Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 06:48 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times

Advertisements

I learned fractions, percentages and ratios in 5th grade, as part of arithmetic. It was taught very simply. Almost no one in the class had undue difficulty. However, that was in 1957. I started simple algebra (and Latin) in the 7th grade, as part of an "enriched curriculum" for brighter students.

Today, I have been hearing of this "Common Core" method of teaching math, which seems to be even worse than the "New Math" that I mercifully escaped. In my day, we memorized multiplication tables in the 3rd grade (and I foevermore remembered them). There were no calculators - not yet invented.

As an adult, I have zero problems figuring out arithmetic, algebraic, or geometric problems. I can usually do it in my head. My grandchildren were having problems with it...until I found a stick on the beach and drew lines and pictures in the sand for them. They could not believe that's all there was to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 08:42 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,412,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
I am an engineer and have always hated what colleges and schools consider applied mathematics. I got into an argument with a professor one day when we were doing ideal gas law conversions because he always loves these long complicated formulas with the units. I said to him "It's plug and chug, there is no need for all this algebra." So he says to me okay, what if your units are different? I said, "I would make sure they all worked out before I started (in this case it was pascals and atmospheres.) Plus, you must have a conversion factor anyway during the problem so why not get all of that out of the way before you start?" Then the professor said. "This is the way they want us to teach it, they want to drill the concepts into your head."

This to me is the problem with math education in this country. We don't teach the easy way first. We have specific rigid operations that we attempt to force a practical application into.
I agree with you. But I think this is a European cultural issue.

It goes back to the Greeks making a big deal about math before they knew any physics.

So we have pseudo-intellectual bullsh!t in our educational institutions making things more complicated than necessary. It is about the teacher's egos and kicking students out who can't put up with the crap.

psik

Old 04-04-2015, 08:46 AM

80 posts, read 162,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
It's part of the mental development process.

In my work I use high-level math on a regular basis. If I had been restricted by someone who decided I didn't need any more math than what I had learned by the seventh grade, I'd probably be cutting lawns, flipping burgers, or washing dishes.
But maybe you would've naturally gravitated to another line of work, one which didn't require high-level math. Implying that not being good at that kind of math will invariably lead to "low-end" jobs is problematic. I know plenty of people who are really bad at math and have very high-paying jobs.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:39 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,557,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Today, I have been hearing of this "Common Core" method of teaching math, which seems to be even worse than the "New Math" that I mercifully escaped. In my day, we memorized multiplication tables in the 3rd grade (and I foevermore remembered them). There were no calculators - not yet invented.
Not to start a fight, or veer off topic, but Common Core is not a method, it is a set of standards, And in 5th grade, some of the standards are:

Multiply multi-digit whole numbers
Divide 4 digit by 2 digit
Multiply and divide decimals
Multiply and divide fractions and whole numbers

Multiplication (1x1 digit) still begins in second grade (mastered in 3rd), and division begins in 3rd (mastered 4th). I'm a 5th grade teacher, not in a CC state, but our standards are pretty much the same, and have been toughening over time.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:46 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
Why. Because there are curious people in the world who need to solve mundane algebra problems for which chug and plug is much too time consuming and, besides, often requires a fundamental knowledge of algebra in the first place to set up the problem.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:30 AM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,082,151 times
Algebra is extremely important. I would say Algebra and geometry are extremely important to learn because in my field (construction trades), you need both to figure out what dimensions you will use to say, frame a base frame of a house or to set cast iron pipe. To get into a university here in CA (CSU system), you need minimum Algebra II to be considered as a potential applicant. If your kid is struggling, don't hesistate to get tutoring for him/her. Your kid will need Algebra if he/she will ever want to get a middle class paying job.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:42 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,554,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez765 View Post
Algebra is extremely important. I would say Algebra and geometry are extremely important to learn because in my field (construction trades), you need both to figure out what dimensions you will use to say, frame a base frame of a house or to set cast iron pipe. To get into a university here in CA (CSU system), you need minimum Algebra II to be considered as a potential applicant. If your kid is struggling, don't hesistate to get tutoring for him/her. Your kid will need Algebra if he/she will ever want to get a middle class paying job.
Interestingly enough I didn't start to get a better grasp of Algebra until I started working in the trades. That is applied algebra.

I agree, how we teach math (and most things) is dumb and backwards.

Old 04-04-2015, 03:46 PM

436 posts, read 421,175 times
I hate to admit it, but for the life of me, I got stuck at algebra and never went beyond it. I think we started in 6th grade with pre-algebra. Before then, I was perfectly good at math, but that year, I had a bad teacher and a case of laziness, and didn't bother learning it then. I switched schools around a few times, so no one really noticed that I was missing much math. I excelled in pretty much every other topic (minus chemistry), and graduated with honors. Same thing in college - I tried my best at that point, and barely squeaked a passing grade in algebra. (Honestly, the teacher saw how much I was struggling, and basically hinted that he'd pass me because it was a requirement.) Again, in everything else, I was just fine, graduated with honors, went to grad school, etc. I'm the one who does the budgeting in our home because I'm better at math than my husband (go figure) - BUT, it's all "real life math" that I can do.

A few months ago, I revisited algebra by way of some free online courses, and I found that with a better teacher / other study methods, I actually grasped a lot of concepts that had eluded me for years. I think one day when I have free time on my hands, I might go back and revisit the topic for the fun of it, but honestly, I don't really feel like it's a huge "need". I do get basic algebraic concepts, I'm not totally dense, but those have been enough for me thus far in life.

Old 04-04-2015, 04:39 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
........A couple of weeks we were talking about the dangers of tailgating reaction time and distance traveled at 80 vs 65. And a smart guy I know says yeah you travel like 200 more feet between braking at 80 and braking at 60. I said well I agree with the sentiment but the math is wrong." he said no at 80 your traveling like 200 feet a second. I said I think it's more like 120 ft/sec. Then he mumbles some numbers and starts jotting down a algebraic formula and then looks at it confused, erases it and then tries again. I pull out my phone and type and say at the same time 5280x80/60/60= and 117.33 comes up...................
Say, you didn't do that while you were driving, did you?..

Old 04-04-2015, 04:44 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
The economic world runs on the point slope formula. If you don't cover your fixed costs you go broke. Algebra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education