Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 05:00 PM

17,622 posts, read 17,674,997 times

Advertisements

Student suspended after carrying classmate to nurse

A teacher had a student suffering a severe asthma attack in class and "emailed" the school nurse. While awaiting a response from the nurse, the student fell to the floor gasping for air. Her fellow student angrily jumped up and carried the girl to the nurse's office. For this, the student was suspended for leaving the classroom. What the heck is wrong with these teachers and principals that they would punish a student for saving a fellow student's life?!?! If either of these students were my son or daughter is be in jail for what I'd do to this teacher and principal. How can a caring human sit there and wait for an email while a student is gasping for air?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 06:03 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,568 times
There are a million things wrong with that scenario, and probably the least of them was the student's suspension. What kind of idiots have a policy for using email in a medical emergency? Have they not heard of phones? And was the teacher really going to sit there and watch that student die instead of calling 911 or doing something besides wait for EMAIL?? Why didn't she have the student's inhaler in her desk? The whole thing is sad and stupid, at least if the story is true as told, and it sounds like the student who got suspended is better off out of there anyway.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:31 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
And these are the people teaching kids how to "think critically" ?

Old 01-22-2016, 03:48 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
You guys will flame me but I'll put out the why, and y'all only have yourselves to blame by electing school board members and legislators who adopt these regulations.

I was going to wait until the end to say the following but I know a lot of you won't get to there so I'll say it now. I in no way condone what happened and would, were I a teacher in the school, likely raise hell if I saw this unfold. But I'm telling you how it is in many places and have my Administrator hat on.

The teacher followed the policy set out for classroom health emergencies, send an email to the Nurse and awaited a response. As my former Principal would have said, "That's a non-negotiable, these policies are in place for a reason". Had she instigated what happened, the kid taking the sick kid to the Health Room, she would have been disciplined and there would have been no news story.

The student was nailed for loitering (being in the hallway during class time without a pass) and insubordination. Another "non-negotiable".

School boards and state legislators have taken discretion away from teachers and administrators, as someone mentioned because of fear of lawsuits, and situations like this are the result.

I can picture a couple Principals I had doing the exact same thing this one did in suspending the student.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:15 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
I think the big issue is the policy in the 1st place. Send a Email to the Nurse and wait?

This case it was 3 minutes between Email and the Student taking the other student out to the Nurse.

If the Nurse is engaged or busy with other Students, Meetings etc, It could be 10 20? minutes, A hour before she checks her Email again.

How does the teacher know the nurse PC is not broken? A problem on the Email Server?

This should be (Red Button) Internal 911 inside the school, That will get The Office Staff, Admin, SRO ... Running to the Room,

Old 01-22-2016, 07:56 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I think the big issue is the policy in the 1st place. Send a Email to the Nurse and wait?

This case it was 3 minutes between Email and the Student taking the other student out to the Nurse.

If the Nurse is engaged or busy with other Students, Meetings etc, It could be 10 20? minutes, A hour before she checks her Email again.

How does the teacher know the nurse PC is not broken? A problem on the Email Server?

This should be (Red Button) Internal 911 inside the school, That will get The Office Staff, Admin, SRO ... Running to the Room,
Or we could just let the student carry the non-dangerous, non-narcotic medicine that is needed to save his or her life. We have an entire system that can only think in absolutes and wants to cover its own *ss more than protect the safety of students. American K-12 education is a sad, sad joke in so many ways.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:04 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Or we could just let the student carry the non-dangerous, non-narcotic medicine that is needed to save his or her life. We have an entire system that can only think in absolutes and wants to cover its own *ss more than protect the safety of students. American K-12 education is a sad, sad joke in so many ways.
My understanding this was a Alternative school, So letting a student carry it might not be a good idea. But they need to have a workable Emergency Plan.

Not Send a Email and Wait.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:18 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,752 times
Just another incident that leaves me shaking my head at my profession....

That young man needs to be back at school, not suspended.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:19 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Not letting an alternative school kid carry an inhaler. What might she do with it?

My 12 year old carries an epi pen. Woe to the administration of any facility who thinks they will restrict her from carrying it. Or who thinks that emailing a school nurse in lieu of calling 911 is acceptable.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:20 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post

As an RN who has worked a lot with kids, and who has a friend who is a health room para, from whom I've learned a lot about school health, it occurs to me that the teacher could use some training in just what can be communicated via email and what cannot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
That's quite a giant leap there. (Note, I just now saw flyonpa's post, after I started this. I agree that may be the reason the student wasn't "carrying".) IME, most kids are given permission to carry an inhaler by age 10 or so. But you're making the assumption that the student had an inhaler available in the office. This may not have been the case. Also, the child obviously needed more than an inhaler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education