Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2008, 11:37 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,781,783 times

Advertisements

What is the best way to learn Spanish from home. Has anybody tried the Rosetta Stone Course, THEY say one the commercials that it is the best but I want to know what you all think

Input much appreaciated

-steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 11:48 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,418,936 times
Well, you may have to seek out and try a few things. Some people (like my wife) can learn from a translation dictionary, others (like me) require a formal classroom environment and still just manage to get by.

I have used Rosetta Stone, you may or may not like it, it depends on your learning style. Of course the Rosetta comercials are going to say they are the best. But you should try it, get that and a translation book if it does not come with one and go see how you do. I personally thought it spoke to fast and got a little too complicated early on, but I was using the college one that was with my spanish class, so you may get a beginner one that starts out better.

Have you looked to see what is offered at a local college?

Old 05-31-2008, 11:48 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,752,778 times
What ever course you chose I recommend watching TV. Soaps are specially good if you know someone else that watches. They run during prime time in Univision.
Good luck

Old 05-31-2008, 04:13 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,455,012 times
I maintain that Rosetta Stone is worthless. I speak 3 Romance languages to varying degrees and tried to use it to pick up a 4th. Just not a good experience. I've heard several people claim that they are "fluent" in Spanish via Rosetta Stone only to try to have a conversation with them. The joke's on them. :P It's alright for basic vocab but not so much with the grammar.

I learn best with a good teacher and workbook. I like figuring out grammar on my own once taught basic rules, and then having an instructor to reinforce the correct grammar. I learn best through rationalizing through a language and making connections to both English and other languages that I know. Everyone learns differently though.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:42 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,541,543 times
I like the Pimsleur Language series. Before we went to China I borrowed the first set from the library and played the first three CD's over and over again. I liked the repitition and the explanations. I would strongly suggest seeing if your library has it before purchasing and see if it works for you. I also got a mandarin-english dictionary so I could see the words in writing, for whatever reason, that helped cement the words in my head. I also tried the Rosetta Stone and thought it was terrible. Probably works for a certain type of learner, but not me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education