Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 01:58 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorInSpirit View Post
I reckon that would make sense that was the presupposition.
Somehow though, I doubt it is actually the case.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:21 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
I would be amazed if a large number drop out because evolution is taught as fact, which it is.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:22 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorInSpirit View Post
I am amazed how some teenage girls can still go to school in spite of their pregnancy, but yes, that can be a factor for some if not most teenage girls. Hopefully, they will have the support they need to study for their G.E.D.

Why would that amaze you?

Old 12-21-2014, 02:54 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,034,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Have you any understanding of science? Evolution is both a fact and a theory, but a theory in science is NOT a guess or hypothesis, but a well-supported explanation for scientific observations. Theories don't ever turn into laws because laws are descriptions while theories are explanations. The fact of evolution is the changes that have been observed (genetic change over generations). The theory of evolution is that natural selection is the best explanation for the fact that change occurs.

Evolution is Not Just a Theory: home

Evolution Resources from the National Academies

Honestly, humans don't evolve *ourselves.* That's a silly idea. We may actually be able to genetically modify ourselves, but that would not be evolution. Note that humans can selectively breed many animals and plants and already do that. That is an example of artificial selection, not evolution. In humans, this is called eugenics and is commonly frowned upon given the experiments that were used by the German third Reich.
Thank you. Citing the example of' teaching evolution as fact' as the cause of somebody dropping out of HS pretty much negates any chance of taking the OP seriously.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:56 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Actually I'm one of those who thinks that the dropout rate is a non-issue. But of course, anything that you take time to measure and quantify eventually becomes a big deal for politicians. I know two people who technically dropped out of school. One had to work in the parental business and the other one was a bright kid stuck in a failing school full of thugs.

They both left to go to college, and have multiple advance degrees between them. Of course I'm sure there are people who drop out for other reasons and are not successful. IMO if you are not cut out for high school, and find something else to do ie a job or higher education or even your eventual life of crime then OK.

Keep the ones there who want to learn and are capable of learning what is taught. With fewer students, maybe the schools will do a better job. It seems to be the bluster about the "dropout rate" is a way to try to keep tax dollars based on enrollment.
Hello, Rapunzel. Interesting to see you here.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:28 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
In all the actual discussions I've heard with dropouts, including my own conversations working with kids, the most common reason is that they see high school as irrelevant to their current lives or what they see as their likely futures.

Thing is, they were pretty much right.

One big factor is that only about 30% of Americans ever get bachelor's degrees, yet most high schools only offer college prep curriculae. Many kids have already determined they don't want a job requiring college and many aren't ready for a college prep curriculum--so a high school offering the only a college prep curriculum appear to be a waste of their time.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:49 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
4. Logical choice...................... for SOME people 12 years of schooling, for one reason or another, just does not make sense and is a total waste of time!!!

Old 12-21-2014, 09:59 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm thinking pregnancy should be in the Top 3.
Ahh, that lifetime movie where a group of women raise funds to pay for a daycare program so that teenage mothers can finish high school. One woman suggest just giving them contraceptives, whereas the women say they can't do this since it encourages the girls to have sex

Old 12-22-2014, 02:13 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,279,468 times
I think the real reason is "lack of hope" and "becoming inured."

But these things are difficult to measure and the 3 stated points probably lead to the above mindset.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:28 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I think the real reason is "lack of hope" and "becoming inured."
Those are social work matters; not educational.
The underlying academic inadequacy...

Quote:
But these things are difficult to measure and the 3 stated points probably lead to the above mindset.
I'd suggest that the tree reasons cited will exacerbate or maybe trigger
but they, like your social work matters, are symptoms. Not causes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education