Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 05:10 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,725,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
This really only benefits the the smart kids or people who can already afford private schools.
And the for-profit 'educational' warehouses that are sure to open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 05:25 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,399,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
We already have those in some parts of Texas, they are called charter schools. They aren't a big draw, and most aren't highly rated.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:53 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,679,519 times
Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. When there is government money to be had, the feeding frenzy starts.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:01 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,817,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Nah. They will either charge more to compensate or become more restrictive in admissions. This really only benefits the the smart kids or people who can already afford private schools.
Yup. The "best" privates are selective. They take bright kids who are well behaved and whose parents are deemed suitable.

This will work out best for the charters owned by private companies or large foundations. Even better if those same charters are allowed to pick and choose like privates, which they are not allowed to do most places.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:02 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,498,185 times
Quote:
Yes, this will happen.

But something else will happen: parental choice. Any school that becomes a "warehouse" will be competing with other private schools, as well as the public schools. Let the free market choose. In no time at all, everyone will know who provides the best, and which places are filled with greedy hacks. I'm all for this!

Old 06-04-2015, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Yup. The "best" privates are selective. They take bright kids who are well behaved and whose parents are deemed suitable.

This will work out best for the charters owned by private companies or large foundations. Even better if those same charters are allowed to pick and choose like privates, which they are not allowed to do most places.
Charters are allowed to pick and choose.

But to make another point, with government money comes government strings. If I were running a private school, I would not want to take public money.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:08 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,817,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Charters are allowed to pick and choose.

But to make another point, with government money comes government strings. If I were running a private school, I would not want to take public money.
No, they are not allowed that everywhere.

In some states charters have to put everyone who applies into a lottery for slots and they have to accept anyone who wins the lottery.

Now one can argue that they can do some filtering just by how they recruit and how difficult they make the application process, but that is not the same as getting to pick and choose a class.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
No, they are not allowed that everywhere.

In some states charters have to put everyone who applies into a lottery for slots and they have to accept anyone who wins the lottery.

Now one can argue that they can do some filtering just by how they recruit and how difficult they make the application process, but that is not the same as getting to pick and choose a class.
I have the ability to exclude far more than the other - which I have never seen. Not that it doesn't exist, but I haven't seen it. Parents who don't look for something better for their children is one way they do it passively.

Additionally, the can kick kids out more readily that regular public schools.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:51 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,816,792 times
Wonder what happens at Gorman? (Those not Nevadan Gorman is the large Catholic High School in Las Vegas.)

They simply have to move their kids to a public school for the 8th grade. The 100 days in public school is actually a pretty devilish number...it is more than a semester. But it also saves the parent over $20,000 in the next four years.

I wonder if Gorman will work the system? They could certainly help a lot of their parents by dispatching a limited set of students to the public schools for a hundred days...

Another devilish difficulty though. In a democratic sweep in 2016 this all goes away...and how do we resolve the resulting disaster.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:28 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,703,322 times
This will cause those ineffective schools that will not change to become assisted living contuse for the elderly. It will be a huge benefit to small private schools that have struggled mightily to provide fine educations to serious students. In a few situations it will provide cash to low quality schools that will turn themselves into profit centers. It is indeed a huge change and long overdue. Nevada will have a huge amount of scrutiny in coming years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education