Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2017, 02:44 AM

107 posts, read 118,926 times

Advertisements

We will likely move in the direction of more local control, less red tape and fewer federal regulations.
There has to be a reason teachers are the largest single contributor to federal political campaigns.
Schools have become so regulated, one district has little to differentiate itself from another. But that is not why the teachers are such big political donors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 04:39 AM

168 posts, read 150,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Since when do we get to individually decide where our taxes go? Yes, let's open that gate and allow everyone to decide individually how taxes are spent! what could possibly go wrong?

Btw, for all you "leftist scum" talk, have you ever looked at which states have the best public schools? I'll give you a hint, they are typically pretty blue.
Btw which country has the best schools. I'll give you a hint. It's not us. We're not even close. But by all means let's keep doing what we're doing.

Old 02-19-2017, 05:57 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDMP77 View Post
Btw which country has the best schools. I'll give you a hint. It's not us. We're not even close. But by all means let's keep doing what we're doing.
As an educator it frustrates me to no end that we refuse to take a lesson from countries that manage to educate better than we do. We're so worried about protecting feelings we are failing to prepare our kids for life.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:58 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,236,654 times
Quote:
We're actually doing fairly well for a country in which about 1/4 of our students are growing up in poverty. What we aren't doing well at is making sure we don't have 1/4 of our students growing up in poverty.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:26 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
As an educator it frustrates me to no end that we refuse to take a lesson from countries that manage to educate better than we do. We're so worried about protecting feelings we are failing to prepare our kids for life.
25 years ago or so, Japan was considered "the best" here in the US anyway. This was still prior to widespread use of the internet for message boards like this anyway, so it was in articles in parenting magazines, news magazines, etc that touted the Japanese educational system because their students were scoring at the top of the international education tests. Then the Japanese system was looked at in greater depth, and it was found that big surprise, their system isn't perfect. Right now, it's Finland. Finland, Finland, Finland. So funny, to me, that a country the population size of Minnesota or Colorado is one we should emulate. Now from what we see and hear of Finland's system, it looks pretty good. I'm sure if we examined it closely, its flaws would also become apparent. But y'know what? These two systems could not be more different from each other. About the only thing they have remotely in common is that both serve a very homogeneous population, Japan more than Finland even. So, do we adopt the intense, rote memorization style of the Japanese, with kids going to "enrichment" classes outside of school and other extra-curricular activities? Or do we adopt the more laid-back approach of Finland?

Old 02-19-2017, 07:34 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
25 years ago or so, Japan was considered "the best" here in the US anyway. This was still prior to widespread use of the internet for message boards like this anyway, so it was in articles in parenting magazines, news magazines, etc that touted the Japanese educational system because their students were scoring at the top of the international education tests. Then the Japanese system was looked at in greater depth, and it was found that big surprise, their system isn't perfect. Right now, it's Finland. Finland, Finland, Finland. So funny, to me, that a country the population size of Minnesota or Colorado is one we should emulate. Now from what we see and hear of Finland's system, it looks pretty good. I'm sure if we examined it closely, its flaws would also become apparent. But y'know what? These two systems could not be more different from each other. About the only thing they have remotely in common is that both serve a very homogeneous population, Japan more than Finland even. So, do we adopt the intense, rote memorization style of the Japanese, with kids going to "enrichment" classes outside of school and other extra-curricular activities? Or do we adopt the more laid-back approach of Finland?
Hmmm??? What do both of the countries you just talked about have in common?

Old 02-19-2017, 08:26 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Hmmm??? What do both of the countries you just talked about have in common?
A homegeneous population. What are you suggesting, some sort of mass deportation of all but Native Americans? Finland's population, I would argue, is also too small to really judge conclusions from. Its population is about the same as Minnesota's or Colorado's.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 02-19-2017 at 09:20 AM..

Old 02-19-2017, 08:48 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,278,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
You better believe I would have used my TAXPAYER DOLLARS to voucher him into a more LEGAL and accommodating school.
I'm sorry you had all of those experiences with public schools. But I will say this: It is highly unlikely that any school of choice (voucher or charter) is going to offer more services than your local public school for a student on an IEP with such challenges. Special needs students are generally much more costly to educate and score lower on standardized tests, which means when schools have a profit-motive and are competing with one another based on assessment-based measurement systems, most will turn away special needs students with serious challenges. And some school might even start turning away students with parents who make excessive demands.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:30 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Silly. No one is undermining it. There is no draft legislation to do anything.
Silly. Apparently you didn't read the article accompanying that post.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:15 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Okay, so let's take your proposition that the country (or countries) with the best schools is/are not us. Okay. So let's look at what those countries have that you don't want us to have -- a national education policy. If I'm wrong, I will concede the point, but you have to show me the evidence that the countries with the "best" schools (whatever that means) don't have a national education policy. Of the 4 countries I've traveled in extensively, they all had national education policies. And to me it seems very logical that the United States should have a national education policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education