor what kind of soap the kids use, why the adults in charge would. Somebody in the school administration has to authorize this type of activity in the first place.</p>
And who is going to take on the responsibility of fines and clean up if the kids decide to use something else?

And btw, just because something is marketed as "green" does not remotely mean it is non-toxic. He'll, the term non-toxic means nothing when it comes to waterways.

I don't know how else to explain it you than to say yet again, any degreaser aka soap, is toxic to waterways and aquatic life.

Even this "green" one

http://www.simplegreen.com/pdfs/MSDS_EN-US_CarWash.pdf

has sulphonates and cocamide dea (a suspected human carcinogen) both of which are toxic in aquatic systems.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:54 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
how about oil from bp spill,the millions of barrels, is this nutritious to aquatic life?
I have worked at the macondo wellhead. It was an environmental disaster.

But point source pollution is negligible compared to non point source. That is a fact.

Quote:
if not, the chemical dispersant used by the cleanup crews(gov't), was the millions of gallons of that stuff good for aquatic life?

but these little extremists thought that they could just wash cars, disgusting.
Again, it isn't about one particular car wash it's about the millions of cars being washed by millions of people who think their small amount of pollution is harmless because they ignore the fact that it is an issue of magnitude.

Fact: Nonpoint source pollution is the LEADING cause of pollution and degradation of water quality in this country.

Old 10-29-2013, 05:58 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,812,053 times
This is such a first world problem. LOL. If the worst thing that happens to some kids is that they have to think of another fundraiser I have the world's smallest violin to play in order to display my utter despair at their plight. Seriously, this is a small price to play for a healthier environment. Can we not tolerate even the smallest disruption to our lives anymore? Too much whining out there.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:26 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,373,634 times
And those carwashes also use up a great deal of water. I'm in agreement with not allowing them. A lot of carwash companies offer fundraising where you sell the voucher to their establishment, and you both split the money. Water is reused, toxins are reduced, and funds are raised. win/win

Old 10-31-2013, 02:36 PM

501 posts, read 933,466 times
I think this ban is stupid. Charity carwashes (having them or not) will not impact the environment. I think the government should focus their time on things more important, like crime.

I wash my car in the driveway. I do not feel bad and I do not feel I am killing the environment.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:24 PM

542 posts, read 692,204 times
I hadn't realized even the eco-soaps were damaging!

Maybe the kids could still clean windows, or vacuum cars?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education