Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 09:20 AM

662 posts, read 1,050,010 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm trying to teach myself Calculus, just in case I need it for the future (grad school). Now I took it in high school, but only passed with a C and it's been a few years.

My biggest problem is that I don't "get" Calculus, like exactly what I'm doing. I know it's the study of change over time, but my foundations are really cracked. Does anyone know of any good books or free online courses that really help complete novices? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 10:35 AM

2,286 posts, read 2,010,512 times
The best book is Early Transcendentals by James Stewart, hands down. Read the sections slowly and do as many problems as it takes for you to get it.

If you need something free, go here: Pauls Online Notes : Calculus I

He also has notes on Calculus II and III.

By need it, do you mean need to know it, or need to show you've learned it? If the latter, you may need to take a course somewhere.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:41 AM

662 posts, read 1,050,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
The best book is Early Transcendentals by James Stewart, hands down. Read the sections slowly and do as many problems as it takes for you to get it.

If you need something free, go here: Pauls Online Notes : Calculus I

He also has notes on Calculus II and III.

By need it, do you mean need to know it, or need to show you've learned it? If the latter, you may need to take a course somewhere.
Naw, the former. Thanks. I wanted to be ahead of the game in case I decide to pursue engineering of some sort in the future. To me it will be easier going in knowing what's up than later having trouble and having to drop the course. I'll definitely check that book out.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:38 PM

315 posts, read 564,381 times
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...b+bob+calculus

This guy saved my life for College math. I don't have any book recommendations BUT he is very good.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:14 PM

415 posts, read 561,146 times
Also, check out Khan Academy.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:26 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,603,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbyBobble View Post
My biggest problem is that I don't "get" Calculus, like exactly what I'm doing.
I think that is a problem with mathematics teaching in general. If I give you the formulas for the Area and Circumference of a circle A=PI*r^2 and C=2*PI*r followed by the formulas for the Volume and Surface Area of a sphere V=4/3*PI*r^3 and SA=4*PI*r^2 it should be immediately obvious that

dA/dr=C and dV/dr=SA . Furthermore the reason for this relationship should be clear.

Old 05-26-2014, 02:59 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,005,206 times
I remember studying for a Calculus II quiz in college. I was in the library and got bored, so I started flipping through my book. On the first page, there was a quote. It said "the only way to get better at math is to DO math."

The kids that struggled in my class were constantly looking for a way to absorb the information without doing too much work. Those that succeeded were either naturally gifted in math or worked like crazy solving problems. Just keep working through problems and find some study aids. Good Luck!

Old 05-26-2014, 03:18 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,010,512 times
Yes, I've TAed over a dozen calculus classes over the years. People put in some effort the first couple weeks, then stop doing problems. This is worse when the online homework is optional or only a tiny portion of their grade. They think they can just ace the exams and get an easy A, especially the kids who took AP Calculus in high school. Once they get past the product rule, they know absolutely nothing. Most of them do no problems throughout the semester and bomb the exams. A select few put in consistent work and ace the class.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:34 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,005,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Yes, I've TAed over a dozen calculus classes over the years. People put in some effort the first couple weeks, then stop doing problems. This is worse when the online homework is optional or only a tiny portion of their grade. They think they can just ace the exams and get an easy A, especially the kids who took AP Calculus in high school. Once they get past the product rule, they know absolutely nothing. Most of them do no problems throughout the semester and bomb the exams. A select few put in consistent work and ace the class.
I really helps when quizzes/homework count for a decent proportion of the overall grade (say 10-15%-ish). It encourages students to study more, which in turn helps out tremendously on exams.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:36 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,955,326 times
Honestly, the best way to gain a better understanding of calculus is by brushing up on your algebra and trig skills.

Getting a C in calculus shows that you had an idea of the Calculus but your skills in the algebra behind the Calculus was lacking. I'd work on your skills in manipulating expressions and trig identities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education