Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2015, 05:47 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times

Advertisements

This is important training but some teachers will not be able to handle the situation. I an't even imagine what it is like in military base schools today.

Grief In The Classroom: 'Saying Nothing Says A Lot' : NPR Ed : NPR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 06:23 AM

30,527 posts, read 16,222,191 times
not just loss by death-what about kids who have a parent in prison? I can't imagine what it'd be like to know your mom or dad has been found guilty.

I remember when I was in 5th grade, there was a boy with leukemia. Pretty much a death sentence back then. Nobody talked to him because nobody knew what to say. Me too.

I still think about him sometimes. Wonder if he was one of the few who beat it back then.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:59 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
This is important training but some teachers will not be able to handle the situation. I an't even imagine what it is like in military base schools today.

Grief In The Classroom: 'Saying Nothing Says A Lot' : NPR Ed : NPR
Been there, done that. Far too often. Added to the nightmare, when this happens at the actual base school you know the child will also probably be moving very soon. The loss these kids experience is unbelievable, pretty much everything about their world is completely changed. Many just don't return to school except to say goodbye or if they do, it is so the surviving parent has someplace to watch them while they are taking care of things.

Having a student with a seriously injured parent is not a lot better but they probably aren't moving. The goal becomes just trying to get them through it - screw the academics. They are going to have high absenteeism, they are going to have days that the least little thing will set them off either in a crying fit or an anger fit, they are not going to do all their work, they are going to have times when they are staring off into space. The teacher needs to understand and among other things, choose very carefully whether to involve the parent or not. Not all teachers handle this the way they should and some forget they are dealing with very fragile children.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:23 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
I was called out of my college class in my junior year and told in the hall my father died suddenly at age 57. I remember screaming at the top of my lungs in that long deserted hallway and all of a sudden every door flew open with crowds all around me.

A few days later I went back to withdraw. It seemed like the only thing to do but one professor called me into his office to chat. He asked good questions and gently persuaded me to take as much time as I needed and he and the others would accommodate my unusual circumstances. He pointed out that once i dropped out I would have a hard time picking it back up again. I knew he was right because I had dropped out when I was 20 and it took a miracle for me to come back at age 26. I did pick it back up and not only got my BS but I went on to get my MBA. I'm eternally grateful to that man who changed the course of my life.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:30 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I just spent one of my husband's billets working at a school on a military base. There are SO MANY things, not just this, that come up with military kids that require counseling intervention. It's a totally different ballgame than working with civilian kids/families, which I did years beforehand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education