Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2015, 02:28 PM

101 posts, read 415,696 times

Advertisements

Hello teachers!

I wanted to see what some former teachers are doing now, and current if you are considering a career change.
  1. What is your new career or what would you like to do?
  2. Are you happier now and why?
  3. Are you glad you made the decision to stop teaching?
  4. What made you decide to stop teaching?
  5. Do you sub? If so, how often?
I'm currently on a leave of absence for childcare and contemplating other careers. I have my ECE/ELEM license and can teach CTE (basically Home Ec) in MS and HS. I don't sub. I am considering doing childcare when we finally move.

I just wanted to see what my former teachers are doing now and how they feel about it.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 02:34 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_my_travels View Post
Hello teachers!

I wanted to see what some former teachers are doing now, and current if you are considering a career change.
  1. What is your new career or what would you like to do?
  2. Are you happier now and why?
  3. Are you glad you made the decision to stop teaching?
  4. What made you decide to stop teaching?
  5. Do you sub? If so, how often?
I'm currently on a leave of absence for childcare and contemplating other careers. I have my ECE/ELEM license and can teach CTE (basically Home Ec) in MS and HS. I don't sub. I am considering doing childcare when we finally move.

I just wanted to see what my former teachers are doing now and how they feel about it.

Thank you!
In addition to teaching, I've been a nonprofit youth program director who ran inner city tutoring and mentoring programs, I've been a print journalist, I've been a paralegal. I went back to teaching for a while, and then left to pursue a master's in counseling psych. I also traveled a bit with my spouse, who is military, and picked up a shorter term gig doing early childhood, which was new for me, but enjoyable.

My current goal is to work as a therapist with a special focus on the population I've always most enjoyed working with, in the classroom and elsewhere - adolescents with special needs and emotional and behavioral disturbance.

I'm happier out of the classroom because there was so much that had entered into the field of teaching that it was no longer primarily about educating, and I found that demoralizing and frustrating and thankless.

My decision was made when I got the opportunity to start a master's program.

I don't sub. I don't have any desire to sub. I'm very pleased with the route I'm going. The current state the educational system has made it into something of which I no longer feel satisfied being a part.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:46 PM

22,572 posts, read 47,641,955 times
All the teachers I know... and there are plenty... retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_my_travels View Post
  • What is your new career or what would you like to do?
  • Are you happier now and why?
  • Are you glad you made the decision to stop teaching?
  • What made you decide to stop teaching?
  • Do you sub? If so, how often?
No new careers... unless you consider grandparenthood!
They are all happier, because they are not working.
They are all glad they stopped.
Various reasons for stopping, ranging from age to buyouts.
None sub.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:12 PM

45,344 posts, read 60,534,984 times
I just officially retired July 1 (had burned up sick leave most of last year).

Still involved in local government, still teach Hunter and Firearms Safety for DNR. Have been appointed to a couple County/State boards/commissions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education