Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2015, 08:26 PM

919 posts, read 1,689,808 times

Advertisements

As many of you probably know, I'm an education major and this past semester I took a writing in the disciplines course and we read a lot about the concept of multiple Englishes with specific attention to dialects and whether or not student's "home language" (dialect wise- not like spanish) has a place in the classroom.

What do you guys think? And just as a starting point, I'll leave this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDQY04nNvMo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 09:20 PM

8,055 posts, read 7,419,522 times
I would say "no", generally speaking.

I am a white guy who was brought up in a working class home in New Jersey. Code-switching is easy and everyone does it. Teaching proper grammar did not make me feel like my playground slang was invalidated. It's slang after all.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:28 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I would say "no", generally speaking.

I am a white guy who was brought up in a working class home in New Jersey. Code-switching is easy and everyone does it. Teaching proper grammar did not make me feel like my playground slang was invalidated. It's slang after all.
Agree.

The purpose of school is to teach. Grammar-wise, the purpose of school is to teach proper grammar. The kids don't need to go to school to learn slang since they already know it (and will learn it on the playground if they don't).

To the OP: It depends on what you mean by "has a place in the classroom". If a kid can answer a question and only express himself in dialect, I would hope that the teacher would say something like "You are correct about the question I asked, but the proper way to express that would be X, Y, Z." Kids shouldn't be discouraged from answering if they don't speak proper grammar, but they should be encouraged to learn how to speak proper grammar because that will make them more well-educated and give them an advantage in life.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:12 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,511,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
As many of you probably know, I'm an education major and this past semester I took a writing in the disciplines course and we read a lot about the concept of multiple Englishes with specific attention to dialects and whether or not student's "home language" (dialect wise- not like spanish) has a place in the classroom.

What do you guys think?
Removed the video for people that are reading this on their phone.

I think you may be using teacher dialect with your subject title - code switching and code meshing? I thought the thread was going to be about computer programming!

I think it's important for students, whether they speak a different language or dialect, lean how to speak grammatically correct English. Just as we expect students from other countries to learn English so they can communicate, students that are brought up with an urban dialect should also learn the same thing. It would be doing them a disservice not to teach them that, wouldn't it?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education