Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 10:01 PM

291 posts, read 506,089 times

Advertisements

I'm almost done with my bachelor's degree (2 classes away from graduating.) My original plan was to start my master's degree with a gap year in between to take a break from school. An old friend of mine recently came in contact with me about an opportunity to do a 24 months administrator-in-training program for a nursing home. The pay is about 18-20/hr, but after the two years, the pay increases significantly if I get the job as an administrator for one of their nursing homes (located throughout America.) If I do the training, I can only work on my master's part-time and I definitely will not be able to attend (if accepted) my 1st choice graduate program in another state. I've already been accepted into the master's program at home for this coming Fall but declined because I really needed a break. I feel so overwhelmed right now. I want to do everything but there's not enough time in the world to possibly do it all. I want to do my master's in Texas full time, do the training program full time-time, and still take a break, but it's just humanely impossible to juggle all of those. I'm willing to ditch my social life at this point as my career is my main priority in life right.

Need some insight/advice on what to do. School or career first? (I'm 21 if it matters at all.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 09:34 AM

38 posts, read 45,235 times
You need to work.

The way you have worded your post sounds like you are still in "student" mode, where you are accustomed to getting regular breaks. Life does not work that way, however.

I fear that you do not realize what an opportunity the administrator program is. The market for nursing homes and geriatric treatment is EXPLODING, and a chance to learn and make contacts within this industry is invaluable.

You can go to grad school ANYTIME. But the key to getting and maintaining employment is networking. Employers do not wnat to sift through hundreds of resumes. They want to hire someone who is a known quantity to them.

Take the job. Forget the "gap year." Find ways to relieve your stress and overwhelmed feelings that do not involve checking out because that will not work in the long run.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:09 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
I would go ahead and start that program. As mentioned, the graduate degree can be done at any time, but it's hard to find jobs at 21 in that pay range.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:04 AM

291 posts, read 506,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger Finger View Post
You need to work.

The way you have worded your post sounds like you are still in "student" mode, where you are accustomed to getting regular breaks. Life does not work that way, however.

I fear that you do not realize what an opportunity the administrator program is. The market for nursing homes and geriatric treatment is EXPLODING, and a chance to learn and make contacts within this industry is invaluable.

You can go to grad school ANYTIME. But the key to getting and maintaining employment is networking. Employers do not wnat to sift through hundreds of resumes. They want to hire someone who is a known quantity to them.

Take the job. Forget the "gap year." Find ways to relieve your stress and overwhelmed feelings that do not involve checking out because that will not work in the long run.
The only break I want to take is from school, not from anything else. I've been taking classes every semester (including summers) because I changed my major midway through and had to play catch up in order to graduate "on time." My desire to attend grad school is pretty strong.. I have a lot to learn and I've always wanted to pursue a degree beyond a bachelor's... but you guys are right.. an opportunity like this probably doesn't come by easy. Wish I could juggle everything

I'm at the point where there's just so many decisions to be made and I've asked my parents for their opinion but they're pretty open-minded and told me that the choice is ultimately up to me since I'm an adult now. Feels weird. Wish I could check out and forget about everything for a while. I'm really afraid of making the wrong move and messing everything up.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:51 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Prior to 2009 I would have said go to grad school. Today, however, given how tough jobs are to find and that lack of experience is what is being said by most grads as their biggest stumbling block, the job/training program is probably the better choice. If you end up hating the program/job, grad school will be there in a year. If you decide grad school isn't for you after all, the opportunity for this program/job most likely won't be.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:17 AM

412 posts, read 684,760 times
What graduate program are you looking at? The administrator program you are talking about is probably the same as the resident care director programs that are available through community colleges so it may or may not be the only chance to get into administration. Is that what you want to do career-wise? Working at a nursing home or assisted living community is not everyone's cup of tea.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:37 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,230 times
If the training program is related to your degree area and it's free (plus pays you something), then it sounds like a better plan than graduate school right now. That can wait, after all. Jobs are hard to come by.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:00 AM

56 posts, read 310,433 times
I would suggest taking the admin-in-training program and hold off on grad school for now.

I was very much like you at 21. I went from graduating Top 10 in my high school and going right into a molecular biology program at a good state university. I worked my butt off at college, taking classes every summer, but by the time I graduated I was BURNT OUT on school. I got accepted at a medical school in a nearby state, but told them I wanted to volunteer and travel to Africa and Philippines with the Peace Corps for a year before I matriculated. They agreed, and it was the best decision I ever made.

Being out in the "real world" will pay huge dividends. Not only will you have a steady paycheck (not easy in today's economic climate), but you will gain many insights into what your future career path will be. Once you are resolved to still go to grad school at the end of the 2 year program, then you will be that much more focused on your studies.

I meet a lot of disgruntled grad students who just look really burned out on continuous schooling since they were 5 years old. You need a break from that --- recharge the mind and soul.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:11 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
The best student can always find a job. It is very true, unless your major is totally unmarketable.
So if you are a good student, it does not hurt if you spend more years on education.

However, it looks like you are not quite an academic type so leaving school early may be good for you.

2/3 of my college classmates went to graduate school, and they definitely have better careers than the other 1/3 now, except for 1 or 2.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:13 AM

4,038 posts, read 4,864,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloopers View Post
I'm almost done with my bachelor's degree (2 classes away from graduating.) My original plan was to start my master's degree with a gap year in between to take a break from school. An old friend of mine recently came in contact with me about an opportunity to do a 24 months administrator-in-training program for a nursing home. The pay is about 18-20/hr, but after the two years, the pay increases significantly if I get the job as an administrator for one of their nursing homes (located throughout America.) If I do the training, I can only work on my master's part-time and I definitely will not be able to attend (if accepted) my 1st choice graduate program in another state. I've already been accepted into the master's program at home for this coming Fall but declined because I really needed a break. I feel so overwhelmed right now. I want to do everything but there's not enough time in the world to possibly do it all. I want to do my master's in Texas full time, do the training program full time-time, and still take a break, but it's just humanely impossible to juggle all of those. I'm willing to ditch my social life at this point as my career is my main priority in life right.

Need some insight/advice on what to do. School or career first? (I'm 21 if it matters at all.)
What's your degree in? Is this nursing home gig relevant to your degree and your career goals? What would you do on your break, if not this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education