Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2014, 01:48 PM

16,905 posts, read 16,130,561 times

Advertisements

Nowadays they call idiots "gifted", just to fill a void in what is thought to be politically correct.
It means nothing anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 02:53 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,501,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I think the same is true of some private schools. And private schools aren't the be-all, end-all, either. The largest provider of private education in this country is the Catholic church. Only about 20% of private schools are non-sectarian. Not that the Catholic church and others don't have good schools, but IME, the Catholic and Lutheran schools are on a par with the public schools.

CAPE | Private School Facts
Depends on the catholic school. My kids attend a catholic school with ITBS score averages entirely over the 95%. That is not on par with public schools, even in our very good district. One of the reasons we send them there despite not being catholic.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:01 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
I think the same is true of some private schools. And private schools aren't the be-all, end-all, either. The largest provider of private education in this country is the Catholic church. Only about 20% of private schools are non-sectarian. Not that the Catholic church and others don't have good schools, but IME, the Catholic and Lutheran schools are on a par with the public schools.

CAPE | Private School Facts
Schools are so individual that is it nearly impossible to say that private is better or public is better.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Schools are so individual that is it nearly impossible to say that private is better or public is better.
Yes. Then why the big deal about more students at Caltech coming from private high schools? Caltech is a private school. IME, people who send their kids to private high schools often want to send them to private colleges too, so that accounts for some of the difference. The Caltech recruiters came to DH's public HS in downtown Omaha, so they must not be too biased against public schools.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:08 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Depends on the catholic school. My kids attend a catholic school with ITBS score averages entirely over the 95%. That is not on par with public schools, even in our very good district. One of the reasons we send them there despite not being catholic.
Yep. Where I used to live (and I hear it's true of where I live now) the Catholic schools are vastly better than most of the public schools.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
You are aware that Catholic and other private schools can cherry-pick their students? Some specifically say they are college prep schools. No wonder their scores on standardized tests are higher.

I thought all public schools used their own state tests these days, not the Iowa tests or the California tests? How can you make a comparison?

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 04-25-2014 at 04:27 PM..

Old 04-25-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Instead of being handed a college textbook and sent to an empty room, imagine how much you could have learned with a talented teacher and a couple dozen sharp classmates.

We are shortchanging the top students by expecting them to take their own education in hand. How does a second grader do that? Or a student who is the first one in the family headed to college, where there are no scientific journals, no books, maybe not even internet at home?
People say that they just have to learn to be bored (really, that's what you want to tell a six-year-old about school?) and to challenge themselves. Well, that isn't the point of going to school. Then they say that in junior high it will be fine because there are higher level classes. Well, by that time a number of those students have learned to hate school because of the boredom and learning nothing, so it is too late. Some families can't afford private school, too.

If just being bright or a very fast learner is different than being gifted, then there needs to be something in place for those kids, too. Why should those kids have to suffer so much just because they don't fit within a certain label? I was reading my mom's college textbooks (and understanding them) in early elementary school, but I wasn't creative. That shut me out of GATE because in my district being creative meant more than being intelligent (My sister got in purely because she's very creative, and even she admits that I should have been the one in the school.), so that meant being doomed to just sitting at my desk learning nothing all day, every day. What a great educational experience that was.

No, it isn't all about me. There are many other students who go through this, though, and it saddens me that is what people think school should be.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
You are aware that Catholic and other private schools can cherry-pick their students? Some specifically say they are college prep schools. No wonder their scores on standardized tests are higher.
They're still often much better schools than public schools.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
They're still often much better schools than public schools.
That's an unsupportable statement. Apples to oranges.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:44 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,501,383 times
Quote:

I thought all public schools used their own state tests these days, not the Iowa tests or the California tests? How can you make a comparison?
Unfortunately most catholic schools are hurting for students. Ours will take anyone and with enthusiasm. Many private and public schools throughout the us still take the ITBS test.

Eta and before you make a socio economic argument...the school my kids attend costs 5k a year, if you get a parish subsidy it's $3500. And even still 60% of the school receives financial aid. Our public district has an average annual income of around 100k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education