Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 11:05 AM

5,522 posts, read 8,778,165 times

Advertisements

I'm posting this on the broader Education board because I hope to get more responses than just the College/University board. (It's already in the NYC forum).

Recently here, a talented young Columbia U student disappeared from school, where she was a science student, only to turn up a few weeks later living the Bohemian life in Williamsburg. She'd set off a frantic citywide search because she told no she was dropping out (except for a few friends), left her dorm w/o telling anyone, skipped classes and finals, changed her phone number and bank account, sold her clothes and belongings, and didn't answer the new phone -- even when her frantic mother called. But eventually the cops found her.

She wrote about why she did it the other day: Why I had to escape my Ivy League life and disappear | New York Post

Lots of kids are unhappy at college, and that can be compounded if you're black at a mostly white, elite, sink-or-swim (so he says. i don't really believe that myself) institution and no longer the smartest kid in the class.

Some folks think she is just an ungrateful, entitled brat. Some take her at her word that she is trying to do what she really wants and not what she's been groomed to do. I wonder about her isolation and possible (clinical) depression.

What do you think? Is it an educational issue, a race issue, a therapeutic issue, or something else?

Last edited by citylove101; 05-31-2016 at 11:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 11:09 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
The WAY she left points to banana pants crazy.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:21 AM

5,522 posts, read 8,778,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The WAY she left points to banana pants crazy.
Yeah, I'm leaning toward that answer myself and hope she's getting some therapeutic help. Lots of kids want to change majors or leave college altogether. That happens all the time. But the way she did it was totally inappropriate.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:46 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,296,566 times
College isn't for everyone, nor should everyone attend right after H.S. She certainly went about it in a bat chit crazy way.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:31 PM

12,855 posts, read 9,071,750 times
Since we don't know the individual, we really don't know what's going on. But she wouldn't be the first one to chuck it all. You'll find students every year at every college around the country doing the same thing. Some just pack up and leave in the middle of the day. Roommate comes back to an empty room. Could be many reasons, from plain old homesickness, to can't handle the academic pace of college, to hate the food.

At least she just left, not like the guy my freshman year who slit his wrists and when he woke up decided that wasn't working so he took a high dive off the math building.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:57 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,788,256 times
If she does't pull it together, she's going to be kicking herself in about 20 years. This happens more than we know. I think the average college graduation rate is at 58% and it takes an average of 6 years of those who do graduate to get their diploma.

Old 06-01-2016, 03:54 AM

391 posts, read 290,630 times
As people always say, not everyone can make it!

If it were easy, everyone would be doing it.

I'm not talking about her specifically since in my life, I've seen several situations where people could not handle whatever "it" was.

I wish her luck, but I'd have to admit, it was a story I skipped over, so I don't know the details. Or maybe the story hit too close to home since I had a family member drop off her kids to another family member and do something very similar.

Nothing mentally wrong she simply could not take her lifestyle and bailed out. If I don't give two craps about these types of people, it comes from an honest place.

Old 06-01-2016, 04:50 AM

11,556 posts, read 53,204,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
If she does't pull it together, she's going to be kicking herself in about 20 years. (snip).
or maybe not.

a college degree has value for some folk and some career paths where the credentials and education are required.

But that's not always the case. Witness the numbers of low paying liberal arts degree opportunities or the many folk with such degrees who aren't working in their degree field.

for others, it turns out to not be so needed to getting along in life, including being happy and making a living.

You cite a high percentage of folk who don't graduate from college ... not all of them turn out to be losers and or economic failures just because they didn't graduate. Nor do you present any evidence that they go on to lead unhappy, unproductive lives.

While the manner in which the OP's subject cut her ties to school was perhaps a bit extreme, what you cannot know is her personal situation ... perhaps family finances or pressures ... which made such a decision her preferred choice.

As well, I know a fair number of college drop-outs who have achieved a lifetime of happiness, good health, and financial success consistent with their needs and wants.

There's a lot of snobbery about having that college degree. For many, it's an expensive ticket to nowhere.

Old 06-01-2016, 05:18 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,203,340 times
Ten, twenty years she'll be in a better position to assess what she did. And ditto for anyone who wants to check up on her and make a judgement.

Lousy way to do it, but that's out of the way...maybe.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:40 AM

4,993 posts, read 5,296,465 times
I don't think she is crazy. I think maybe she found herself. There was a lot of pressure out there for her. Everything she cut out was a form of pressure including her mom. I suspect she just wanted some time to think without a lot of questions. If she had told people what she wanted to do beforehand, there would have been questions. I'm not sure what her real obligations were and which were no longer true obligations once she decided to make a change. Maybe a note to her mom would have been nice. Other than that... does it matter if you don't withdraw from school or don't take finals if you have no intention of staying in school or using that education?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education