Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2014, 09:20 PM

948 posts, read 921,499 times

Advertisements

Does anybody have any experience or knowledge of elementary school IB programs?

It seems like it might be good for stimulating critical thinking skills in children, and deeper understanding of the material they cover. Is this true?

Do kids involved in these programs do better in high school, and increase their chances of getting into college? Or do they do worse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 06:20 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
It probably depends on the student and the particular school. Both my grandchildren went to an IB school for kindergarten through 4th grade and I love the program, but neither is old enough for college admissions at this point and both have special needs.

I do think the program encourages deeper understanding - I see the vocabulary the 4th grader is bringing home and it is quite challenging. The discussions of the material are pretty in depth, but my 4th grader doesn't quite *get it.* He has autism and is too literal minded for much of it.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:45 PM

Interesting what you said about autism. Asperger's runs strongly in my family, and we all tend to think very literally and logically. Do you think these IB programs might not favor literal thinkers?

Old 10-26-2014, 07:07 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
Interesting what you said about autism. Asperger's runs strongly in my family, and we all tend to think very literally and logically. Do you think these IB programs might not favor literal thinkers?
They seem to favor kids who *get* metaphors, allegory and other non-literal things, imo. My granddaughter is very bright and has asperger's and still has to ask about figures of speech. She just asked me today what "under the weather" meant. She needs explicit teaching about these things which is not done in general in many programs.

She did ok in the IB programme, but is doing better in jr high where they don't have it.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:29 PM

Very interesting, and helpful information.

I'm raising my daughter in Japan, bilingually and bi-culturally. She could have trouble with things like metaphors and allegory, simply because of the fact that she's bilingual.

I haven't had her tested for Asperger's though. She doesn't have a problem with eye contact, and likes being around other people. But I sometimes worry that she doesn't seem to fit in with kids her own age. I suspect that might be due to the fact that she's half-American, though, so it might just be a cultural difference. But whether it's bi-cultural or Asperger's, she might have the same problems as your daughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education