Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 12:41 PM

14 posts, read 13,167 times

Advertisements

I posted this in the work and employment section but I am going to post it in Education too, I hope that is ok. I know it is long but I hope for some advice..

I begin by talking about her job situation but the majority of the post is about her education in school and in college.

My daughter is 31 and had to move in with us a few years ago.

The money she makes through her jobs is just really not enough to support rent for an apartment, car payments, insurance etc..she just doesn't make enough to live on. Her apartment was partially paid through a government program, which she accepted but felt embarrassed by, but she lost it when she had some major health complications and had to move in with us.

She has two jobs but both are part time, low paying, dead end jobs. She actually was working three part time jobs but had to quit one because she kept getting so sick. She works hard but can't seem to get into better jobs. I'll get into that later.

She has a good amount of money saved because she's been living with us (she is a saver, not a spender) but the problem with that is you can't really move out and live primarily off of your savings- eventually your savings will be gone and if you're not making enough money to support yourself MONTHLY, then what are you going to do.

She wants to move but is scared she will end up mostly living off her savings and if she had any kind of emergency it could be gone. As it happened she did have to move in with us due to health.

She has a chronic illness involving skin infections, and more alarmingly she had cancer (now beaten!) and on top of that has bipolar disorder as well-- so the idea of costly unexpected issues that could deplete her savings is not a long shot!

We are fine with her being with us, and she is very easy to live with because she is very helpful to us and is respectful of our time and our home. There's no problem there. But we know she is unhappy and wants to be independent, which of course she should be!

She is frustrated at her job situation, but can't seem to change it and we just don't know how to help her.
She had been working, as I said, in low paying jobs that are part time and frankly rather dead end. She had three jobs but quit one due to getting sick constantly.

She applies for lots of jobs but doesn't get interviews that often. She paid for a service to help with her resume and cover letters, thinking maybe those were the problems.
They made her look better on paper, and she did get more interviews after having that service, so that was positive...
but,the jobs she gets interviews for are still pretty much low pay and part time, she never seems to get interviews for "better" jobs.

She does very well when she gets interviews. She's very friendly and a people person and comes off as someone who cares a lot. She's good in person.

Trouble is as I said most jobs she gets interviews for are no better than the jobs she has now.
She applies for better jobs, but most of the time is not called for the better ones.

Many jobs are clerical, receptionist, etc and very often there is a simple test for the job (usually online but sometimes in person) and she never does well, usually doesn't even get the test finished before the timer goes off.

What she really wants to do is be a teacher and I feel for her because she wants it so badly. In terms of personality and creativity, she would be terrific with young children.
Children just gravitate to her, and she is able to get down on their level and make them feel valued and special. And she is so creative! She comes up with great ideas, and is pretty artistic. She is also able to think of a multitude of different ways to explain the same material, so she can really reach kids of all different learning types.

Since she couldn't become a teacher, she tried working in a preschool for a while. She could not be the classroom teacher because she doesn't have an early childhood degree, but she was an assistant teacher. She loved it but kept looking for better jobs because she knew $10 an hour was not going to be enough. She stayed with that job until she found a job that paid a bit more (one of the jobs she has now) which pays $12.38 an hour.
Her other job is minimum wage. As was her third job, when she had it.

When it comes to jobs I just don't know what she can do. I was going to suggest to her that she see about finding a job coach or something like that. Maybe they can direct her.

She always wanted so badly to be a teacher for early childhood, but never could get through the schooling. If you don't mind I'd like to give you a run down on her school experience.
I DID ask her if it was okay with her if I explained her situation on a message board, didn't want to violate her privacy.

She had trouble with math from preschool. We just thought she was slow at picking up things with numbers, and we're not worried because she was terrific in everything else, she was reading way before the other kids and could always read far above her grade level. Since she was such a good reader- and loved to read, everything in sight, and loved to challenge herself always trying to read far beyond her age- we were never worried about her with school.

In second grade though, we asked the school to test her for learning disabilities because her number problems were becoming more evident.
She could add, with difficulty, but all the kids were doing subtraction with borrowing and she couldn't do basic subtraction.
She was tested for learning disabilities. They didn't make her go to a special ed room but she began having extra lessons with a private teacher for special ed which was supposed to help with math. We also helped her at home.
She never progressed though.

The next year, in third grade, she began memorizing multiplication facts. We breathed a sigh of relief that she could do that. What we weren't realizing is that she was not learning, she was memorizing. She did not understand how you arrived at an answer with multiplication. She knew 8 times 7 was 56, but she couldn't tell you why or how.

But memorizing the facts was a temporary fix, and so she tried memorizing subtraction facts, but was unable to memorize those for some reason.

But then in school, fourth grade, they began division and she was once again stuck. She began being pulled out to another room for special ed help with math.

That helped her, but she never made it to grade level.

In fifth grade we switched her to a smaller school where they had a lot more special ed help and smaller class sizes. She did okay there, but again not grade level.

However, she did have one major victory there, which was learning to tell time. In school they learned to tell time in first and second grade, but she just couldn't get it until fifth grade. Although telling time is a skill she actually still struggles with- she can tell you what time it is, but she cannot glance at the clock, she has to look at it for a few minutes and figure it out. She gets embarrassed by that- when everyone else glances at the clock and she can't.

Fifth and sixth grade were a struggle because she just couldn't do much, and we were frustrated because she was in a good school with good help, and we hired a tutor for her to help at home, and during the summer we did tutoring and Sylvan learning center to keep her going and not losing anything over the summer.

In seventh grade she began at the junior high, and she had a great teacher and for some reason a breakthrough was made and she finally learned how to subtract bigger numbers rather than just simple numbers. She finally learned how to use borrowing when subtracting.

We were glad for that to finally happen...but also recognized that learning to subtract in 7th grade was not going to prepare her for high school and we wondered what she was going to do.

In high school, she had more things added to her IEP than she had had in the past, but even the extra accommodations didn't really help because having extra time added to your test or other help is good but it does not make you suddenly understand the material!
At that point she was in the special ed room a lot, she did math in there and a special science class that frankly was more like an elementary school science class. (She was struggling with science too, most likely because there was some math in it by high school).

In high school we were worried she wouldn't graduate with a diploma but would instead be granted one of those certificate of completion which doesn't allow you to go to college.
Her high school guidance counselor recommended her for Post Secondary (PSEO, they called it) which allowed a student to take high school and college classes at the same time and it would count for both high school and college credit.
Normally he said that was for more advanced students, but he felt it would help her because there were some developmental math classes she could take and the high school would consider those as her math requirement for graduation, and the classes would be more on her level. So they'd count the college developmental math and that would help her graduate high school.

At that point we were still thinking she would go to college. So doing PSEO was perfect because she got a head start on getting credit. She failed the math three times but eventually passed (but honestly I think the teacher just passed her through-- the third time she took the class, she had failed most of the tests as usual but the teacher passed her though so I really think she was just trying to help her get done with it.)

She loved college though and was doing well in the other classes she was taking.
After high school she stayed at that community college and kept taking classes.

She wanted to do early childhood education (at a four year university includes licensure for kindergarten through third grade..but in a community college it just includes licensure for birth through age five, so really just preschool rather than elementary school.)

She wanted to do elementary school and fully planned on pursuing it at a four year university once she was done at community college.
She never had any thought that she couldn't do it. And we just encouraged her, because she had always worked very hard and even though things were hard, she never gave up and never got discouraged- she always kept a positive attitude and worked so hard.
She really had no social life at this period because she spent all her time studying. She had friends, ate lunch with them and got together once in a while but mostly she had her nose in the books. She was trying so hard.

She did well with a lot of classes because she was still a good reader, but she had problems with tests even with extra time added and she couldn't seem to RETAIN the information very long.

We REALLY should have pushed her to just go ahead and graduate from the community college..then she would have her degree in early childhood...again, for community college, licensure for early childhood includes birth through age 5 so it's really just preschool, not elementary school grades...Because if she had done that, she would at least have had that degree.

But we didn't encourage that because she planned to transfer to a four year university and get a "real" early childhood degree (a four year university gives licensure for kindergarten through third grade).

Since that was her plan, and we naively thought it would work out, we didn't encourage completing the early childhood at community college and THEN transferring to a four year.

Working in preschool is not very good pay, but if we had encouraged her to do that then she may have felt better about herself because she would at least know she did get a degree in early childhood education and that's a degree she wanted so badly. Even just the name on the diploma- a degree in early childhood education- would have made her feel better, like she had reached a goal..

But we didn't think of it that way. So once she had a lot of credits earned at the community college, she transferred to a four year university, thinking she would continue on and get her early childhood degree from them.

She really struggled in college at the four year university. Even though she had done two years at community college, she ended up spending five years in the four year university.

Her GPA went down when she failed classes of course, and she was working sooo hard, so it was really hard to see her struggling so hard just to not fail a class.
In addition all the stress probably made her health issues worse and she ended up with a ton of medical bills.

She was doing early childhood- not actually in the program yet, still doing gen eds and taking some education courses that you could take before the program.

At the time you had to do the Praxis I exam to get into the college of eduction.
She knew it was going to be a struggle so she began taking courses early that would prepare a student for the testing. She also secured her accommodations early, knowing she would need extra time and other things.

She could not pass any of the practice tests for the Praxis.

In addition, she was getting to the point where her advisor was telling her she was not going to get there because she would need a lot of math courses and she was still in the developmental math classes.
She finally got through the development math courses, but it took many times. Ultimately it took her two years to make it through the developmental series.
She started the first real math class she would need, but failed it twice.

At this point her GPA was really suffering and she ended up taking a lot of easier classes she didn't need just to try to make some A's to bring it up. She was able to bring it up a small amount.

But without being able to to take the real math courses, and not being able to pass the praxis, she had to face that she could not get into the college of education and begin the early childhood education program.

This was devastating to her and maybe we were wrong to encourage her dream in the first place. No one wants to tell their child they cannot achieve their goal.

And one thing I must say is that she never gives up. She works hard and never wants to admit defeat. It killed her to have to accept that she was not going to get into the program and be able to earn the degree.

She did not want to drop out of college, but she became very depressed. She looked into changing her major, but anything she changed to would have still involved math, and anyway she would have been almost starting over.
She briefly changed her major to art, simply because she liked to draw and thought maybe she could do it, and she was pretty good at it, but she would have needed so many art classes to get a degree that she would almost be starting over.
She was not too excited about an art degree anyway because she was pretty good at it but did not enjoy it and said she just couldn't see herself in any art type of job.
We suggested that she could become an art teacher, but she said she didn't want to teach art. We as her parents thought she was good at art, but she said she was discouraged because she was not very good in the classes and usually got C's, and she said she could really see a difference in her work and the other students work. Since we obviously weren't in the classes, we don't know if that was true or just how she felt? It's possible at that point she was discouraged enough that she just didn't feel good enough?

She talked to her advisor and told us the advisor recommend she switch her major to Organizational Leadership because it was a relatively new major they had that was included in the college of education, which meant she wouldn't need too many additional classes, and wouldn't be "starting over".
It turns out the major was full of people who could not get into teaching programs and the business college. I really believe they just created this as "overflow" to give these students something to complete.

She only needed five or six classes in that to graduate. So she did them, got through it, and graduated.
She did need a statistics class for it but after failing again the college let her take a different class that didn't involve math. And let her graduate.

So she has a degree. The trouble is, O.L is a degree not many people are familiar with which makes it hard when jobs specifically say they a degree in business, communications, and other majors like that- which O.L. includes, but is not clear to many people.
She really tries to sell herself in her cover letters and resume- and again, she hired a service to help her get those looking their best- but the other trouble is...

She is just not a business person. She's just not.

She has no sales ability, and she's so much of a "helper" that she can't get herself to try to "sell" to people- she struggles because she wants to tell people what would help them, not what she's trying to sell.

She can't do simple things with math, even with the calculator she struggles...This just hurts us as her parents, we just wish there was a way to make this easier for her...she has struggled with someone paying a .25 cent library fine. She keeps a good attitude most days, but the other day she came home and cried because she was trying to process something and a customer began laughing at her.

In fact, she doesn't get many job interviews BECAUSE their is often an online timed test involving math that she always runs out of time without completing.

In her job now, she takes longer to complete transactions than others and often comes home telling us about a customer who got annoyed with her or yelled at her because of how long it took her to process their transaction.

She has said rather dejectedly that she wishes she could find some sort of routine factory job that would pay enough to cover her living expenses and wouldn't be too hard for her.
A couple of weeks ago she said this, and then started to cry because it is not what she wants, but she feels she's giving up. Yet she does not want to do a mindless job.
She wants a career. Not just an "assistant", but a real career of her own.

We thought of non profits, but she has not been hired for any.
She began volunteering with two of them so far. She hoped that would help her, but she said she had worried that when they see her working it may actually work against her rather than for her!

She thought of working in like a veterinarian hospital with animals but without a vet tech degree she could only be a receptionist (again, business skills and transactions) or she could do grooming, dog washing, etc. which are low pay. She said she doubted she could get a Vet Tech degree, but even with that degree, there is not a lot of return on investment, it is not that much pay. She has also stated that it didn't seem like a career to her, but a job.

She said she is discouraged that she did finally get a four year degree but it hasn't helped her much in getting a career going!

People have always commented to us that she would never have troubles in life because she is so positive and people just LIKE her. I don't know what to tell her anymore. I see her good qualities and I also see how much she has not been able to do.

As a mom, my heart just hurts for her.

She had always been my happy bubbly girl with a glass half full mentality yet I see that dwindling more and more as time goes on.

I don't know what to tell her and I am no longer seeing many options. I am going to suggest she find a "life coach" or job counselor. I don't have any ideas.

I know it broke her heart not to have the ability to teach early elementary school-- but it is just not realistic for her-- and she struggles with having to give up that dream. She always says she feels like such a failure for not being able to earn the license.

I'm starting to feel like someone with her problems may not be able to have a real career...maybe always will have to have just a job rather than a career. Maybe always having to be an assistant or something that didn't require college, even though she does have a degree.

I know this was long but I'm just wondering if there is anyone else out there with a story like hers or has any ideas besides mine of seeking a job coach.

Thank you.

Last edited by CHrab21; 10-25-2016 at 01:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 06:48 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,665,683 times
I'm going to be honest - I only read about 30% of that, so I apologize if anything in the last 2/3 was critical to my understanding of the situation, but I don't think your daughter's situation is terribly uncommon.

I think this is simply the state of the economy today. Years of high unemployment created wage stagnation (and depression), but prices continued to rise modestly. People adjusted, and now that unemployment is low and wages are rising, prices of other things are still continuing to rise, but at an increased pace. This is simply the reality of being 31. (I'm 30). Life is difficult to afford off 40 hours a week at $13 an hour. In some metro areas it isn't even possible.

My suggestion (and what I did at 25) is to get a roommate or two. I lived with 3 guys on the east bench of Salt Lake City for two years. Not only was it fun, but it was cheap. I got to live in one of the nicest parts of town for about $400 a month. Not only did this build my confidence due to living "on my own", but I made social connections with the right people, and was able to network. This led to some fantastic friendships, a spouse, a better job, and eventually a life that I feel happy to have.

Realistically, though many don't want to recognize it, the economy really screwed people of mine and your daughter's generation. We can afford crap on the garbage entry level wages we earn after our unpaid internships, and we're expected to not only afford all that crap we can't afford, but also contribute to retirement, pay astronomical health insurance premiums, and pay down student loans. It's completely unrealistic. Your daughter isn't broken, she's simply the product of an economy which looked worse and worse, every year, for about a decade. I don't personally believe an Associates Degree makes anyone more competitive, but it may give a boost of confidence. That's not really my call.

The only useful advice I have, if she wants to move out, is to suggest or help her find a roommate. Her little emergency fund will come in handy, and a roommate and a bus pass go a long way in helping people meet their monthly expenses when they earn $12 an hour in today's ever-more-expensive market.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:14 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,290,389 times
You say she is creative. Has she ever considered any sort of culinary career? I know you didn't mention cooking, but I was trying to think of something that wasn't mindless, business related, and didn't involve heavy math. What about graphic design? There are two year programs for that at community colleges.

My children are much younger than yours, but I can emphasize with what you are feeling as a parent. It is heartbreaking to see your child struggle.

Old 10-28-2016, 01:36 PM

14 posts, read 13,167 times
Thank you both for your kind and helpful posts the one talking about her generation was very interesting, especially since it is so very different than when I was young and just out of college.
The idea of finding a roommate is a great idea, too.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:37 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,941,289 times
If she's good with children, could she possible work at a Y, 4-H center or in a museum setting? She might start out at a low salary, but with time and perseverance these positions could open up into something permanent or with a title, that would be the beginning of a career path. I think the idea of a job coach might be helpful, check with your community/county offices~they often have resources for the underemployed. How about a teacher's aide in a public school setting? Again, a low starting salary, but if she were 1 on 1 with a young student and did well, she might be eligible for annual raises and some benefits.

I would also check with her physician or the community health care department to see if her illness qualifies her for any accommodations or support services. You mentioned that she, at one time, qualified for some help with her rent through a government program~perhaps this can be renewed?

As for the living situation, it is not uncommon these days for people to have to live at home for longer, or to find roommates in congregate housing. You're lucky that your lifestyles are compatible and that she has and is accepting of your support.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:58 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Have you looked into any organizations that help young adults who are developmentally disabled with either training or job placement? I realize that your daughter is high functioning, but there are a number of programs that will assist this type of population. Unfortunately, they do tend to place people in jobs that pay hourly wages, but sometimes they do have some sort of career path. Friend's son got into a program that placed him as a civilian worker in an airforce base delivering the mail. While his direct employer was this agency, not the US government, he did earn above minimum wage, received raises, health insurance, and a 401K. He could probably afford an apartment with a roommate, but lives at home by choice.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:14 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Things are not going to be improving much. Globalization and technology have pretty much killed our job market for the foreseeable future. Sure there are jobs out there but the vast majority of them aren't worth showing up for. No money, no benefits, and part time to boot. As your daughter already knows, you can get 2 or 3 of them and still not make ends meet.

Yes, I know this is a hard pill to swallow but I think she needs to get a Social Worker and apply for everything she is eligible for including SSDI. She will also get Medicaid for her health insurance and probably SNAP and a free phone. Then she can do whatever she wants to do as a volunteer. Just make sure she knows exactly how much money she can make before her benefits are put in jeopardy. Then she will be able to survive. She has to be able to make it without you. What if you were not there?

Old 11-01-2016, 01:13 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
Sometimes we need to accept that what we WANT and what we have talents/skills for are not the same.

I would recommend, since you want so desperately to assist her, that you have her "assessed" to see what her strengths are and have a guidance counselor help her with some ideas based on these strengths to work on.

Life is not easy for some, a breeze for others, but we all need to strive to be the best we can with what God gives us in the way of skills and talents.

I am grateful you are supportive and understanding of her, and that she is respectful and easy to live with....too many parents face "grown kids" that are NOT, and it is heartbreaking to watch the struggle those parents contend with feeling their sense of "responsibility" as a parent....

Old 11-01-2016, 04:53 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I have 2 working adult kids living with me who don't have any real issues except lack of money in a high COL area. It is what it is for now and at least we get on well. It's not easy anymore like it was for me in the 70's where many entry level jobs could not only get you an apartment and a car but also turn into long term careers.

If there is anything specific she likes to do maybe she can create a bit of business for herself. A friends son placed an ad to set up and maintain fishtanks because it was something he always liked doing for himself and now that's what he does. Pet sitting, nanny, other personal service type things are always in demand. There's something to be said for working for yourself.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:27 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
First, my hugs to you CHrab21. Your post tells me how tough and stressful this situation is for you. You must be a good mom to be so concerned.

When my daughter first got out of college, she had a hard time figuring out what she wanted to do for a living. Our local community college had a class that people could take that was about career planning that was helpful to her, if only to find out that there were others in similar confusion. So, you might contact your local community college to see if they offer a similar class or career counseling services to locals. If not, ask the career services office at the community college if they can point you to similar services/programs in your area. I know where I live there are some state run job counseling programs.

But, in addition, you might look into hiring a professional career counselor to work with your daughter. I'm a former college counselor and some of my former students worked with career counselors after college to figure out a plan for what came next. They found it very helpful.

If you and your daughter decide this would be helpful, I'd recommend seeing whether you can find a local member of the National Career Development Association, as members have to meet certain education and training requrements. The NCDA has a searchable membership directory, as well as other helpful information on career planning on their website here: NCDA | Need Career Help?

Even if there is not a local NCDA member, some NCDA members do work with clients via internet video chats, so don't give up if you don't see someone.

Expect to pay $75-$150 an hour.

Finally, it sounds like your daughter may benefit from some psychological therapy. A good therapist experienced with working with young adults, should be able to help her work through any personal issues that may be holding her back and that may be helpful in conjunction with the other things I've suggested. I couldn't find in your post whether your daughter is currently meeting with a therapist, but if not, your daughter's doctor and/or her health insurance provider should be able to help her find someone.

I am making all of these suggestions saying "you" because as a parent myself, I know how I wish I could jump in and "fix" things for my own two kids (who are close to your daughter's age now). But, I've learned that my "help" at this point is limited; I can't solve their problems for them. As adults, they have to take charge and solve their own problems, as hard as it may be for me as a parent to watch all of the twists and turns they go through.

So, with that in mind, may I suggest that you do the research for your daughter on the above resources, but then just provide her with the information, rather than schedule appointments for her and let her take things from there if she desires. As parents, sometimes we have to put it into our children's hands, in order for them to find the strength to move forward.

Because your post does make it sound like you may be really under stress about the situation too, it might be helpful for you to also talk to a Family Therapist about your feelings about your daughter's situation. While that won't directly solve things for your daughter, it may help you develop some tools and approaches for talking to her about your feelings and thoughts on her situation and that may ultimately help both you and your daughter. Sometimes, in order to help those we love, we need to take care of ourselves first.

I wish you and your daughter both all the best in this challenging time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education