Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 11:54 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,444,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post

http://www.mapsofworld.com/continent...tinent-map.jpg

I count 6 not 7 yet many want to suggest otherwise..including internet sites~~

Count again. Antarctica is at the bottom of the map, and the name is shown in the same typeface as the other 6 continents, for a total of 7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 12:25 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,420,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
This extended argument some of you are in about how many continents there are is an excellent example of how students are often taught information that is of little or no use, as compared to being taught things such as (but not limited to) critical thinking skills. Even as a former science teacher who had a minor in geography in college, I fail to see anything important about the number of continents, other than as a point of information. Now if you were talking about the number of continental plates, okay, that's significant information because it affects things such as earthquakes, volcanoes, sea floor spreading, etc. But as to the number of continents...I guess maybe it's just a minor part of cultural literacy...at best.
At best?! I prefer to converse with individuals that are proficient in geographical locations. People who know where places are seem more interesting to me than those who don't.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:50 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Antarctica is the 3rd smallest of the 7 continents in terms of land area.
Yes, I was including the ice shelves, which sort of undermines the whole landmass component. Duh.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:56 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
At best?! I prefer to converse with individuals that are proficient in geographical locations. People who know where places are seem more interesting to me than those who don't.
Knowing that there are X number of continents shows little intelligence or sophistication. It doesn't even mean they know where they are. Which has been demonstrated on this thread by a few people who don't know the difference between the North and South Poles.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:06 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
Interesting. I find people who are intelligent enough and educated enough to understand that the number of continents is somewhat arbitrary to be the most interesting. In fact, you will find several different numbers out there, and all are correct. There are perfectly sound arguments for different numbers and different criteria, and no reason at all to assume there is only one right number.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:12 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Sometimes Europe and Asia are referred to as Eurasia. The Indian subcontinent, a remnant of Gondwanaland, has welded itself to Asia firmly enough not to be considered a separate continent. For some reason, possibly European ego, this has not applied to Europe and Asia although the Ural Mountains are far older then the Himalayas.

REUNITE GONDWANALAND

Old 02-16-2017, 03:04 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,084,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
This extended argument some of you are in about how many continents there are is an excellent example of how students are often taught information that is of little or no use, as compared to being taught things such as (but not limited to) critical thinking skills. Even as a former science teacher who had a minor in geography in college, I fail to see anything important about the number of continents, other than as a point of information. Now if you were talking about the number of continental plates, okay, that's significant information because it affects things such as earthquakes, volcanoes, sea floor spreading, etc. But as to the number of continents...I guess maybe it's just a minor part of cultural literacy...at best.
Yeah... It really does not matter if Europe is a continent or not. That being said I should be able to expect kids to know what I mean when I say "the Greek city state of Athens was located in Europe" or "the Mongol empire spread from cental Asia into China, Europe and the middle east."

Old 02-16-2017, 04:05 PM

894 posts, read 587,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaemily View Post
I found out after talking to my friend who is our local middle school social studies teacher, she told me the fifth graders coming up don't know that there are seven continents let alone the names of those continents.

She told me the curriculum maker is making kids do these writing journals which somehow fulfill the standards for science and social studies. But if you are a kid who is not good at reading and writing you are out of luck.
How can a public school stop teaching science and social studies? How is this possible? Is this what our country has come to?
If this is true that those important subjects really were cut out, I'm shocked and saddened.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:19 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
Yeah... It really does not matter if Europe is a continent or not. That being said I should be able to expect kids to know what I mean when I say "the Greek city state of Athens was located in Europe" or "the Mongol empire spread from cental Asia into China, Europe and the middle east."
That I agree with.

And it's why I have sometimes laughed out loud at people when they would go on and on about the Vietnam War or North Korea, and I'd hand them a black map of the world and ask them to point to the country they were pretending to know so much about and they couldn't even come close.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:30 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Land Mass--- Nope it's a MASS of ICE.. and when melted there will be NADDA.
I've been to Antarctica. You're mistaken when you say there is no land. There is land. Well, rock (nothing like soil except for penguin poop, which is euphemistically called "ornithological soil.") I've walked on it. Actually, penguins make birds nests out of pebbles. A few pics I took:

Last edited by SportyandMisty; 02-16-2017 at 06:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education