Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 07:07 PM

204 posts, read 297,213 times

Advertisements

With so much (justified) uproar about Common CORE I'm very surprised that almost no one has mentioned the corporation which has contracted with local and state government to run education. Public Private Partnerships are nothing new, and that is what CORE is, privatization of education, quite quietly I might add.

CORE ECS is based in India, run by Indian businessmen, with the sole intention of making a profit. Page 2 of their 2011-12 annual financial report states: “CORE is India’s largest global education company with presence in US, UK, India, Singapore, Middle East, Hong Kong, Africa and the Caribbean”

They have multiple sub-corporations. They have contracts globally to run education. Their slogan is "Innovating to Transform the World".

Their annual financial report for 2011-12 (AFR's are something that all corporations publish for the benefit of their shareholders, this is linked at the bottom of this post) states on Page 1:

Quote:
The world is changing at a much faster pace today than one would have imagined a decade ago. The way innovations of yesteryears like internet and mobility transformed the world today; innovations of today would go on to transform the world tomorrow. In the words of William Wordsworth, ‘The child is father of man’. Quite rightly, the shape of future lies in the hands of today’s youth.
Page 5 states:
Quote:
Ready to create a promising future. The global agenda of the 21st century is set around economy and trade, with manufacturing shifting from the west to the east, employment landscape would immensely change at both ends. In order to sustain their economic growth, developed as well as developing economies need to intensify their human capital formation. Not surprising then, nations across the world are increasingly investing in education for continued development of their human capital, quantitatively as well as qualitatively…
Hmmm. Human capital formation? Productive capabilities of the future workforce in order to create immense value for stakeholders? They're not talking about education, right?

I hope you realize these people are referring to your children as HUMAN CAPITAL.

Just in case you don't know what that means: capital (as it applies to business) means: the wealth, whether in money or property, owned or employed in business by an individual, firm, corporation, etc.

Open your eyes, this is a corporate takeover of education, globally, with ONE goal in mind. Training ASSETS to be PRODUCTIVE and create value for STAKEHOLDERS and sustain economic growth.

And yet...silence.

Read the report yourself, it's their own words. No secrets here, they are quite open about their intentions.

2011-12 Annual Financial Report: http://www.core-edutech.com/pdf/CETL...ort2011-12.pdf

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-18-2014 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: fixed quote - link and SNIPPET please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 08:13 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,235,302 times
People have been human capital from the dawn of time when man learned to oppress and "own" others.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:15 PM

409 posts, read 512,333 times
Remember the "new math" of the seventies? It was a small part of the plan that far back (another "Agenda 21" scenario). Bill Gates stands to make billions on the required "tablets" that will be standardized material. It is not only interactive but filled with sensors that collects data (mining) from tests, essays, and even games each student will be required to take. Personal information about themselves, families, and friends will become part of a cross-file system. The "education" itself is designed to direct each student toward the life government has laid out for them. It is there. Hiding or looking the other way won't make the future better

Old 03-18-2014, 06:42 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,412,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanon13 View Post
Remember the "new math" of the seventies?
Begun in the 60s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIWaJ0sy03g

psik

Old 03-19-2014, 07:38 AM

4,868 posts, read 6,933,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
How I remember this stupidity. I lost my 7th and 8th grade years of math education having to do this crap until the school dumped it.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:09 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,235,302 times
Default Follow the money

Want to understand the how's and why's of CCSS? Follow the flow...

Common Core Simplified

Further clarification

For visual learners----

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvUMk1ro27E

Old 03-19-2014, 08:32 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Want to understand the how's and why's of CCSS? Follow the flow...

Common Core Simplified

Further clarification

For visual learners----

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvUMk1ro27E
More than a little concerning. We are testing our kids to death and paying huge bucks to do it.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:42 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
How I remember this stupidity. I lost my 7th and 8th grade years of math education having to do this crap until the school dumped it.
How exactly is teaching regrouping a problem.

You learned it by rote by crossing out and *borrowing*, but you were actually regrouping.

Just talking about what is happening should not be a big problem, especially if you use manipulatives to show it. This is a 2 digit subtraction problem, but it is the same principle.

double digit subtraction manipulatives - YouTube

I know using different bases *can* be confusing, but actually, they are exactly like base 10 and can help kids see what the numbers mean.

3 4 2 (base 8) means 3* 8^2 + 4 * 8^1 + 2 *8^0 = 3 * 64 + 4 * 8 + 2 = 192 + 16 + 2 = 210 base 10.

Multiplication tables for 12

Schoolhouse Rock- Little Twelve Toes - YouTube

Old 03-19-2014, 03:09 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,412,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
More than a little concerning. We are testing our kids to death and paying huge bucks to do it.
That looks like it, and keeping them ignorant in the process.

That is why I talk about a reading list. Have them learn regardless of what the idiots running the schools are doing.

Tablet computers provide a new way to accomplish that.

Teach Yourself Electricity and Electronics (2006) by Stan Gibilisco
teach yourself electricity and electronics

EveryCircuit by Igor Vytyaz
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ycircuit&hl=en

If I had had those in 7th grade I would not have given a damn what silly crap was happening at school.

psik

Old 03-21-2014, 08:01 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Default Common CORE

It's just NCLB with a different title. Still overly emphasizing standardized tests and micromanaging classrooms, aimed at stifling creativity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education