Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 11:55 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
My pre-rotavirus vaccine 100% breastfed baby's experience was quite different.
What year are you talking about? Can you posts stats to back up what you say?

Old 06-23-2014, 11:57 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
The line for my freedom ends where it negatively impacts some random person's health.

My exercise doesn't impact you. Whether or not my children are breastfed doesn't impact any other child's health.

Smoking is already banned in many places, because the smoke causes health problems for people who have chosen not to smoke. Just as choosing to be unvaccinated has a potential to impact the kids who can't be vaccinated.
Depends on how you look at it. Your lack of exercise, or breastfeeding can impact the time my doctor spends on you and not on me, we do have a shortage you know,not to mention the amount my insurance spends on you because you are not as healthy as me. They charge me more, which I may not be able to afford because of you and that does effect my health. Your child could grow up and marry mine, that might effect my future grandchilds health.

I don't need to mention if you are poor and on welfare how much that impacts me.
And quite frankly you affect the herd! You get ill more than me, that will help spread illnesses we have no vaccines for. It's the herd mentality. Same as vaccination. Everyone should participate in our countries health.

In Arizona if you are fat you have to scale down or get off welfare, or get a fine for being fat. That should appeal to you. No fatties on welfare! What's next? I sure hope we get public option for health care with all this.

Plus, as others have mentioned on here regarding vaccines, should I allow you to kill or harm your child. You don't own it.

It's all ridiculous, but yet people are fighting for these kinds of controls everyday. It's endless.

Last edited by PoppySead; 06-23-2014 at 12:19 PM..

Old 06-23-2014, 12:04 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
What year are you talking about? Can you posts stats to back up what you say?
According to the CDC Pink Book, pre-vaccine the disease was responsible for (per year, in the USA) 400,000 doctor visits; 200,000 ER visits; 55,000-70,000 hospitalizations; and 20-60 deaths. My oldest child was the one who had rotavirus in 2006... the vaccine was added to the schedule in 2007.

Last edited by Ginge McFantaPants; 06-23-2014 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-23-2014, 12:05 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Children are not property of the government, and parents should not be forced to put anything into their children by the government. Also, at least in my state we have the right to an education. We aren't guaranteed the right to an education if we do certain things, so legally the government should not be able to exclude children for that purpose.

Now, I'm not some anti-vaxer. However, we will not be giving our children vaccines which are derived from aborted fetal cells. Most vaccines do have an alternative form, but I believe there is one that does not. Some states wouldn't let us claim a religious exemption because our church doesn't flat out say they're wrong. The Church says that it's up to each parent to decide on whether to use those vaccines.

You stole the words right off my keyboard!

Old 06-23-2014, 12:12 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,606,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
What you are saying is that a religious exemption is equal to a "personal exemption". I don't buy that. In order to grant a religious exemption, I would require some longstanding proof of the beliefs and that they weren't just manufactured for the purpose of avoiding immunization.

For example, if someone could proof they had a been a Christian Scientist for months before the immunization that would be satisfactory.
So, you'd police religious people?

See, this is where it gets sticky with mandating.

It's not up to what we like, or our opinions on when and where people founded their beliefs in a God. That is personal, and you'll have a heck of a time with this one.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
According to the CDC Pink Book, pre-vaccine the disease was responsible for (per year, in the USA) 400,000 doctor visits; 200,000 ER visits; 55,000-70,000 hospitalizations; and 20-60 deaths. My oldest child was the one who had rotavirus in 2006... the vaccine was added to the schedule in 2007.

Sorry, I misunderstood your original post. I thought you were talking about breastfed babies in the general sense, not your own. So your daughter ended up in the hospital I take it?

Old 06-23-2014, 12:20 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,238,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well I guess if people don't like that the public school allows students without vaccines they can always just enroll their kids in private schools that do require vaccines.
I think it should be the opposite. Those people who agree to the social contract should benefit from it. Public school is for children who are immunized, according to the agreement whereby the provider sets the rules. People who do not want to abide by the contract should provide their own services.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:22 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,238,175 times
Quote:
There is evidence that breastfeeding strengthens the immune system so the baby will be protected during one of the most risky times in their life prior to their immune system to becoming fully formed if mom breastfeeds for a couple of years or more.

Not sure what you mean by your "not from the CDC so should be acceptable" comment. It sounds like a personal dig.
The irony is that if the mother is unvaccinated, she has no immunity to pass on to her child through her breastmilk. She will only have immunity to the diseases that she contracted.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
The irony is that if the mother is unvaccinated, she has no immunity to pass on to her child through her breastmilk. She will only have immunity to the diseases that she contracted.
Or the disease she had herself.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:24 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
Luckily, his ER did not necessitate his being admitted; we caught it quick enough that the dehydration was mild. I do have to chuckle a little at the idea of diaper checks with rota. because the diarrhea was so loose that it was fruitless to even put a diaper on him.
Quote:
Sorry, I misunderstood your original post. I thought you were talking about breastfed babies in the general sense, not your own. So your daughter ended up in the hospital I take it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education