Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 01:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times

Advertisements

As far as test scores, there is pretty much a direct relationship between test scores and SES, so schools with high scores will tend to be in higher income areas, with a few exceptions. Of course, schools with high test scores don't tell you how your child will do on the tests.

School websites often have demographics, including some that coldjensens mentioned such as # of students on free/reduced lunch. The websites can also give you an idea of many of the other things cj mentioned, such as AP courses offered, other course offerings. You can find out which sports and activities the school offers. Here's my kids' high school: Monarch High

Demographics: Student Demographics

Also, Google the school. You'll find a wealth of information, e.g. sports stuff, "bad" news (drug arrests), etc.

I would leave out the judgemental stuff cj wrote about. Not only is there no one "best" school, there is usually no one school that is the "best" for your kid unless your kid has some very special needs. Then you research which schools have offerings for that need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 12:15 PM

50,730 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destiny74 View Post
Sorry I didn't specify- I'm looking at high schools, not universities.
That would be even easier, as high schools are public, and so the crime info will be public info (while private colleges can keep this info to themselves, public schools of any type cannot) Dig into City Data or your state website that keeps crime stats for the area of the schools and the crime in the school and around it.

Again, I think if you ask the people on City Data who live in the areas you are thinking of, you will get good answers. I asked lots of questions about various neighborhoods in Houston before I went down there and got an apartment. The City Data state forums are broken down well, for instance Houston has separate forums for different areas of Houston.

Old 01-28-2017, 06:39 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That would be even easier, as high schools are public, and so the crime info will be public info (while private colleges can keep this info to themselves, public schools of any type cannot) Dig into City Data or your state website that keeps crime stats for the area of the schools and the crime in the school and around it.

Again, I think if you ask the people on City Data who live in the areas you are thinking of, you will get good answers. I asked lots of questions about various neighborhoods in Houston before I went down there and got an apartment. The City Data state forums are broken down well, for instance Houston has separate forums for different areas of Houston.
You're quite wrong about public schools being able to make "crime" information public. Police departments may. Courts may. But the schools cannot due to the confidentiality of information about minors. Most such information even at the court level is sealed about minors.

Old 01-28-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You're quite wrong about public schools being able to make "crime" information public. Police departments may. Courts may. But the schools cannot due to the confidentiality of information about minors. Most such information even at the court level is sealed about minors.
If it is an actual crime, the police were involved. The school is not going to self-discipline a case where an actual crime is committed, you;re quite wrong. You don't need the info unsealed, all she needs are statistics. A high school where police were called 43 times over the course of the year is going to have more crime than a school where the police were called once. It's not rocket science which school would be in a safer area nor is this info secret, the stats of how many times police were called to the school IS public information. It doesn't matter for what, the sheer number calls would indicate big problems regardless.

Old 01-28-2017, 10:59 PM

804 posts, read 545,126 times
To keep things short. It will kill you a lot more faster if your unhappy then being poor. I would rather be a hungry fish then a fat fish. This way I am able to get away from the line more faster. However most prefer to be a fat cat then a lean cat with my "master" weighting on me and hand and foot.

A lot of people just do not admit. They do not understand what they are talking about. So I say go to college and actual learn. Again go to college and actually learn. Do not judge.

There is not much more around it. There are evil people who will give there money to whores, materialistic goods, and self destructive behavior then make a sacrifice for there children to live a better life.

What else could be said. Slow and steady wins the race. But the rabbit is the one everybody is watching?

Old 01-29-2017, 01:11 AM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
If it is an actual crime, the police were involved. The school is not going to self-discipline a case where an actual crime is committed, you;re quite wrong. You don't need the info unsealed, all she needs are statistics. A high school where police were called 43 times over the course of the year is going to have more crime than a school where the police were called once. It's not rocket science which school would be in a safer area nor is this info secret, the stats of how many times police were called to the school IS public information. It doesn't matter for what, the sheer number calls would indicate big problems regardless.
What did I say -- that the courts or police might make information public, but not the school.

Old 01-29-2017, 01:40 AM

473 posts, read 502,018 times
GRAMMAR SCHOOL:
I was raised in magnet school in elementary and I can tell you it was a complete disappointment, even though popular with the wealthy kids. All the neighborhood kids in middle class area had to be accepted but did not need to pass the performance test required of the kids who were bused in. Dirty secret is the parents were expected to do the teaching, which suited some of the wealthiest (some of whom provided tutors) but most of the neighborhood kids with blue collar parents were totally unsupported with no homework help, no presentations on math/reading, and not even a teacher who graded papers. NO PRESENTATIONS AT ALL EXCEPT ON THE 'SUBJECT' OF THE SCHOOL....My own father thought helping your own kid with homework was wrong so I just struggled along 'not passing' most of elementary with a mother who just didn't understand the teaching was up to her...Honestly, she worked until 9 pm then came home to freak out on me about whatever so I NEVER explained I needed to 'see some instruction' to understand math at least. You know I cheated since we had to grade our own papers too. What else could I do? I just left this go...At JR high school, it was a real relief to have teachers who actually taught the class together, did a presentation and gave an assignment, then let kids ask questions. I excelled. I graduated with honors with my bachelor of arts degree in journalism. While I'm not the best copy editor due to my bad elementary school with a 5-6th grade teacher who could not even present grammar to the students, I can support myself fine in professional work.

Is just better to expect to be your kid's teacher at some point during his/her childhood if you get a 'bad one' this year teaching your kids. Especially boys do not take frustration easily and will easily quit trying which can impact the rest of his life.

HIGH SCHOOL:
I know, the current crime statistics COMPLETELY cover up ALMOST ALL drug activity for neighborhoods. If the free-lunch rate is high, there will easily be drugs available. The suburban schools or little bit farther (if your employment allows) are where there is a little more security from 'the hood' drug issues as long as you can encourage your child to stay away from the parties as is just the beginning of the end of be involved with these kind of teens. Most of the suburbs have a cheaper area with older houses or even trailer court...this can be a good alternative if you are wanting to put your child in a school with low drug availability. Providing your teen lots of opportunity to inter-mingle with the 'career set' middle class as shadowing and providing lots of opportunities for enrichment in arts, music, science, technology and your little geek may not want anything to do with 'being popular'....If she feels her place is with these and she easily excels in these areas, it will be natural.

COLLEGE:
So sadly, I've been watching some REALLY BAD discrimination happening at some of the colleges targeting the older or female students (exwives, unwilling mistresses, rape victims), while the other students are told to keep quiet and allow the lynching to go down -- scary but some of the witnesses will develop psych symptoms of their own or at least long insomnia attack. This was being reported all over KANSAS and Missouri, and mental care was sending in their representative to explain what is happening and debrief these kids to lie....I STRONGLY advise you to pay cash for 1-2 classes for your kid at nearby community college and see how the staff act in the subject your kid will be studying. If your child drops classes due to mistreatment, you will have to immediately pay back pell grants even and student loans...IF YOUR KID WITNESSES ANY MISTREATMENT OF ANOTHER STUDENT, LEAVE THE CLASSROOM AT BREAK AND DO NOT RETURN. I would go straight to the counselors and try to change to another Section of this class or take it online later. Is only worth it to complain to deans and leave...However, some deans have been forced into silence by their community. If your closer college has problems, would look at next county's community school and take it online only visiting once or twice a semester as needed to pay/books/enroll...Online education is a relief in order to use our RIGHT to education if able to perform well enough and get professional employment, even if your kid leaves area for an internship immediately upon graduating if you see too many adults being ruined in your community by sex harassments/hostile workplace and no attorneys will help. Some smaller cities are a harsh place unless you give into mistreating people. Some smaller cities are a career buster and fast-food hell, nothing more after the big factories closed up and left.

Would definitely try for certification or Associates that has lots of job opportunities locally or in another place if you want to relocate. Hiring is quick, jobs are stable and beginning pay will allow you to self support/manage your student loans.

Trying to socialize on college campus with the wealthies at Greek (sorority/fraternity) was getting some kids hurt and even start to develop PTSD for living away from family while socializing with the wrong kind of wealthies. Many times the working students are safer as they don't socialize with the weathies and it keeps you okay to avoid these as long as you don't run into a crazy professor who is verbally abusing some of the students.

I ALWAYS enjoyed academics after a childhood being called stupid and ugly by a parent, my own self esteem came from my work and ability to self support so I didn't have to be treated like this again. AFter the discrimination system I've seen forming in higher education, I'm kind of worried. Some CEOs have expressed concern when the better job candidates are foreign exchange students, kids of wealthy foreigners like Muslims and Indians, who are being allowed to use the US colleges without being screwed and turn out to be a more mentally stable worker right now instead of our own....This situation does worry me. I've never seen anything this messed up and it's tolerated.

Last edited by cattalk1; 01-29-2017 at 02:03 AM..

Old 01-29-2017, 07:24 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,732,440 times
If you have a school in mind speak to the local police department.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
What did I say -- that the courts or police might make information public, but not the school.
Yes, that is why I told OP many posts ago to research via the police departments and state/city statistics. There is no reason to call the school at all to do this research. My point was, because it is public high schools and not private colleges she is researching, all the crime info is public info. What difference does it make who made it public info as long as OP can find the statistics?

Old 01-29-2017, 08:25 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,652,560 times
Can you visit the area? What are bus-stop pick-up and drop-offs like. Can you see you and your children there? Statistics can scare people away from acceptable areas or assure them into unacceptable ones. There is little substitute for direct experience and familial-concern-driven "gut feeling".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education