Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 07:05 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times

Advertisements

Apparently by "low educated" you mean no formal education beyond high school.

Many people are highly educated but did not go to college. They learned on their own, or they learned by running a business.

I can tell you a guy who started a little landscaping business right out of high school, and built it up to a multi-million dollar company over 10 - 15 years, likely knows a lot more about business than some kid graduating with an MBA from a top school having never worked, or only worked in food service.

Every kind of people may not complete a college degree. Some just don't like college. Some have a family crises, financial crises, mental crises, physical disability, all kinds of things can happen. Quite a lot of people start college and do not finish their degree. Some (but not enough) go to trade school).

Someone who did not go to or complete college can be from any background, rich, poor, educated parents, uneducated parents, no parents, one parent. There really is no stereotype.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 07:26 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,422,895 times
Once in a while you'll find a wealthy high school dropout who invented some gadget or who has a particular talent in a lucrative field like bond trading. But that's more man-bites-dog than normal. Most high school dropouts remain poor.

I graduated in 1978 and there was one guy I knew, a year older than me, who dropped out. Not sure what ever became of him but I wouldn't be surprised if he's dead.

My grandmother was born in 1903 and left school after 8th grade to help raise her younger siblings. That was common back then for girls to either get married or help with younger siblings and for boys to go to work as laborers and such, but not today.

Old 02-08-2017, 07:30 AM

804 posts, read 544,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
I'm talking in more generalities. Poor people by average are less educated.
Here is the problem with that statement. There are "poor" people who hold masters in various fields that is lucrative and yet they are homeless. Does that make any sense? In my opinion it is a mental problem that stems from there family tree. I can not blame the individual but root of that led that specific person down that path. It is like the saying "I might be poor but I am happy" or "I might be poor but I am not picking up trash for a living" or "I might be poor but I work with nude people", or "I might be poor but I get to be inside a really nice place".

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
My grandmother was born in 1903 and left school after 8th grade to help raise her younger siblings. That was common back then for girls to either get married or help with younger siblings and for boys to go to work as laborers and such, but not today.
That is because people of yesterday was brave enough to do what was right. This is a very old problem. I did something similar. Slave away for somebody meanwhile somebodies sons who are older then me would verbally insult my major or not even mention anything with college.

Last edited by DanArt; 02-08-2017 at 08:00 AM..

Old 02-08-2017, 07:43 AM

255 posts, read 200,094 times
IMO, lowly educated people tend to shun learning new things. Demographically speaking, most lowly educated people are in lower income brackets. But earning a low income does not necessarily mean you have a low education. Lowly educated people tend to gravitate towards menial, routine jobs that change very little over time. Lowly educated people tend to gravitate towards things like feelings and faith rather than science and data.

Of course, this is just based off my own observation.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:07 AM

853 posts, read 647,781 times
Thank you for your answers. Now another question: Have you ever meet somebody that having a good family and financially supported that means can get a college degree has voluntarily wasted his/her life in terms of education and is low educated (top education level: high school or lower)? If so, tell me such stories.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:08 AM

804 posts, read 544,837 times
I feel the opposite of that statement. I call them "low-mind" people. Similar to "low-culture" and "high-culture". The only reason they have the ability to do more things outside of there employment bracket is because they have a job ( they call a career ) that has become repetitive and results in speedy efforts and work. Usually escaping into another field would indicate negative response from co-workers or lack of response to something else in life. Like I learned something but moved to a different department over excuses.

About menial, routine jobs is usually due to a block in a persons career path. I can not judge a persons life or ability of employment.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:24 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
Have you ever met anybody that has had a good family and was financially supported
...has voluntarily wasted his/her life in terms of education and is low educated...
Of course. I suspect that you have as well.

Quote:
If so, tell me such stories.
No thanks.

Generally though... they are rather rare.
Even if not formally educated these people will still tend to be bright enough
to have completed formal education and will be well read and well informed.
---

As to the value judgment imposed on the discussion by your term "wasted"...
that opens a whole other can of worms that probably belongs in the Philosophy or Psychology forums.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:33 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,926,019 times
Education level by the state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...nal_attainment

Old 02-08-2017, 08:36 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,007,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanArt View Post
Here is the problem with that statement. There are "poor" people who hold masters in various fields that is lucrative and yet they are homeless. Does that make any sense? In my opinion it is a mental problem that stems from there family tree. I can not blame the individual but root of that led that specific person down that path. It is like the saying "I might be poor but I am happy" or "I might be poor but I am not picking up trash for a living" or "I might be poor but I work with nude people", or "I might be poor but I get to be inside a really nice place".

No, it doesn't make any sense when someone says they're talking in generalities and you bring up anecdotal evidence.

Poor people on average are universally less educated. That's not a normative statement. There is no place on earth where the poor are equally represented in regards to educational attainment. To argue this would be to deny reality.

You probably got some whole thought process going on in your head that makes perfect sense to you; however, if you're arguing what I just said, you're wrong. You're dead wrong.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:38 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
Thank you for your answers. Now another question: Have you ever meet somebody that having a good family and financially supported that means can get a college degree has voluntarily wasted his/her life in terms of education and is low educated (top education level: high school or lower)? If so, tell me such stories.
Sure. My husband. He graduated from high school, and his parents insisted that he go to college. He didn't want to go to college. They told him he could live at home and they would pay for everything. It had no effect. He dropped out of several colleges, including UCI. He'll be 50 this year and has no college degree. So, I guess you could say he "voluntarily wasted his life in terms of education and is low educated (high school or lower)."

He also owns his own business and easily supports our family of 5 in Orange County, CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education